Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

CO2 alarm

I know this has been discussed, but I just have my iPhone and iPad, so can't really do a search. Last night, was 25 degrees, thought we would put on the furnace instead of the heat pump. Within 5 minutes the CO2 alarm went off. So, finally got it shut off and put the heat pump back on. Do y'all think it was the actual furnace or the CO2 alarm itself? BTW so happy we bought a space heater! It is actually comfortable in here.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

How much have you used the furnace up till now did you notice any odor?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
How much have you used the furnace up till now did you notice any odor?
First time we turned on the furnace, and yes, a little bit of a heat smell. But it was probably only on for 2 minutes or so. Guess I need to get it checked out.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
First time we turned on the furnace, and yes, a little bit of a heat smell. But it was probably only on for 2 minutes or so. Guess I need to get it checked out.
The smell for only two minutes is more than enough.
Had the same thing happen when we used the furnace the first time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=co2+...iverforums.com

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57752919,d.cGU
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
2018 FR3 30DS

Debbie, join the club of many. We hadn't had our Solera long before we had the CO detector replaced while under warrenty. Didn't do any good. The furnace (after 3 years) still makes it alarm. So, I disconnected the detector and purchased a CO detector that can be placed anywhere.
You can also purchase a separate propane detector if so desired.
We use a small quartz heater about the size of a bread box and it is adequate in 20 degree weather...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

The CO detectors seem to be extremely sensitive. I had our rig parked in the driveway last weekend and at one point my neighbor came to tell me an alarm was going off.

Nothing was on. In fact the propane was shut off at the tank. As it turns out, my neighbor had been doing some sheet metal welding in his driveway about 20 feet away and was using a torch. We think the fumes from the torch were enough to set it off. That is really all I can think of.

It doesn't usually go off when we use the heater though.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Your heat exchanger will come with a lite coat of oil on it so it will not rust sitting around. That will burn off the first time you use it. It is normal do not worry. Also after the first time you use it you might get a smell now and then, that is just from the dust collected on it or in the vents....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
The CO detectors seem to be extremely sensitive. I had our rig parked in the driveway last weekend and at one point my neighbor came to tell me an alarm was going off.

Nothing was on. In fact the propane was shut off at the tank. As it turns out, my neighbor had been doing some sheet metal welding in his driveway about 20 feet away and was using a torch. We think the fumes from the torch were enough to set it off. That is really all I can think of.

It doesn't usually go off when we use the heater though.
they are, they can go off by different propellants like bug spray, hair spray, and even cooking. I just fan the sensor and it will shut off.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

First time with the furnace, huh! Jealous of you southern types that hardly ever have a cold night! Oh well, at least we don't have to run our A/C as often! Looking forward to having to run it a LOT next month in Florida.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #10

Wondering, does the heating system in all Soleras' come equipped with a heat pump along with the furnace, or was that an add?
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Wondering, does the heating system in all Soleras' come equipped with a heat pump along with the furnace, or was that an add?
Can't really answer your question. But I think all RV'S should come with a heat pump plus a 5kw heat strip and a furnace. We are maybe talking 100.00 bucks more for a heat pump compared to A/C only. gets below 40 and then use your furnace. Other then that you can just use the HP to take the chill off.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

I don't know if they all come with a heat pump or not. Glad ours did, or we would be heading home!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
The basic model is a 13K BTU A/C. The optional 15K BTU A/C comes with the heat pump. Not sure, but I think its part of an upgrade package, too. Whatever the extra cost, I think it's well worth it. We camped on up into mid-November, and that heat pump saved us a lot of propane. Only time we used the furnace was when we were boondocking (or Waldocking!!! ) Don't like to run genny just to operate the heat pump!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #14

Your CO detector probably was triggered by furnace burning off oil (as mentioned above) or dust. Also triggers on other things like hair spray,etc. Remember that Carbon Monoxide is odorless, colorless gas. The time to be concerned is when your detector goes off and you cannot explain why (like first use of furnace).
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I have a PDF of my propane detector.
Reading it might give you some clues.

Also, I am not 100% sure we are talking about the same thing.

I have a CO detector on the ceiling in the master bed room and a Smoke detector in the living room/kitchen area. The propane detector is under the fridge next to the power center in my rig.

My CO detector did go bad after 3 years and I replaced it with a Kiddie combo smoke/CO unit from Home Depot. A bit more expensive but it doubled the number of smoke detectors in the camper.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Propane Detector.pdf (1.41 MB, 24 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #16

Solera and Sunseeker have a combination Propane and CO detector. On Sunseeker they have been at floor level at the entry step although in another thread it says they are being relocated for fewer false alarms on new units. They have an expected life of 5 years and will warn when going bad (although like anything they may fail at any time). Being at the entry door, they can be influenced by outside elements. When my propane regulator went bad and was leaking the detector went off. Not a bad thing I suppose, but the leak was outside, not inside. Spraying sunscreen just outside the door set it off once.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Solera and Sunseeker have a combination Propane and CO detector. On Sunseeker they have been at floor level at the entry step although in another thread it says they are being relocated for fewer false alarms on new units. They have an expected life of 5 years and will warn when going bad (although like anything they may fail at any time). Being at the entry door, they can be influenced by outside elements. When my propane regulator went bad and was leaking the detector went off. Not a bad thing I suppose, but the leak was outside, not inside. Spraying sunscreen just outside the door set it off once.
Ours is also the combination floor level at the steps. I'm thinking y'all are right and it went off because of burning off something. I will probably turn off the heat pump and turn the furnace on today to see if it happens again. Thanks for everyone's help. It is still 31 degrees, but the wind is less, and the sun is expected to come out today. I'm hoping to thaw out a bit!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have a PDF of my propane detector.
Reading it might give you some clues.

Also, I am not 100% sure we are talking about the same thing.

I have a CO detector on the ceiling in the master bed room and a Smoke detector in the living room/kitchen area. The propane detector is under the fridge next to the power center in my rig.

My CO detector did go bad after 3 years and I replaced it with a Kiddie combo smoke/CO unit from Home Depot. A bit more expensive but it doubled the number of smoke detectors in the camper.
The CO part is your propane alarm and carbon monoxide, that should be at floor level being propane gas is heavier and will stay at floor level. They have a combo. smoke and CO but still should be mounted at floor level. Smoke detectors should be in ceilings and CO should be at floor level. But I also have a combo. installed at my home in the basement ceiling at the furnace next to my flue. The reason is that if the flue plugs up it will set it off from the CO by-product of an oil burner. It went off by a false reading once and and very loudly saying FIRE FIRE FIRE, scared the hell out of me. So I replaced the batteries and life is good again....

Old 12-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Low dc voltage------------------

Low DC voltage will cause the CO/Propane detector to trigger also.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
2012 Solera

Another thought; if you have a warm coach and run the engine while parked, you may suck in exhaust through any opening because of rising warm air pulling in the cold. doesn't take much CO, especially if you open the door. Happened to me and the only way I could clear the air was to vent it all out with open doors and fan. Seems like it settled right in the stair well.
For what it's worth......
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote