Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Coach door tough to open?

Before I post this in the Door/Awning tech forum I wanted to find out if anyone finds the coach door a bear to open from inside or outside. My friends with TTs are surprised how hard it is to open compared to theirs (I'm sure the DOT is to thank). This is my 1st RV so I don't know what to expect. I loaded it up with silicone, but no help. The handles operate easily enough, but it's just so hard to break it loose. Anyway this is the door handle I have. Are they tough or maybe i need an alignment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	68319  
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

mine seems harder to open when my 2014 24S is tilted slightly to the right than when level or tilted to left

I figure it's roof weight bearing down on the door frame
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

Had the same problem and yes - if the coach is on uneven ground it is harder to open. You can adjust the locking plate on the door frame, the door should open and close easily when on level ground.
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

Yep, hard to open sometimes. Cold weather harder than warm. Inspection of the latch mechanism, revealed locking plate is at full adjustment already, in the direction it needed to go to relieve the binding. Solution, none, in my case. Yours may differ.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

Thanks Loefflerh & Still, you nailed it. I inspected more closely and sure enough, my pins were heavily scuffed on the bottom (striker looked OK though). I loosened the 2 phillips, dropped the striker about 3/32s and now it opens and closes super easily. Should have been so obvious.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

piloto

YES have had my door worked on numerous times by dealer. It will work better, still hard for a few times then almost impossible. To shut or open the door, you have to slam it hard, or make sure you hold handle(lever) in open position shut door and then turn loose of handle- which is a pain if you have something else in your hands. No such thing as pushing door shut from out side with one hand. or pulling it shut with one hand from the inside. Vaseline helps, but not for long-after a few times screws start coming loose
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to PHILIPHD Send a message via Skype™ to PHILIPHD
I have this problem with my 2015 Georgetown 378 XLF. Took it to dealer they took it off and replaced it with a none Forest River lock assembly while they sent mine back to factory. No problems with temporary latch assembly but would need to paint area to match up. Anyway replacement lock from Forest River arrived and installed. Back to poor alignment and hard to open and close and door pops open when driving down the highway. Have to make another appointment with dealer to get fixed. This almost sounds like a General Motors key problem.
PHILIPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

Mine as always been tough to open always on my 2013 Georgetown XL. Its not so tough most of the time that I have done anything with it. I do notice it seems more difficult to open after it has rained.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

Smile

Re: Coach Door Handle - I have similar door handlers on my 29 Sunseeker
and at one point had the door where it was unable to open. The key was the two silver post screws from the lock that protrude from the edge of the door and engage in the bracket on the door frame. These screws had slowly backed out and were catching on the coach side of the door frame which made the door difficult to open. The simple fix was making sure these screw posts are screwed tightly in place. Hope that is you problem as it is easily fixed.
BillRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door