Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
You been looking for three years and still can't make your mind up??
no I had 24s solera 2011 just sold.. I was referring 3 years ago use to be few model now there is many
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We stopped using the diesel due to quality issues...which is why they relocated the plant from what I understand.

Roof is fiberglass. We're working on a U-shape model, but it will be a few months.
Bclemens
Do you know when the solera use u dinete ?
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #43
Commercial Member

3-4 months.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #44

B. Clemens, tell me about dual element heater...

Quote:

The Solera is DUAL gas element (EI) and an electric heating element. So that when you are at a camp site you use the sites electricity to heat the tank and not just propane. Or you use both gas and electric to increase the recovery rate.
Is this on my 2011 Solera? How is it controlled? I just turn on the water heater on the convenience panel switch, and I hear the propane burner kick in.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
Is this on my 2011 Solera? How is it controlled? I just turn on the water heater on the convenience panel switch, and I hear the propane burner kick in.
Tommy:
If you have the Suburban heater: on the outside of the water heater, remove the panel; look on the lower left and you'll see an on/off switch there that controls the electric heating element. It is obscured and hard to see, but it's there.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #46

We too are comparing the Solera vs. Prism (2014's)

The 2014 Prism 2150LE also comes with rear stabilizer jacks (standard) and the Solera does not. This is huge for us because when our kids are tossing and turning in the over-cab bunk, the coach sways and keeps us awake in the back bed. The one major thing that we would miss in the Prism vs. the Solera would be the oven. We use our oven a lot. Forest River also offers a quick connect exterior propane connection and grill (factory) for the Solera, but our Prism dealer said they'd do that after-market for us, so we just need to buy a grill and stand - which we will use even more without the oven.

Does anyone know what side the generator is on in the Solera and Prism? I've forgotten and remember seeing the generator on the curb side of some of these Sprinters (View/Navion?)- which I think it really dumb. Why do I want to be sitting under my patio awning with my generator running right there? Can someone explain that to me?
knutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #47

a few questions

Quote:
To each his own...but a few notes...

2. That's not wood flooring. That is vinyl flooring with a woodgrain print.
3. That is freshwater including water heater...so really 44 gallons of fresh. Which also happens to be 367 lbs. You'l find most people don't travel with full water due to weight.
4. What is an "upgrade AC fridge"? We all use LP/Electric fridge.
5. Not wider...just longer (but the coach is 25' compared to 24'6" as well)
6. that is nice

Another thing to remember if you're comparing apples to apples. most dealers quote the Solera with the SE package. The Prism LE is a stripped down version. The Solera SE is an upgraded version and will have...
-Glass LED lighting throughout (not plastic).
-Frameless windows
-Fiberglass Front cap
-Fiberglass roof
-Gas AND Electric water heater (Prism is gas only)
-Soft touch ceilings
-woodgrain dash
-hidden hinges
-raised panel cabinets in wall AND base cabinets
-GPS navigation
-drawers in the dinette. Prism you have to lift up the seat cushions.

There may be more...but that's what I can remember off the top of my head.
It's great to have you as such a great resource here. I have a few questions though - and I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm truly curious.

What is the benefit of frameless windows?

What is the benefit of the "soft touch" ceiling? What is the ceiling in the Prism? (my current older coach has an "upgraded" soft fabric-type ceiling which is hard to clean and bugs stick to it (don't even think about killing a bug on the ceiling!)

What is your opinion of the advantage of the fiberglass roof over the TPO? I've heard arguments both ways, but would appreciate your take on it. . .

Just my opinion for you to take back to the designers (and I'm an architect so I feel justified and qualified in my opinion here) - the cherry woodgrain-look dash is nice in the Soleras with the cherry cabinets, but looks absolutely hideous in the coaches with the maple cabinets. There should be another dash option for maple cabinet version, imo.

For some of us who appreciate a more modern aesthetic, the raised panel cabinet doors are definitely NOT an advantage. But alas, it's not worth the extra $20K+ to go with a View/Navion. Any word on a more modern interior option in the future?

Sorry for so many questions, but there's a lot to compare. . . thanks so much for your expertise!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutter View Post
Does anyone know what side the generator is on in the Solera and Prism? I've forgotten and remember seeing the generator on the curb side of some of these Sprinters (View/Navion?)- which I think it really dumb. Why do I want to be sitting under my patio awning with my generator running right there? Can someone explain that to me?
The Solera, as with virtually ALL RVs, has the dump valves etc. on the street side - along with slide room; so, the only place left to put the Gen in these short RVs is on the curb side. Granted, if you have to be running it while sitting outside, the noise will be closer to you, but the exhaust is in the rear of the vehicle so you won't be close to the fumes. Also, you can add an exhaust extension which will vent the exhaust above the roof line. You won't need to run the genny often, so it may not be an issue.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Quote:
We too are comparing the Solera vs. Prism (2014's)

The 2014 Prism 2150LE also comes with rear stabilizer jacks (standard) and the Solera does not. This is huge for us because when our kids are tossing and turning in the over-cab bunk, the coach sways and keeps us awake in the back bed. The one major thing that we would miss in the Prism vs. the Solera would be the oven. We use our oven a lot. Forest River also offers a quick connect exterior propane connection and grill (factory) for the Solera, but our Prism dealer said they'd do that after-market for us, so we just need to buy a grill and stand - which we will use even more without the oven.

Prism comes with BAL crank down stabilizers, not hydraulic. This can also be installed aftermarket.

Curb side on Gen. I think it has to do with weight balance. We do port the exhaust to the rear corner however.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #50

Thanks - that makes sense. Unfortunately, we do run the generator often - at my daughter's softball tourneys and we boondock a lot, but I guess we'll have to learn to run it while we're away at the games and turn it off when we're tailgating. Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
I
What is the benefit of frameless windows?

What is the benefit of the "soft touch" ceiling? What is the ceiling in the Prism? (my current older coach has an "upgraded" soft fabric-type ceiling which is hard to clean and bugs stick to it (don't even think about killing a bug on the ceiling!)

What is your opinion of the advantage of the fiberglass roof over the TPO? I've heard arguments both ways, but would appreciate your take on it. . .

Just my opinion for you to take back to the designers (and I'm an architect so I feel justified and qualified in my opinion here) - the cherry woodgrain-look dash is nice in the Soleras with the cherry cabinets, but looks absolutely hideous in the coaches with the maple cabinets. There should be another dash option for maple cabinet version, imo.

For some of us who appreciate a more modern aesthetic, the raised panel cabinet doors are definitely NOT an advantage. But alas, it's not worth the extra $20K+ to go with a View/Navion. Any word on a more modern interior option in the future?

Sorry for so many questions, but there's a lot to compare. . . thanks so much for your expertise!
Frameless Windows: its mainly about style. The frameless are a cleaner look. You talk about liking the more "modern" style, that's where the frameless windows come in. The other advantage is how the bottom cranks out. They can be open with no issues when raining.

Soft Touch Vinyl: again, more modern styling. Most high end A's have soft touch. Not carpet...but a vinyl ceiling with a padded backer. easy to clean, softens some road noise and echo.

Woodgrain Dash: Most cars dark woodgrain dash regardless of interior leather color. We used to do Maple as well, but they would never get the maple to match right. So we opted to go the route of automotive and offer just the cherry dash and treat the cab separate from the living area. Another thing to know about the Solera. Our dash is a hydrographic application with a clear coat. All other Sprinters use puffy stickers for their dash. Basically decals that I have seen peel back in the heat. I'll post the most recent comparison here shortly.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #52
Commercial Member

comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison Grid DS.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	41710  

Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #53

Different strokes for different folks

We just put 3000+ miles on our 2014 Prism 2150LE. We chose it over the Solera 24s because (1) we liked that boat style interior,(2) my wife really wanted the big optional couch (which the dealer had in stock),(3) I wanted the longer bed and (4) we saved way more than the $2k difference mentioned in a previous post. For me the bed length was crucial. We've had a 31' Bounder for 17 years with a bed that's the same length as the one in the 24s. My head touched the wall and my heels were at the opposite edge. I often woke up with backaches. That 6 inch length difference with the Prism's bed made all the difference. We also like to frequently dry camp . The Prism's 50 gal freshwater tank vs the Solera's 35 gal is a big difference. The only item I wish the Prism had that comes with the Solera is the dump station set up. Solera places that in an enclosed compartment, Prism's is outside, exposed to the elements and debris kicked up by the rear tires. In addition, the black water valve is impossible to reach and pull, without getting on your knees. Other than that, we're happy with our decision.
puluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #54

Glad you are enjoying your Prism. We are enjoying our Solera.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera, coachmen