Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #1

Cold weather camping

I am interested in finding out if a Solera could be used for a ski trip. It seems from what I have read that RV's are a three season vehicle that need to be carefully stored in cold weather climates like Ohio Any thoughts?
Connolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

We have driven during Feb with ours in Colorado. The cold weather pack on no freezing issues. About 30 F at night. No issues. If you have electric you could keep those on.
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolt View Post
I am interested in finding out if a Solera could be used for a ski trip. It seems from what I have read that RV's are a three season vehicle that need to be carefully stored in cold weather climates like Ohio Any thoughts?
Yes I think what you read is correct! Water freezes at 32F and you must have the furnace ON to protect the water system,just running (Elect. heaters) without the furnace fan running will NOT protect. Also your propane tank might Not last the whole trip? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

A group of us camped at a year round site up northern NH . temps in -20 sometimes.... To keep pipes from freezing we used heat tape wrapped around the outside water pipes..... Under the grey and black tank we built a wooden box/chimney and placed a 70watt bulb in it..( heat from the bulb kept everything in the tanks warm enough) if we had sewer we just left valves open..... And you just connect a small compressor to blow the waterlines out before locking up for next time....

All in all pretty easy and comfortable.. And we were in a 17yr old 33ft FR TT......
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjester View Post
A group of us camped at a year round site up northern NH . temps in -20 sometimes.... To keep pipes from freezing we used heat tape wrapped around the outside water pipes..... Under the grey and black tank we built a wooden box/chimney and placed a 70watt bulb in it..( heat from the bulb kept everything in the tanks warm enough) if we had sewer we just left valves open..... And you just connect a small compressor to blow the waterlines out before locking up for next time....

All in all pretty easy and comfortable.. And we were in a 17yr old 33ft FR TT......
Come on guy. The gentleman was inquiring about going on a ski trip. Please read what the original poster was asking, after all it seemed like a reasonable straight forward question .Do you really think he will remotely use that set up in a ski resorts parking lot!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Come on guy. The gentleman was inquiring about going on a ski trip. Please read what the original poster was asking, after all it seemed like a reasonable straight forward question .Do you really think he will remotely use that set up in a ski resorts parking lot!
So your the guy on this forum in charge of determining what is relevant and useful for the original poster....lol
Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
So your the guy on this forum in charge of determining what is relevant and useful for the original poster....lol
Nah, just someone who was reading responses to the OP's question. Just thought a cousin Eddy application response here, which i'm sure worked fine for you guys in your situation, wouldn't work in a ski resort parking lot. Thats all.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

I need to apologize.. I missed where the OP said that they would be actually staying at Ski resort... From the post I made the assumption they would be visiting a Ski resort....

In my defense .. me and cousin Eddy always camped at a winter camp ground in the area with the other skiers and there cousins.. Since overnight parking wasn't allowed in the ones we visited..

Off topic here.. Regardless hope the OP has a great time and stays warm ..
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #9

If staying at resort. Just drain all the tanks before parking.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
I need to apologize.. I missed where the OP said that they would be actually staying at Ski resort... From the post I made the assumption they would be visiting a Ski resort....

In my defense .. me and cousin Eddy always camped at a winter camp ground in the area with the other skiers and there cousins.. Since overnight parking wasn't allowed in the ones we visited..

Off topic here.. Regardless hope the OP has a great time and stays warm ..
I'd love to camp with cousin Eddy, I love that guy. Yeah, i'm guessing our ilk, arn't quite ready for on premise at aspen or vale. Have a good one Jester.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I'd love to camp with cousin Eddy, I love that guy. Yeah, i'm guessing our ilk, arn't quite ready for on premise at aspen or vale. Have a good one Jester.
I can't imagine driving that far that's like clear across the country..lol... I try to keep within a 7-8hr ride of home base but if you ever get out that way I'm usually up there between January and April.(I'm a wuss I fly).. I have a little place just minutes from Snowmass ...If your up there and ski or just need a place to boondock...Look me up..who needs a resort when you have a friend like me right down the street....mi casa tu casa.... Stay safe stay thirsty..
speedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #12

I considered taking the Solera skiing last year, but felt that with the propane generator (as compared to the diesel) that I would not have got through the weekend without running out of propane. I did a calculation based on the runtime of the furnace and the generator and came up short. I was not planning on using the water system. Also, due to the lack of an auxiliary start switch, had I run the batteries down, I would have had to boost the house batteries from the coach batteries. I found a hotel instead. Too bad, I was looking forward to a ski in ski out stay.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #13

Hunting

I am planning a hunting trip in November for opening day here in New York State. We will not be able to plug in. The only water syetem I want to use is the toilet. Can I half fill my holding tank and put antifreeze in it and run it throught he lines, then be able to use it for just the toilet? I will have the furnace going, running off of multiple batteries, and 2 30lb tanks of propane. Any other suggestions?
dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #14

We went elk hunting last week in the Colorado wilderness for 5 day and four nights. The temps got down to 26 the last night and I ran the propane furnace for heat. I left water in the system and had no problems. I used less than a half tank of propane and I used the oven and stove top for about an hour each day. The biggest problem was trying to keep the batteries charged. The first day I ran the radio all day and into the evening and tried to use the lights sparingly but by the next day, the batteries were depleted. I ended up starting up the engine to help recharge the batteries and I would let the engine idle for roughly an hour. That would usually get me through until the next day if I only used lights. I know I've added more that requested here buy I thought it might be useful to others. I'm currently looking for info on the forum about solar panels and I hope to get some soon. The other thing I'm looking at is the possibility of swapping to different batteries and I'm starting to look at what I believe may be call AGM batteries. Anyway, happy camping.
fortbud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping