Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Northern Most Member ?

Composting Toilet Use in Solera?

Anyone have experience using a composting in a Solera motorhome?

Seems there are lots of benifits to installing one including weight benifits, Elimination of sewage dumping and that unpleasant process, increased capacity for gray water storage, extended boondocking capabilities and you can use your fresh water for other things other then making liquid sewage.

They have been used onboard sail boats for years

Nature's Head: More Resources

Thoughts?
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Northern Most Member ?

Interesting...
Composting Toilet | Gone With The Wynns
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #3

Interesting question. We don't have one in our motorhome, but we do have one in our pool house and like it. I think the maintenance would be easier with a regular RV toilet though. On most composting toilet models, it takes some space to regularly clean the screen in the catch basin (we have a Sunmar Excel). And ours is quite big - it would never fit in our RV bathroom.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Northern Most Member ?

Knutter,
What got me thinking about it was the "Gone With the Wynns" blog.

Check out the links I attached. Size doesn't seem to be issue with the model they are using
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Denver, CO

Is this the best of what this forum has? Aren't there ANYONE testing this out? The concept of NO black tank ewww (could be used as a second gray tank) and less water consumption would REALLY extend the drycamping capacity. No more poop mountain in an inaccessible space, it would be right there in front of you.

Cmon, somebody must be thinking out of the box here. There is even a cheaper, yet still pretty cool option here.

C-Head portable composting toilets

or here.

Air Head Dry Toilet: Marine Composting Toilets - Environmentally Friendly Marine Composting Toilet System

or the one in the original post.

Nature's Head Composting Toilets: Saving Our Water for Tomorrow

As mentioned, they are getting pretty common in the marine world, and sure would be useful in boondocking and dry camping. Maybe nobody does that here, we just go from power pedestal to power pedestal and sewer dump..

Interesting tho.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Is this the best of what this forum has? Maybe nobody does that here, we just go from power pedestal to power pedestal and sewer dump..

Interesting tho.
HUH?

I didn't even SEE this thread until just now, and I read/post every day here.

I know NOTHING about a composting toilet so I won't post my initial thoughts, but the "go from power pedestal to power pedestal..." comment seems a tad harsh and condescending/insulting.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Plain Old Member

You can look at the Wynns website. They put one in their motorhome and liked it. Good write up and videos.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
NELA

(deep breath) now that I'm done watching a video SO disgusting...I won't even post the link here. It's called the "graphic version" of a composting toilet. It's a video that removes all the "feel good, save the planet" stuff and gets you right down to the nitty gritty realities of this ....thing.

Not NO, but HELL NO. WTH! She emptied the urine container into her FIRE PIT! And there's a disgusting feature that involves a paddle/stirrer for the "solid stuff".

I'm SO wishing now I had NOT seen this thread.

I'm out.....

Old 05-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
You can look at the Wynns website. They put one in their motorhome and liked it. Good write up and videos.

Yeah, that's the same model the lady was demonstrating in her "graphic" video.

Doesn't smell? BS! That jug of "number one" would gag a maggot when emptying it I'm thinkin'.

And in both videos they say you have to keep "number one" totally separate from "number two". I'm scratching my head on how that's possible, especially for females.

How the heck are you supposed to teach young kids how to manage this filthy monster.

Yeah, wish I'd kept my word...this time I really *am* OUT....

carry on...while I go puke.

I'd give up RVing before I'd resort to this!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Weezer and all - our composting toilet that I posted about above (in our pool house) does NOT smell (#1 or #2) and there is no stirring, paddle tools, or jugs to empty. I say hell no to all that too. I have the SunMar Excel and it has a tiny little fan in the exhaust vent - so yes it uses a little power, but that's a small price to pay for it to remain odor free imo. You put a few scoops of a sawdust and microbes material after #2 and every once in a while, you turn a crank to rotate the drum - easy peasy and no smell. Now of course, to cut down even on that much work, you can always try to do your #2 business elsewhere - such as in the public restrooms on the road or in state parks etc. But if you are boondocking it without a "power pedestal" for a long period of time, there would be no issue with using a composting toilet like ours in an RV. Once a season (or one a month maybe with continuous use) you would have to empty the tray - but by that time, everything is composted down and it mostly just looks like mulch and smells musty like mulch. I promise it's not as bad as you saw in whatever video you watched. Seriously, a jug of urine into a fire pit - that's disgusting and probably illegal in most places we camp!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Weezer,tell us how you Realy feal? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
HUH?

I didn't even SEE this thread until just now, and I read/post every day here.

I know NOTHING about a composting toilet so I won't post my initial thoughts, but the "go from power pedestal to power pedestal..." comment seems a tad harsh and condescending/insulting.
I apologize for the harshness and condesention, but it was tongue in cheek. I really want to evaluate this idea, and was hoping to find some input somewhere but havn't much yet, except in some of the sailing forums.

But just think of it...

NO black tank, no water usage, more grey capacity, no (or little) smell. I wonder if the hype on these links matches the experience, but I guess we will have to wait and keep trying to keep the dreaded poop mountain at bay.

Again, sorry if some got offended, it was not my intention. I am frequently among the plug er in as soon as possible sector of the RV club as I assume most of us are. I am taking steps to equip myself for more "off the grid" activities, but the full service campgrounds are hard to beat. I am at least set up to do the occasional National park site and Walmart overnight.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Yeah, that's the same model the lady was demonstrating in her "graphic" video.

Doesn't smell? BS! That jug of "number one" would gag a maggot when emptying it I'm thinkin'.

And in both videos they say you have to keep "number one" totally separate from "number two". I'm scratching my head on how that's possible, especially for females.

How the heck are you supposed to teach young kids how to manage this filthy monster.

Yeah, wish I'd kept my word...this time I really *am* OUT....

carry on...while I go puke.

I'd give up RVing before I'd resort to this!
In all fairness to the Nature's Head, the lady in that YOUTUBE didn't even know to hook up the fan to the unit, which is necessary for an aerobic system. I find the black water dance that we do equally disgusting, if more familiar. Rubber gloves, leaky cheap sewer hoses, all manner of chemical concoctions etc. What can be more disgusting than empting our black tanks. Really? Seriously...
Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Plain Old Member

I just couldn't help but be curious. I was reading up on them long ago, and came across lots of info. I don't think I'd put one in a motorhome, but then again we don't dry camp or boondock, ever. I'd probably consider one in a camp, a cargo trailer conversion or something like that.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Denver, CO

"And in both videos they say you have to keep "number one" totally separate from "number two". I'm scratching my head on how that's possible, especially for females."

Duh uhhhh the urine comes out the front of both anatomy's. You just have to sit down, something I recommend for everyone in my RV (and at home), especially if you have to clean the bathroom once in awhile.

This type of response is why progress is SO hard to make. LOL

Just Saying.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
I apologize for the harshness and condesention, but it was tongue in cheek. I really want to evaluate this idea, and was hoping to find some input somewhere but havn't much yet, except in some of the sailing forums.

But just think of it...

NO black tank, no water usage, more grey capacity, no (or little) smell. I wonder if the hype on these links matches the experience, but I guess we will have to wait and keep trying to keep the dreaded poop mountain at bay.

Again, sorry if some got offended, it was not my intention. I am frequently among the plug er in as soon as possible sector of the RV club as I assume most of us are. I am taking steps to equip myself for more "off the grid" activities, but the full service campgrounds are hard to beat. I am at least set up to do the occasional National park site and Walmart overnight.
When I read it, it came across to me just as you intended it. No problem. Beyond that, I like the idea of discussing new ideas on this forum, even if they are not for everyone.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
NELA

Quote:
"And in both videos they say you have to keep "number one" totally separate from "number two". I'm scratching my head on how that's possible, especially for females."

Duh uhhhh the urine comes out the front of both anatomy's. You just have to sit down, something I recommend for everyone in my RV (and at home), especially if you have to clean the bathroom once in awhile.

This type of response is why progress is SO hard to make. LOL

Just Saying.

I think it's obvious you're not female. #1 is not projected forward on females. (and I don't even like posting such information...evidently it's necessary on this thread)

The woman who dumped the urine jug did it at her own place.....a cabin somewhere very rural.

I prefer to think of myself as having progressed higher up the sanitary chain than this. NO one has covered how you empty that disgusting tank of poop and whatever it is you put in there with it. And just where the heck you dispose of the "poop stew".

Not once have we had to encounter anything unpleasant at the dump station. Gloves, good quality stinky slinky, alcohol gell and/or wipes are mandatory, and maintaining the tanks religiously is a MUST. Sure, I'm aware that it'll happen eventually, but that beats dealing with what is essentially an out-house bucket in my RV every stinkin' day.

For the third and last time....I'm OUT. This thread goes on my mental ignore list. (wish I could find my green faced puke smiley and wishing I'd not even responded to this thread)

Old 05-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Just for sake of completeness, I invite anyone interested to read up on composting human waste. One it is composted for awhile, it can be disposed of like any other garbage. The composting toilets have been in use for a very long time, and some of the more recent designs use the separation concept which minimizes the ickkyness of the product (which apparently comes from combining the poop with the urine).

Only recently has someone begun to design small enough units to work in boats and RV's

Interesting idea, both in the technology and in the reaction it elicits.

I might save up some pennies (lots of) and buy the C-Head unit which is the cheapest and uses 5 gallon containers and gallon milk jugs. Seems kinda elegant, in a way.

Ok, I think that's enough speculation, and it appears that other than Knutter nobody has tried one so it up for grabs, so to speak. Gone with the Wynns sure seem to be likeing it tho.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #19

Curious. The negative comments all seem to come from those with no personal experience. I've watched the Wynn's videos several times and I have no reason to think they are disgusting or misleading. I would love to try the composting toilet in both our RV and our boat. I hate dealing with the dump stations.

I wish the manufacturers would handle the installation on the front end. it shouldn't have to be a retrofit. That's not a job I have the skills to under take.

Don't poo-poo an idea if you don't have first hand knowledge. The Wynns do. They are on their second composting toilet.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #20

Wow, research much?

The comments on here really shock me. . . "poop stew" really? It's amazing to me that 1. people in this country know so little about composting toilets, and 2. so lazy that they can't even look up some pretty easy to find info. No, there is no "poop stew" that you have to worry about disposing of. Check out any number of composting toilet manufacturer's websites to find out how to use one. For God's sake Pete Nelson puts one in almost every tree house he builds on TreeHouse Masters on the Animal Planet network.

In a composting toilet, guess what? The waste is COMPOSTED - as in, it turns into compost - and no, you don't need to separate #1 and #2 - at least not in the brand that I own and have placed in my pool house. (Sun Mar - Composting Toilets By Sun-Mar - The Environmental Solution ) Let me tell you, if I could get one to fit in my teeny tiny RV bathroom, I'd have one, but they are quite large. Black Tanks and Dump stations are what's disgusting, not composting toilets. You put in saw dust and a microbe packet at the beginning of the season and take compost out at the end of the season - not that hard, really. It's no different than the bags of compost you buy at the home improvement store.

Tags
solera