Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

I'm going to say that compressed air alone will not completely clear the lines of water. I drain and then run copius amounts of antifreeze. I live in cold temps reaching -35C for days on end and have never had a problem.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #12

If you could see how the water lines are run in our units you would NOT trust air to blow them out for (Freeze Protection). Let water run back to a fitting(T-ell-ect) and freeze,bad deal. Just lay a garden hose down and blow air threw it,now roll it up,water runs out. Anti-Freeze! Youroo!!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you could see how the water lines are run in our units you would NOT trust air to blow them out for (Freeze Protection). Let water run back to a fitting(T-ell-ect) and freeze,bad deal. Just lay a garden hose down and blow air threw it,now roll it up,water runs out. Anti-Freeze! Youroo!!
I've used air on 3 RVs over the last 22 years, including a large DP and have had no problems. Only antifreeze I've used was with washing machine and in the traps. Lowest temps during that time as I recall was 14 degrees, with round-the-clock below freezing temps of maybe 3 days. Perhaps in colder areas it may be a problem, but not in NC (at least in coaches I've owned)!!

But don't you just envy the folks in Deep South that NEVER winterize?
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #14

Lets all report back in the spring. Just say if you expierenced a good hard freeze in your area. Since it has been a really cold winter in most of the upper 48, this might be a good year to report back on how your RV, TT did over winter. Sound like a good idea?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #15

Our brand new 2014 Solera 24R is our 4th RV in 12 years. Excepting the first time I have never used antifreeze to winterize (except for the traps). It is not the cost or the bother, it is the time that it takes to rinse it out of the system I don't like. I was just reminded of this when I recieved our new Solera three weeks ago(it had been winterized with antifreeze). I cannot stand the taste of the antifreeze, and it takes so long to rinse it out of the system. Today, the temperature at home this morning was about -22C or -8F which is normal in this part of Canada.

We just got back from a trip to the southern Atlantic states over Christmas. I carried 5 gallons of fresh water from home. After driving south far enough, all I had to do was dump the water into the fresh water tank and turn on the pump. This allowed us to enjoy the use of the water while driving (Instantly!!! with no rinsing). When we drove back I did the winterizing in the south end of NY state. We boondocked for the night. In the morning after breakfast I started. I had packed a small airless compressor for the task.

After draining the fresh and hot water tank and turning the valves for the hot water bypass I pressurized the system through the city water supply inlet. I then opened all the valves including the low water drains, toilet and outside shower one at a time starting with the ones closest to the pressure inlet. In each case I allow the pressure to build up before opening the valve which helps to clear the water out. I then repeat the process. I then disconnect the waterpump and screen and turn it on briefly to clear the pump of water. Takes all of twenty minutes. I do put a small amount of antifreeze in the traps. I leave the Arctic pack turned on until I dump the waste tanks, normally at my next fuel stop.

Normally you would also have to deal with the water filter, but I replaced mine with a 6 inch pipe nipple to avoid the task. If I do another trip before the winter is out, I fill up my 5 gallon water jug and repeat the process.

Mike

Tags
winter, winterize