Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Connecting the sewer hose

My new Solera will be de-winterized soon. I have tried practicing connecting the sewer hose. How much strength does it take to get it fully connected? I can't seem to twist it at all. I assume the hooks have to be securely hooked around the pegs. Is there a secret to getting it twisted on tightly? My hands may simply not be strong enough, and that's a worry. Ideas?
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
B47

First of all I suggest you make sure the that the sewer hose is aligned squarely with the rigid RV connection and that you should be wearing gloves as they help you get a better grip on the hose.

If the above conditions are met and there are no problems with either the male or female fittings, you should be able to make a secure connection.

It does require some "muscle" to make this connection, but probably no more than it takes to connect your water hose to the spigot.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

I concur with B47, using Latex or similar gloves will give you a better grip and allow you to concentrate your strength in your hand to properly secure the "hooks" onto the "pegs".
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #4

Just a thought, if you can pour some water on the hose and locking hooks it might work easier.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

One thing you might also want to consider is getting an extra fitting as I did break one of the tabs off of ours one time.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

I recall you just had a birthday (65) right. Happy B day. Yes it is quite a tuff thing to turn to the required stop position. And, it is in a location where you need to position yourself to get full force during the turning motion. Sometimes it is afunction of the outside temperature. May I suggest a "strap wrench" ,but just make sure you place the strap on the plastic end and not the flexible part. They come in small and large so figure you need the smaller , shorter handle one, to get into the tight location. Just my two cents.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
My new Solera will be de-winterized soon. I have tried practicing connecting the sewer hose. How much strength does it take to get it fully connected? I can't seem to twist it at all. I assume the hooks have to be securely hooked around the pegs. Is there a secret to getting it twisted on tightly? My hands may simply not be strong enough, and that's a worry. Ideas?
Try a "tad" of vasoline or other light lube just inside the "hooks", will make it a lot easier to twist and not compromise the gasket fit.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
Silicone lube like Danco from Lowes is the best for lubing "O" rings, etc. It is not a petroleum base and will not harm the gaskets like Vaseline.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

OK....so I just turned 64, but who's counting, still pretty hardy but hands that have weakened some...apparently. Off to Lowes to get the gloves, the Danco lube in case the water doesn't work, a small strap wrench. None of this would have occurred to me. As always, I am immensely grateful for your willingness to chime in.
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Silicone lube like Danco from Lowes is the best for lubing "O" rings, etc. It is not a petroleum base and will not harm the gaskets like Vaseline.
Better than 60% chance with Vasoline, very little petroleum in it. 1/10 the cost of silicon grease.
NeopreneCRChloropreneGood Weathering Resistance. Flame retarding. Moderate resistance to pertroleum-based fluids.Moderate chemicals and acids, ozone, oils, fats, greases, many oils, and solvents.Strong oxidizing acids, esters, ketones, chlorinated, aromatic and nitro hydrocarbons.EPDMEPDM, EPMEthylene-propylene- diene; Ethylene-propyleneExcellent ozone, chemical, and aging resistance. Poor resistance to pertoleum-based fluids.Animal and vegetable oils, ozone, strong and oxidizing chemicals.Mineral oils and solvents, aromatic hydrocarbons.Buna-NNBRNitrile-butadieneExcellent resistance to pertoleum-based fluids. Good physical properties.Many hydrocarbons, fats, oils, greases, hydraulic fluids, chemicals.Ozone (except PVC blends), ketones, esters, aldehydes, chlorinated and nitro hydrocarbons.SiliconeQ, SiPolysiloxaneExcellent high and low temperature properties. Fair physical properties.Moderate or oxidizing chemicals, ozone, concentrated sodium hydroxide.Many solvents, oils, concentrated acids, dilute sodium hydroxide.SBRSBRStyrene-butadieneGood physical properties and abrasion resistance. Poor resistance to petroleum-based fluids.
Most moderate chemicals, wet or dry, organic acids, alcohols, ketones, aldehydes.Ozone, strong acids, fats, oils, greases, most hydrocarbons.

Can't find what Camco uses for gaskets, probably Buna N which is ok.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
...very little petroleum in it...
Is that why they advertise 100% petroleum jelly? Don't know of a single "O" ring or rubber/synthetic gasket maker that does not caution about not using petroleum based lubricants on their products. But, to each his own. That's what makes this crazy world go around!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #12

Vince, you ever watch Big Bang Theory!
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote