Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

connection between breaker problem and refrigerator problem?

So over the past few weeks I have started two threads. My refrigerator was not cooling and my breaker was popping. The breaker turned out to be a bad converter. Now after a new one. the refrigerator is cooling correctly. I can't see how replacing the converter and enabling the 120v plug could fix the refrigerator. Anyone have a theory?

Or is this a coincidence?
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The fridge requires 12v to run the control board. If you're converter wasn't producing the right voltage, then the fridge's control board wasn't able to run, thereby stopping it from cooling.

Just a guess, as I haven't read your other posts yet.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #3

kadaak
it seems like that if i was not on shore power, the converter wouldn't run at all, and the 12v would come from the house batteries. refrigerator didn't work right on gas or 120vac. that's why I'm baffled...
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'll have to go review your other threads to get the history on this.

When you're not connected to shore power, the converter doesn't run. The converter "converts" the shore power to 12v. No shore power, no conversion.

The fridge, unless it's a residential, uses 12v to power the control board on either 120v or gas. That's the common denominator when both aren't working. Either that or the ammonia refrigerant itself.

If it was a residential fridge, then it doesn't run on gas, period. In that case it runs on either 120v from shore power, or on 120v from an inverter.

Like I said, I'll know more after I review the other threads you mentioned.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

Maybe if converter wasn't working right it wasn't getting correct voltage and amperage to run refrigerator electronics correctly. Now it's getting what it needs to turn it on and of correctly. Low power to electronics will cause problems and can damage them. Also if the converter wasn't working right your battery might not have been charging properly so again electronics were getting low voltage and that's why fridge wouldn't work properly on gas.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

There is more going on here than meets the eye.

As stated a charged (over 12 volts) battery and a gas source, should run the fridge and lights just fine. How long that will be depends on battery charge and health.

Yes, the converter charges the battery but so should the alternator when running the engine in a motor home.

So even if the converter is bad, the drive to the campground (unless it was a very short distance or the battery was bad/dead) should have given the battery sufficient charge to run the fridge's electronics while on gas at least for a while.

There may be additional issues in the battery control center that manages battery charging.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
There is more going on here than meets the eye.

As stated a charged (over 12 volts) battery and a gas source, should run the fridge and lights just fine. How long that will be depends on battery charge and health.

Yes, the converter charges the battery but so should the alternator when running the engine in a motor home.

So even if the converter is bad, the drive to the campground (unless it was a very short distance or the battery was bad/dead) should have given the battery sufficient charge to run the fridge's electronics while on gas at least for a while.

There may be additional issues in the battery control center that manages battery charging.
X2
Start with the simplest first. Check your batteries, to make sure they arn't shot. Then, it appears from what your saying, I agree with Herk, there maybe problems with the battery control center.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

But, if I understand it correctly, his problem is already fixed. He replaced a bad converter and then his fridge started working. What he wanted to know was "why".
Old 09-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
But, if I understand it correctly, his problem is already fixed. He replaced a bad converter and then his fridge started working. What he wanted to know was "why".
Guess thats up to him to make it clearer then. I agree, i'm not quite sure.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, I looked up the threads he referenced:

Fridge Problem:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-66594.html

Breaker Problem:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...a-s-68424.html

After reviewing both, it still sounds like the fridge wasn't getting the right voltage on the 12v leg. Probably low voltage from undercharged batteries, that got a proper charge when the converter got replaced. But that's just speculation.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Ok, I looked up the threads he referenced:

Fridge Problem:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-66594.html

Breaker Problem:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...a-s-68424.html

After reviewing both, it still sounds like the fridge wasn't getting the right voltage on the 12v leg. Probably low voltage from undercharged batteries, that got a proper charge when the converter got replaced. But that's just speculation.
x2

Tags
breaker, refrigerator