Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
2018 FR3 30DS

Count down?

My 2011 Solera. Haven't cranked it for a couple of months and when I did yesterday (Friday) on the display was 29d. Cranked it again this morning and saw 28d. Have gone through owners' manual and can't find anything related to this. So, it appears to be some kind of countdown but maybe not?????
The display stayed this way for a few seconds (while engine running) and then returned to the normal display.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was your analysis?
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #2

?????? If it was a Ford i could help you out as i have been with Ford since 1988 minus a couple years in between.
wrenchrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

I seen awhile back guys were talking about servicing their Diesel engines, I have a 2013 Solera on order and was wonding about how offen I need to have it serviced. I see in the Trailer life RV repair, Maintance manual it says any where between 3000 Miles up to 15000 miles depending on traval and driving conditions and engine type. Can anyone pin this down for me a little better.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

We have a 2012 Solera with the Mercedes diesel and are going to service it at 7,500 miles. At the sprinter store it's going to cost around $250 including the fuel filter. So I don't want to do it any sooner!!!!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

You are changing your fuel filter after just 7500 miles? I hear must guys on he sprinter website doing it after 20000 miles.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would change the fuel filter once a year regardless !
Piece of mind IMO !
And keep a spare on hand! U never known when your going to get bad fuel.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I would change the fuel filter once a year regardless !
Piece of mind IMO !
And keep a spare on hand! U never known when your going to get bad fuel.

Good advice for any diesel owner. And mandatory if you experiment with any alternate fuels for a diesel.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #8

oil change

Good points al the way around. we're planning a long trip to begin with over 5000 miles will probably look into having a full service done after returning home. Thanks for the input.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

Back to the original question. How many mile on your Solera? It looks like you are low on DEF. the countdown means how many starts remain till the engine is disabled. You should have a yellow light on if that is the case.

On ours it came on around 8k miles....

The spec says to change oil at 10k - no need to change the 12qts any earlier.

Reiner
Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #10

Where do you guy get your fuel filters? Are the ones sold at NAPA ok to use?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
2018 FR3 30DS

reinerka

2011 Solera

Thanks for your reply. No, it's not the DEF. There doesn't seem to be anything associated with this code...no warning lights, nothing. I checked the DEF tank and it's about half full. Mileage is about 7500 so it's not time for oil change. It sat uncranked for a couple of months during the winter and then when I turned the ignition on, this symbol code appears. Today it's 30d, yesterday it was 28d and one other time was 29d, so I am now satisfied it is not a countdown. Freightliner shop foreman said to bring it in and they would put it on a computer to see what's up. Maybe I need to drive it some and see if it goes away.....

2011 Solera
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Where do you guy get your fuel filters? Are the ones sold at NAPA ok to use?
Napa is made by wix. Yes they are fine to use. I do
Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
FRESNO FOREIGN

Hi, Iam a new Solera owner, but have been a Mercedes tech for 15 years. I think your display is showing the days passed the service needed. Even though you are not driving or starting your rig the engine computer still counts the number of days going by until Its next service. The mercedes passenger cars are the same way. I would be concerned about it as the rig is not used every day. The mercedes service system works that way. Hope this helps. Maybe the dealer can explain it better than me. Happy rving
FRESNO FOREIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
2018 FR3 30DS

Fresno Foreign...Thanks for you input. I called the national customer care center in NJ today and they advised me that they thought it was about some service requirement. Even though I have only some 7100 miles on it, it makes me think that the service requirements are due based on time lapsed rather than on mileage, etc. Is this true? Anyhow, I am taking it to a shop Wednesday where they will put it on a computer and see what the readings mean.

Hope you enjoy your Solera. Want to spend more time traveling this year than we've done in the past.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
2018 FR3 30DS

countdown

The saga ends. In very small characters was a minus (-) sign and a wrench symbol. The minus sign plus the numbers indicated that my A service was that many days past due. The wrench was the indicator that maintanance was due. No mystery So, in effect it is a countup instead of a countdown.

What bothers me though is that I only had 7100 miles on the original oil, so I had to get the oil changed and a new filter so they could delete the symbols...

Thanks for all that responded...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

So they wouldn't clear it unless they changed the oil?
I would assume for warranty reasons .
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
FRESNO FOREIGN

All these new auto dealers are the same. They need to perform the service to reset the service light on the dash. I think they have to do it for liability reasons. These manufactures design these autos so only the dealers can reset the service light on the clusters. They have us shadetree guys over a barrel. Even the small shops are screwed without info on these new cars.
Happy rving!
FRESNO FOREIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #18

Has anyone use the Scan Gauge 2?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
2018 FR3 30DS

Fresno Foreign...I have no regrets of changing the oil before 10k miles. I had planned on changing it sooner anyway. However, I was under the impression that it would be owner's responsibility to have it changed at 10k or whatever the owners' manual called for. I had the service done at a Freightliner location where they service Sprinters regularly. I had them replace the oil w/Mobile 1 ESP 5-40 synthetic which is recommended. The oil was less than 6 dollars per quart...surprised there.
What I wish the owners' manuals would do is to break down the happenings for each type of service..i. e., service A apparently is merely an oil and filter change plus they topped off or checked all liquids. I use DEF from Walmart cause it's the same 22241 as called for.
They will not tell you anything else...I asked and they said it was "restricted information"...(big deal).
I won't complain too much because I knew that the MB sticker would be different than the average bear.
Thanks again for your responses......