Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #1

Crying the blues over my one day old Solera

Soooooo, I took possession of my beautiful 2016 Solera and on her maiden voyage we had some bad luck. We were settling in for a lovely first night when a mighty gust of wind tore a canopy from its mooring and went hurtling into our motor home shattering the rear driver side
Rear window and causing major scratching damage. So when we sent pictures and described the damage our dealer asked us to measure the window opening? We did not want to do that and be held responsible if it was the wrong size. So finally the question does anyone know the size of the rear driver side slide-out window? I am currently 2000 miles from my dealer so going back is not an option. Thanks in advance, this forum is a big reason I chose a Solera!
Connolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Needs Help

I suggest you take a series of pictures of a tape measure in the window opening. They should be able to determine what size with a good pic.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Aren't all. Solaris the same? (assuming same body style) . The dealer should be able to figure it out for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Two options:
1. Based on your situation, I suggest taking the measurements, describing them in detail ( ie from frame to frame or glass from inside seal to inside seal) adding pictures of measurements for additional detail, and a statement that measurements taken to the best of your ability and you are not responsible for measuring errors.
2. Since this will most likely be an insurance repair and not a warranty repair, you should be able to take to a local dealer who should be OK with working on it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Many years ago, my dad forgot to latch the emergency egress window in his fifth wheel trailer, needless to say it blew away while he was a long way from home. His solution, stop at the local hardware store. get some heavy duty plastic sheeting, some 90 MPH tape and secure the opening so it is rain tight. He then continued on with his vacation and took care of the situation when he returned home.

If you can go by a Forest River dealership during your travels, stop in and have them measure it for you. Take that information and give it to your dealer. This kind of issue happens all the time while people are traveling so there shouldn't be a problem having them do the measurements, even if it costs you a few bucks, just save the receipt and turn it into your insurance company along with the rest of the paperwork when you make your claim.

Moral of the story, do not open canopy in high winds.

Hope this helps, Sherman
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #6

Call the local glass company. They will come out with possible replacement. If not they will measure and return with a new window.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

The dealer should be able to contact FR and they can send a replacement window as long as they get the right window reported as broken. Like said earlier all Solera's are alike depending on the model you have. Good Luck.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

The glass panels for the frameless widows are simple for your dealer to replace. I replaced one panel myself out of warranty. They are however made to order at hehr glass and may take 3 weeks to arrive. One glass panel costs about 250 to 275 if you have a large deductible. I can summarize removal and install on a string but you must feel confident handling glass and drilling and replacing aluminum rivets.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #9

Off topic curiosity question- I thought 2015 was the last year for Solera. Are they still sold in addition to the Sunseeker and Forester MBS ?
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolt View Post
Soooooo, I took possession of my beautiful 2016 Solera and on her maiden voyage we had some bad luck. We were settling in for a lovely first night when a mighty gust of wind tore a canopy from its mooring and went hurtling into our motor home shattering the rear driver side
Rear window and causing major scratching damage. So when we sent pictures and described the damage our dealer asked us to measure the window opening? We did not want to do that and be held responsible if it was the wrong size. So finally the question does anyone know the size of the rear driver side slide-out window? I am currently 2000 miles from my dealer so going back is not an option. Thanks in advance, this forum is a big reason I chose a Solera!
I just went through a broken window the dealer said I had to replace the whole window which had 3 panes. I called FR and gave them my vin # they know what window it is. They also said they couldn't replace just a pane but needed the whole window, went to a glass Company. They measured the opening cut the glass and put a tinted plastic over it to make it legal they have to be tempered glass by law. It takes about 2 weeks for them to send the glass out to get tempered, being they were lic. they were able to put the film over it which will pass for tempered glass. FR and the dealer wanted $560 to replace the whole window without labor. Installed it cost me 140.00. My windows are Kindro, they said both FR and the stealer, I mean dealer said that you can not just replace the pane. Took it in and 2 screws later it was out and being repaired. Also if you go to a glass company they will seal the missing window up with this special plastic to protect it from rain until they get your tempered glass back. being that would not be covered by your warranty I would go to a glass company. Also depending on your ins. You could claim it under comp. But that would depend on your deductible. My window was 32"x9" crank out type on the bottom of a big picture window. Hope that helps you out, still what a bummer...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

If you want to replace the glass alone, (assuming no frame damage ) with OEM Hehr window glass then confirm window model with serial number of coach with FR then call Parkin, they can order your exact glass panel and send it to you. Here is the link. RV Windshields, RV Windows, Shuttle Bus windows,.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

please sweetheart don't take my picture.
[/URL][/IMG]
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #13

Dear Solera Community,

Thanks for all the help,as I said, buying a Solera had sooooo much to do with this community. I have used so many of your brilliant modifications, work around's and helpful hints to really enhance the enjoyment of my Solera. This forum allows one to experience "virtual ownership" and I hope at some point I will be able to help others as I have been helped.
Connolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #14

Things to ponder:

What is the plural of Solera? When one sells their Forester, is it called a deforestation? 😊
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera