Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Curb side review mirror

The curb side review mirror on my Solera seems a bit less than useful. The mirror isn't really wide enough (or far enough out?) to see much past the awning arms.

Has anyone added a mirror extension or some such to provide a better view?

Thanks

Dave Jordan
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

I noticed that if the curbside mirror was longer, the bar that divides the fixed side window from the main side window would end up right in the middle of the mirror. I believe that is why the mirror arms on that side are approx 1 inch shorter than the driver side. Does not help what you are wanting to accomplish, but I think there is not much of a good solution. Maybe a side camera?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

I've seen this issue address on the forum before and I guess I don't understand the problem. I adjust my passenger side mirror so the inside edge of the mirror is looking down the side of the vehicle which allows me to see the lane to my right easily. With the help of the rear view camera I've let to have a problem seeing what's around me. But I also drive a school bus which has so many mirrors that I'm just use to using them all the time.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

hkreck, I agree with you. I use my mirrors and was pointing out the reason the right side mirror is diffent than the left. I learned at an early age to drive with mirrors only for side view.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

Re - mirror size / extension: On my unit, the street side and curb side mirrors both extend the same distance (about 18") from the side windows.

Re - what's the problem? I, too, have experience driving school buses and other large vehicles. My problem is that when the mirror is adjusted well for driving (ie, showing me what's next to me) it's not well adjusted for backing. And when adjusted for backing, it's poorly adjusted for driving. I'm actually more concerned about backing - when trying to back up with the mirror adjusted for driving, I've found myself fairly far off as far as whether I'm headed straight back or not. I'm used to seeing back along both sides of the vehicle to get a good feel of my direction, but that doesn't work well with the current setup. When I've got the mirror adjusted for driving, I only see the front awning arm. When I've got it adjusted (better) for backing, I can see the rear awning arm, but there's very little field of view away from the vehicle. Oh well.

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #6

And, as was pointed out in another thread, the newer Soleras are three inches wider - I can see where this might be a significant factor in my problem with the curb side mirror.

Dave
Old 10-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #7

I have also heard that the newer Solera's are wider and can see the problem with that. I also understand Dave's concerns with backing. The only accident I've had with my Solera was backing into a spot that was too small for my rig I hit a low tree branch with the ladder and tore it lose from the roof. Was able to fix it once I got home thou.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Well, let's remember that its only 1.5" wider really. 3" total, but 1.5" each side.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #9

Side Mirror input+ Satellite radio.

I too have had issues with the side mirror on my 2014 Solera 25R. After driving my wife's mew Honda I fell in love with her side mirror camera while turning. Well I contacted Magnadyne radio and bought all of the stuff I needed to add that system. I also added a Syrus module and antenna to my rig at the same time. The camera works just fine however due to the placement in the dash you get a wonderful reflection of your passenger's face instead of being able to see the image on the screen during day time hours. Put a non glare shield on the screen and it worked, however you couldn't use any of the on screen controls on the radio. The wife wouldn't wear the black bag over her head. In retrospect I wished I upgraded the back up camera system mounted above the windshield. No glare problems there.
P.S. the satellite radio works beautifully and I highly recommend that upgrade. Installed the antenna next to the TV cable penetration on the roof.
Olympia
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

With years of truck driving & bus driving I found that I need both a flat mirror and wide angle mirror to see the world around me. Is there a way to attach both mirrors your rig?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

The sprinter chassis includes both a flat and a convex mirror...the problem is that the angles subtended (remember geometry???) are pretty small once you factor in the motohome body and the awning arms, which are considerably wider than the chassis cab that the mirror is mounted on.

I've found that I can pretty much get by if I make use of the power mirror adjustment to run the mirror in and out, up and down, as needed.

Also, Camping World has a clip on mirror that might attach onto the existing Sprinter mirror:
XLR Ratchet Clip On Tow Mirror - Prime Products 30-0086 - Mirrors - Camping World
Dave
Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #12

Olympia, maybe your side view cameras are compatible with the rear camera system.. Have you tried plugging them to the control unit for that system (near steering column)?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #13

I asked this same question when purchasing my 2014 Solera from McGeorge RV in Richmond, VA. No response.....Deaf ears. Forest River installs the awning on the right side. Must not have thought to ask Mercedes for an extended right drivers mirror. It would be nice to have more than an inch or so to see on my right while driving.
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #14

Dave - did you install the XLR Ratchet Clip on your Solera? If yes, does it work for you? Mike
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpatnode View Post
Dave - did you install the XLR Ratchet Clip on your Solera? If yes, does it work for you? Mike
No, I haven't tried the mirror. As I said, I've been making do by adjusting the mirror - one position while driving, another position (or two) while backing up.

I've got a couple of concerns about the add-on mirror - like having it stick further out (which, of course, is what I want...but I can see where it might be a problem), and some worries about how secure the mount is.

Dave
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
No, I haven't tried the mirror. As I said, I've been making do by adjusting the mirror - one position while driving, another position (or two) while backing up.

I've got a couple of concerns about the add-on mirror - like having it stick further out (which, of course, is what I want...but I can see where it might be a problem), and some worries about how secure the mount is.

Dave

Dave, we share the same concerns that you express. However, we still thought it was worth a shot and did order one from Camping World.
Take care!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #17

I bought one of the clip on mirrors today:

XLR Ratchet Clip On Tow Mirror - Prime Products 30-0086 - Mirrors - Camping World

I had a lot of trouble getting it installed - it's just barely tall enough for the sprinter mirror...and I'm not convinced that it will stay in place.

For me, the extended mirror tends to fall in a bad spot - right around the vertical bar in the passenger side window. Also, it's a convex mirror (only) and didn't seem to help much when I was backing the Solera. But I've only done that once, so we'll see how it goes in the future.

CW has a 90 day return policy...

Dave
Old 12-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #18

Good to know. We got one, too, but haven't installed it yet. Maybe tomorrow before our drive home.
Thanks....

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #19

Thanks that is my next step to try. Thanks for your Navy service. I too USN ret.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote