Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
Mike's defective Solera

Thumbs down Dangerous quadleveler jacks on solera

I have just filed a complaint with NHTSA.gov. about the defective jacks on my Solera.
I have had several problems with the unit and it has been in the shop over 9 weeks since I purchased July 12, 2014.
I repeatedly reported that the jacks were dropping at all times of day and night when parked.
Then on March 24, 2015, the jacks completely extended while I was driving.
I was on the Mississippi/Arkansas bridge passing the truck scales.
This was terrifying and I had to slow to a crawl, backing up traffic, until I could get off of the bridge.
I have found out since that Bigfoot/Quadleveler and Forest River were aware of this problem but chose not to put out a service bulletin ar try to contact customers that might have had these defective levelers.
I have requested that my Solera be repurchased by Forest River due to the fact that I am terrified to drive it again.
I know of dealers other than mine who have been having problems with Bigfoot for over a year.
This has to be stopped and owners must be notified immediately.
If not then I feel that Forest River and Quadraleveler are covering up the problem with no sense of responsibility for the safety of their customers.
Mike Self
Mike Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

I had similar issue. The solution was rather simple ... it was to reprogram the control unit to use a different signal than the one it came with from the factory.

Apparently the original factory setting for the remote control that might be activated randomly by other signal sources. I have the documentation on how to reset the code using the Bigfoot's remote control.

You should be able to call the factory and a tech will explain the procedure. Or, if you wish, contact me via PM and I'll write it up for you. Its pretty easy.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

Very simple solution, MiataHoarder. In addition, an inline toggle switch on the red (or black) wire to the bigfoot control panel, can be used as a failsafe.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #4

Hmmm...passing the truck scales. The scales probably had the "pre-pass" units or whatever they call them up over the road that communicates with the big rigs' on board computer. I bet that's the issue. It's akin to when your radar detector goes off when passing a building that has automatic door openers on the entrances.
Reprogramming might appear to be the easy solution, but when using any device that is activated by a radio signal, it's probably best to have a circuit breaker installed, especially in the case of the rear levelers!!!
There's my next mod!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Mike's defective Solera

still a problem

I know that this may seem a simple fix, however I had 2 large service dealers working to find the problem with no luck.
I feel that Bigfoot and Forest River should have recalled the defective units that they knew about.
Roger Miller at Bigfoot/Quadraleveler said that they felt it wasn't a big enough problem to warrant a recall!
Mike Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #6

Mike,

This problem was previously addressed on this forum ... I found and typed out the pertinent information:

Service Announcement GS-HYD-xx American Technology Components.

We have received feedback … possibility exists … for system to activate … without customer depressing buttons on transmitter or receiver module. The cause is due to presence of one-time test code within the software. To eliminate this code completely the receiver module needs to be reset. To do this, please follow 5 steps:

• Depress and hold the on / off button on the receiver until yellow LED starts to flash fast.
  • Continue holding the on / off button until the LED stays on solid and then flashes quickly – At this point, the receiver is cleared of all transmitter codes.
  • Release the on / off button and the LED light will blink fast again which means it has entered the “learn” mode.
  • Push and hold the on / off button on the transmitter until the yellow LED on the receiver comes on constant. Release the on / off button. The transmitter has now learned a new code.
  • To Exit the learn mode, push and release the on / off button on the receiver.

You may call the technician directly at 574 322 6707. Turns out its not a Bigfoot issue, not a Forest River issue. It’s the Remote Controller for the system.

We had the identical problem. The hydraulics would momentarily actuate at odd moments. Very disturbing, especially when trying to sleep.

The problem went away after we followed the reprogramming procedure above. Hopefully, you will find this fix works for you as well.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Very simple solution
There may be a very simple solution, but that's not the point.

OP posted a concern about a potentially serious safety issue with the jacks on the Soleras. There has been informal discussion of possible solutions and workarounds, posted on this forum. But informal discussions don't work for those who are driving down the road, blissfully unaware of this forum.

So I see his point that some sort of service bulletin or safety recall is probably needed for a situation like this.
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #8

Mine evidently did not have the test code entered, as I had to follow the procedure you outlined in order to get the remote to even work. At first I thought the remote was broken because it did not work, then figured it out. I've never had any problems with the levelers.
I wonder whether or not all the transmitter units are tested, since mine had to be programmed before using.
Mike and MiataHoarder-- did your remotes work when you picked up your rigs?
If that test code is the problem, the transmitter needs to be reprogrammed before leaving the factory, especially if it has had the test code entered, since several people have had issues.
Brian should be able to get this issue addressed in the quality control area.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post

OP posted a concern about a potentially serious safety issue with the jacks on the Soleras. There has been informal discussion of possible solutions and workarounds, posted on this forum. But informal discussions don't work for those who are driving down the road, blissfully unaware of this forum.

So I see his point that some sort of service bulletin or safety recall is probably needed for a situation like this.
Totally agreed.
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post

You are correct but it seems they did that from reading post #6. Now the dealer should have included that in there packet when the unit was sold. I would take that to them and ask why the OP wasn't informed of this bulletin. Some one dropped the ball and it is spelled DEALER....I would make them repair any damage done by them for not including that in there PDI.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

It is NOT just a Solera issue, but an issue with ANY TYPE of rig equipped with the Bigfoot jacks and remote!
The end installer of the Bigfoot devices (in this case, Forest River) should make sure the "TEST" code is erased and the remote is reset before shipping the unit out for delivery. It's a quality control issue.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #12

Please see prior thread titled "Bigfoot Stabilizer Self Extended" published October 1, 2014. This is where I found my solution to the mystery of the self actuating Bigfoot system.

Disappointed, but not surprised by the customer "no service" delivered by the dealers. How is it that a first time motorhome buyer, me, can identify a problem and a solution while those in the business cannot?

Those who have not experienced the realities of our legal systems and federal consumer protection agencies might wish to adjust their expectations. All they really deliver is a possibility of a just remedy, and more likely than not at considerable expense to you.

This forum is great for finding a fix to what we all agree are serious quality control issues across the RV industry. Lets not make it a forum for inviting class action lawsuits. Thank you.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Moderator's Note

Members are encouraged to utilize our forum to seek assistance and technical knowledge and support. I see a number of useful and productive posts in this thread with significant detail to help the OP.

However, we also note some posts have veered into an area for which the forum is not intended - class-action talk. We have cleaned up the thread accordingly.

In summary, Forest River Forums is not a mechanism for people to conduct discussions about "class-action" suits or related legal recourse in settling their disputes.

Please settle your differences with sellers, manufacturers and dealers through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.

Please reference our Community Rules.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #14

Thank you, Scott
Old 04-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #15

Dealer service said there was no problem!

Those jacks have gone up and down on us at all times of the day and night and once did come down while we were travelling, just luckily not all the way. Took it to the dealer for service and they said there was no problem. Now, the control is stuck in the on position and the jacks won't go up or down. Thank heavens, they are in the up position. I am having to wait four weeks to get it in for service because they are "backed up" but, like you, we are afraid to go out with it like that. You can bet I am printing these posts and taking them to the dealer when it goes in on May 13.
mheintz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #16

Oh, and they laughed at me when I suggested that microwaves and TV remotes in the campground were triggering them!
mheintz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #17

Big Foot Remote

"Apparently the original factory setting for the remote control that might be activated randomly by other signal sources. "

Remote control? My Solera came with the Big Foot stabilizers but I don't have a remote. Was I supposed to have one (though my wife would say, "make me happy, one less remote")
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #18

I have the rear stabilizer jacks on my 24S, the remote never has worked. when used it only works for a short period at a time then you have to re-push the button over and over again. Found it's just easier to use the manual control.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
"Apparently the original factory setting for the remote control that might be activated randomly by other signal sources. "

Remote control? My Solera came with the Big Foot stabilizers but I don't have a remote. Was I supposed to have one (though my wife would say, "make me happy, one less remote")
No, we dropped that some time ago. We like the simplicity and reliability of the wall mounted control.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #20

I don't have those but if I did I'd get rid of the remote capability. Even if you reprogram, who's to say you won't stumble across another random signal. Is a remote really necessary?

Seems like something that should have been designed with an interlock to the vehicle preventing it from activating while in gear or moving or something along those lines. Hope the OP gets it resolved and can enjoy his coach soon.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, solera