Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

DEF problem

Started our long trip last Sat (9/14) and headed to PA for a wedding. After the wedding Sunday we stayed overnight in Walmart and started out for SD. Got a DEF fault light... DEF tank was full. we were only a mile from a MB dealer. Turned out there was a software fault. He updated the software and we were on our way in an hour! Ours is a 2013 Solera on 2012 MB chassis. If you have similar you may want to check and have your software updated.

No other problems - 15+ MPG until yesterday when we had to buck high head and cross winds, but with the Hellwig she held the road pretty well. Found out later we were in tornado warning storm front.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #2

Thank you for the heads up.

Luvnlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

I have a 2013 24R and just love it. Just got back from 3 weeks in South Dakota Dove hunting, and duck & goose hunting in Alberta. My DEF light came on west of Banff Friday night along with a 16 starts left notice. Filled up DEF Tank expecting to put close to 2 1/2 gallons in and spilled it all over at a dry camp in the Rocky's. Used the hose to clean the mess up. Then wasted 4 of the 16 starts trying to get the system to reset. Saturday got to cell service (.89 a minuet in Canada) after about $15.00 worth with coach net told them to find me a Freightliner dealer and call me back. Spent 3 hours Monday morning at the Freightliner dealer only to have them tell me when they finally looked at that they can not touch it, need to go to the Mercedes dealer. The Calgary Mercedes dealer is great, they needed to reprogram the system and put a new rear NOX sensor in, $800.00 plus $148.00 an hour if you have to buy one! If north of the border you will have to find the Mercedes dealer if you need help. I have the numbers of all of them in the motor home now.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

John, so that was covered under warranty, right!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

I think so, they took my credit card # because their was some concern about U.S. MB paying the Canadian MB. I did not sign a credit card slip, but I did sign a repair order. I will know for sure when my next statement shows up. F.Y.I. when they hook the computer up to the MH the computer is communicating with a computer in Germany! Anybody seen the new 24B yet?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

I'd grease the skids ahead of time with a call to MB, and ask if it's a North American warranty coverage. Just sayin'.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #7

Well I have there number now, and if a charge from the dealer shows up on the statement, it will be one quick call to the card company. I was down to 6 starts, and who was going to pay for it was not my main concern at the time. Come to think of it I purchased a neat MB thermometer for the MH and that charge was on the last statement so all is well except for the stabilizers and step. They upgraded the override control system so that it 1:works with the remote 2:you don't have to craw under the MH and push the button mounted on the frame between the axle and spare tire. Problem now is it goes off all by it's self, you don't have to touch anything!!! I'll bet that would look like a F-16 with the afterburners lit if they deployed at night doing 70 M.P.H on the interstate. Waiting for some step part to come in before I take it back, and I have from Rick at Big Foot the fix for the fix (reprograming, just like we have been doing for 6 weeks with the new computer system here at work). I trust nobody will think I don't trust Big Foot if I pull the fuse before I drive it home.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

What does the overide control system do?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

It is for the Big Foot rear stabilizer's. You have a remote to raise or lower them, if you lose it or the remotes battery's are dead it's how you deploy or retract the jacks. I was going to have them take the stabilizers off because I was worried about the clearance, (I tell every body the rig is hunting shack and it is) however having used it with them on they will stay on. 1st night in Saskatchewan I dry camped after dark and the mosquitos were as big as house sparrows so I did not go out and extend them. My dog weighs 65 lbs and she could wiggle the rig getting off the couch and woke me up.
The other must do is the Helwig sway bar, for all of you that have not you need to make that change. I consider it a safety issue. I have 4,000 miles on the rig with out it and 12,000 with it on. For the $150.00 they cost and 1/2 hour it takes to put it on Forest River should just do it whether MB likes it or not. The rig is close to gross before you start loading it and in a wind with big trucks going by or passing them it is a hand full even at 55 M.P.H. with the factor bar.
F.Y.I. Big Foot seems to have the fix's fix right, I reprogramed the box last night and it was still be havening this morning! Third time is the charm.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3886john View Post
I think so, they took my credit card # because their was some concern about U.S. MB paying the Canadian MB. I did not sign a credit card slip, but I did sign a repair order. I will know for sure when my next statement shows up. F.Y.I. when they hook the computer up to the MH the computer is communicating with a computer in Germany! Anybody seen the new 24B yet?
I unfortunately did not take any pictures of the 24B, but here is the floor plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24B Flyer.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	40341  

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote