Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Dometic Air Conditioner with Heat Pump

Does anyone have a link to an electronic version of the operating manual for the Dometic AC with heat pump? I have a 2014 Solera 24 S (and no operating manual). The Forest River link is to an 'installation' manual. Thank you!
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

I believe on pages 14 thru 27 it describes the operation of the unit in AC or Heatpump
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I believe on pages 14 thru 27 it describes the operation of the unit in AC or Heatpump
I don't think that's correct. The manual that came with my Brisk II ac/heat pump (Dometic model B59196-711C0) does not include operation instructions. The ac is controlled using a control board and thermostat, model 3313189.072, and one might have thought there would be operating instructions for that.

But a thorough search of the internet revealed no such operating manuals, for either the ac itself or the control.

The only suggestions I have are 1) ask a question here - maybe someone knows the answer or 2) look for operating instructions for other control / thermostat products from Dometic.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 10-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I don't think that's correct. The manual that came with my Brisk II ac/heat pump (Dometic model B59196-711C0) does not include operation instructions. The ac is controlled using a control board and thermostat, model 3313189.072, and one might have thought there would be operating instructions for that.

But a thorough search of the internet revealed no such operating manuals, for either the ac itself or the control.

The only suggestions I have are 1) ask a question here - maybe someone knows the answer or 2) look for operating instructions for other control / thermostat products from Dometic.

Good luck!

Dave
Thanks, here is a link to the manual that covers many of the dometic units like Brisk II check out pages 14 on for operation.
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

Dave and Seadog, thanks for trying to help. I contacted Dometic, and the manuals available are only for installation. The thermostat manual covers a.c. operation instructions.

I don't usually stay places where its hot enough to have to run the a.c., and since I have solar, I run the generator primarily to 'exercise' it. But yesterday was really hot. So, bright idea was to run the generator and use the a.c.

A.C. started, and then stopped. I thought, check the operating manual to see why it stopped.

I had the inverter on prior to starting the generator, so I didn't notice the generator wasn't supplying power. But the generator didn't seem to be supplying power to recharge the batteries either (although the generator was running fine). Turned off the generator, turned off the inverter. Started the generator and the inverter didn't start by itself. So, the problem was the generator, not the A.C.

Generator breaker had tripped. Simple to reset.

Dometic customer service is great (800-544-4881). The amount of power required by the A.C. exceeded the generator's capacity. When it is hot, the A.C. uses slightly more power to start. I've gotten by before using the generator to power the A.C., but it was cooler. So, several lessons learned today.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #6

Here is the thermostat manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3313327.045.pdf (1.04 MB, 285 views)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharSolera View Post
Here is the thermostat manual.
Good job finding that manual!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #8

Dometic sent it to me. They've got really great customer service!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
The amount of power required by the A.C. exceeded the generator's capacity. When it is hot, the A.C. uses slightly more power to start. I've gotten by before using the generator to power the A.C., but it was cooler. So, several lessons learned today.
This should not be the case, even with the diesel (QD3200) generator. A hard start capacitor might help with this issue. If you are running additional AC loads, then you can exceed the generator capacity. It should be able to start and run the A/C with some additional reserve capacity.

The Atwood A/C that we installed in place of the Dometic, draws even less current and has a higher output - but the real benefit is much less noise.

Sounds like you boondock a good bit, so this may be of little interest to you.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #10

Katana, it's a propane genny and there were additional loads (small, but they added up). A friend just installed the Atwood and a 'soft start.' They also frequently Boondock and I'm waiting to hear how they are doing with the new system. They say theirs is only marginally more quiet -- is your experience better? Which Atwood model did you purchase?

I like to be where the heat, a.c. and generator are not needed (but this southwest heat has me trapped!).
Old 10-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Katana, it's a propane genny and there were additional loads (small, but they added up). A friend just installed the Atwood and a 'soft start.' They also frequently Boondock and I'm waiting to hear how they are doing with the new system. They say theirs is only marginally more quiet -- is your experience better? Which Atwood model did you purchase?

I like to be where the heat, a.c. and generator are not needed (but this southwest heat has me trapped!).
We replaced the 13.5K cool only Dometic with this Atwood Air Command

It's a 15K heat pump. We used to have to turn off the Dometic to be able to eat at the dinette, even with the air dump closed. We can leave the Atwood running, even in high (air dump closed) or low (air dump open) and still have a conversation at the dinette. The Dometic drew a couple more amps than the Atwood, according to our on board EMS system. It's nice to have the higher output A/C and heat pump function, which FR could not install with the diesel genny and Dometic units.

It was a very noticeable noise difference for us and the best mod we have done to our Forester MBS. Sorry I didn't take before and after sound level measurements.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #12

Good to know, Katana. Thank you for the link!

Tags
air conditioner, dometic, pump