Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #11

I'm thinking about doing a repair. Thanks for the idea!!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #12

Found the eBay item. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

Well it happened again. I had the motor on my Dometic Awning replaced under warranty after last year's trip. This year it failed again but this time in the out position. It makes the clicking noise referred to when searching the forum to see if anyone else has the same problem. Seems there was a recall on the awnings installed on the 2013 Soleras but mine is a 2012. While I purchased the Solera locally its still a real pain to get it in for repairs. The repair shop is not open on weekends which means I have to take time from work to get it in. I emailed Dometic to see if there was someway to convert my power awning into a manual awing. Has anyone done that?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #14

You did not say if your fuse blew again. Typically the awning fuse is connected directly to the battery without any other connections. This allows the awning to be retracted if some electronic item fails. It's also why the steps are typically fused directly to the battery. Is there 12 volts at the fuse you replaced?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #15

Fuse didn't blow. I can hear the motor clicking. You have to press the button to get the motor to unlock while you are pushing it back in. But that's a two person operation. If I push too fast and slack develops then the motor operates and takes up the slack. So it's trying. One post suggested checking that the awning hadn't slid to the front or back but it is perfectly centered. Even if they suggest replacing he motor again, should still be under warranty, I think I will pursue trying to convert to manual operation somehow.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb73071 View Post
Fuse didn't blow. I can hear the motor clicking. You have to press the button to get the motor to unlock while you are pushing it back in. But that's a two person operation. If I push too fast and slack develops then the motor operates and takes up the slack. So it's trying. One post suggested checking that the awning hadn't slid to the front or back but it is perfectly centered. Even if they suggest replacing he motor again, should still be under warranty, I think I will pursue trying to convert to manual operation somehow.
Look at post #8 of this thread, it may just be in need of adding a keyway to the alum. gear. Not a difficult task with a small file.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
GM

Before the recall I know there was an issue with switches. Did they replace the switch when they did the motor? Switch would keep the motor engaged even when it was in or out.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #18

They did not replace the switch but I make sure the rocker is back to center each time I use it. I realized it sticks in the on or off position unless you manually force it back to center. But the fact that motor will take up the slack suggests to me it is not the switch but a problem with the motor binding on something. Thanks for the input but shouldn't you be enjoying the fourth instead of checking the forum? I don't expect Dometic will get back to me until after the holiday weekend. I certainly don't blame Forest River. Still love my Solera.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
GM

The rocker wasn't sticking...the internal components were just not turning the motor off...regardless of switch position so the motor stayed engaged which damaged the motor...at least that's what I recall. It may take up slack because it is still hanging by a thread. Who knows...just a thought, but I'd make sure they change the switch if this is the 2nd motor toasted.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #20

Dometic responded quickly and tells me they have an updated motor with a built in limiter. He checked my serial number and I have 1 month left on my warranty so he recommends taking it in for a replacement with their updated motor. I'll ask about the switch this time but I still don't feel that's it. The limiter is only needed if the switch sticks. But I will give it another shot as he also tells me there is no conversion kit to make mine manual.

Tags
awning