Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

The power failed on the dometic awning on my Solera. Just got back from a two week trip. The awning failed about a week into the trip. Luckily in the stored position. I found the 15 amp fuse in the panel near the entrance step was fried. I replaced it and it was still a no go. I am still in my first year of ownership so I assume I am covered under warranty. Plan on contacting Domestic and the dealer on Monday but was hoping there is a simple fix before spending time on hold. Anyone know if there is a reset anywhere?

Old 05-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No other reset or breaker that I know of but I have a suggestion that you could try.
unplug motor connection at the motor then replace fuse.
if it still blows then you can eliminate the motor and narrow down your search.
on my fifth wheel where the wires from the awning enter the basement there's a connection.
then the wires are solid all the way up to the switch.
Try that.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Hi, I have a Dometic Power Awning on my caravan in West Australia. The motor burnt out mid December 2011 and was replaced under warranty in February 2012. The replacement motor has now also burnt out! I spoke to the Dometic Warranty Agent today and he indicated that when replacing a Power Awning Motor, the operating switch should also be replaced (it wasn't with the first replacement). When the motor first failed, a check of circuit breakers & fuses didn't reveal any problems. I would be interested to learn if the operating switch is also replaced in the US when a motor fails.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
GM

I would make sure you replace the operating switch, in some cases I think that's what was causing the motor issues.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
'79 Bonneville

Our awning motor burned out on its first use with the awning in the open position. Good thing I carry a set of tools and had the proper allen driver to remove the set screws to roll it up again to get home. The motor would click when the switch was pressed to the up or down position but no rotation. The wires smelled like they had bee cooked at the motor.

A tip: record all the numbers on the sticker on the roller near the motor before your roll the awning up manually. You will need them to order a replacement motor - otherwise your Solera may have to stay in the shop waiting for the motor to arrive.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

Recommend taking a photo with phone or camera. Can be printed out and shown to folks at parts store.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #7

Thanks, I checked on the cost of the control switch and it alone is $45 so I will wait until I can get it in for warranty repair.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

Electric Awning Will Not Retract

Just took my awning motor out. Found the aluminum gear (that fits over a steel shaft) stripped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0439.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	13666

Hoping that I can find, and buy, just the gear.

Has anyone else noticed that its impossible to find the replacement motor? Searched the awning manufacturers website with negative results. RV parts superstores with the same results.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpusBragg View Post
Just took my awning motor out. Found the aluminum gear (that fits over a steel shaft) stripped.

Attachment 13666

Hoping that I can find, and buy, just the gear.

Has anyone else noticed that its impossible to find the replacement motor? Searched the awning manufacturers website with negative results. RV parts superstores with the same results.
Did you see the link I posted in the other awning thread to the used motor on eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-A-E-...item1c26e0eaf6

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Being the cheapskate that I am, I would get a square file and file a flat groove in the alum. wheel and fit a pc of steel stock in the groove and on the flat of the shaft. In other words make yourself a keyway. It will last a LONG time.

p.s. If the shaft has 2 flats, I would make 2 keyways.

Tags
awning