View Poll Results: When boon docking how often do you need to refill propane?
Weekly 1 11.11%
Every other week 3 33.33%
Depends on whether heat is needed 4 44.44%
Lasts all summer - no winter camping 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Fan on the fridge could be a little 12v computer type fan for drawing air over the fridge coils, or as Herk said the convertor.

Make sure ALL the lights are OFF in the compartments. If you have a 2013 Solera remember that the TV's are 12V as well as the dash radio.

Last but not least...do you have (2) batteries?
He indicated 2 batteries in a previous post. There must be a pretty significant draw to drain two deep cycle batteries overnight with not much on.....wonder if he has an inverter?

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brania View Post
I have noticed intermittent humming when fridge is running on propane (boon docking). It sounds like a fan of some sort . I would guess this is powered by electricity. I have noticed the need to use generator to charge batteries even though we use lights very sparingly. Could the fridge fan be the cause of the battery drain?
It isnt the converter fan if he is running on battery power (Boon docking)! Youroo!!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We have needed to run generator every morning for 90 minutes to recharge batteries ( 2 -12 volt). We are careful with lights and pump but still drain batteries overnight . Fridge is only other thought.
How old are your batteries ??

My single battery has gradually lost it's effectiveness over the last 2 years. I bought a desulfator, and that has made a world of difference. Last year, I was having to recharge the battery every day. On a 3 nite stay a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even have to fire up the generator......it was still at 11.2 volts when we broke camp.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
He indicated 2 batteries in a previous post. There must be a pretty significant draw to drain two deep cycle batteries overnight with not much on.....wonder if he has an inverter?
Whoops, missed that one. Doesn't help that the person in front of me has their seat reclined into my lap and the passenger next o me is taking 2 seats...reading at an awkward angle. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
How old are your batteries ??

My single battery has gradually lost it's effectiveness over the last 2 years. I bought a desulfator, and that has made a world of difference. Last year, I was having to recharge the battery every day. On a 3 nite stay a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even have to fire up the generator......it was still at 11.2 volts when we broke camp.
11.2 is a low% for 12v. Youroo!!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
11.2 is a low% for 12v. Youroo!!
You are correct, that is considered a 10% charge, and batteries should not get below about 11.9 volts (40% charge)

Before I started using a desulfator, the voltage would get down to the mid to upper 10s within 24 hours, and the battery would not charge above 12.7 volts, even after days of having it plugged into the house current. Now the battery will pump back up to 13.2 or 13.3 volts.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
brania

I have 2 batteries in a 2011 Solera . Inverter is switched off . I am at a loss as to why my batteries need charging every morning. Does any other Solera owner notice a slight regular but intermittent hum when Dometic fridge is running on propane? What is a desulphanator ? Should I purchase one ?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What is a desulphanator ? Should I purchase one ?
Read "Sulfation and Desulfation" about 1/2 way down here: Lead

If your batteries are old, a desulfator may not work. In my case, they really perked up my 2 year old battery. I spent about $60 on a desulfator, and hopefully will extend my battery life significantly. If I hadn't tried 1, I would have had to replace my battery this year already.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
brania

Update on Dometic fridge issue. I have added no extra fans. I just went out and plugged in to shore power. The hum occurs on both propane and shore power. Interestingly the hum continued even after I shut the fridge off ( for at least 5 minutes). In any event it sounds like the fridge fan does not draw enough power to drain 2 batteries overnight. I must have another issue.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Update on Dometic fridge issue. I have added no extra fans. I just went out and plugged in to shore power. The hum occurs on both propane and shore power. Interestingly the hum continued even after I shut the fridge off ( for at least 5 minutes). In any event it sounds like the fridge fan does not draw enough power to drain 2 batteries overnight. I must have another issue.
There are 4 HUGE battery draws.

1) The furnace -> I am pretty sure it is not this as you would notice.

2) Most likely -> Belly tank heaters are on. Look for a switch with a light in it called "tanks" or "tank heat"

3) The Climate Control has not been disabled in your fridge. See the attached manual for how to switch it off.

4) Inverter (if equipped) is powering something 120 VAC (fan, computer, or TV).

there are also 2 "You Did It" possibilities:

1) Your batteries are bad. Have they ever (and I mean EVER) been discharged flat? (zero volts) If so they may need replacing because the plates are most likely very heavily sulphated. It "may" be possible to save them with a 4 stage charger that includes a "De-Sulphation" stage.

2) Your batteries were not fully charged to start with. (my guess)

It takes about 4 days for the on board converter to charge 2 batteries to 100% capacity due to amperage step down as the voltage increases.

It will take about 8 hours with a dedicated 20 amp battery charger running off the generator and will just about never charge when trying to charge off the tow vehicle's alternator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0727.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	17469   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery Life as a function of charge discharge cycles.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	17474   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	17475   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	17476  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Refridgerators new Manual.pdf (2.90 MB, 59 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote