View Poll Results: When boon docking how often do you need to refill propane?
Weekly 1 11.11%
Every other week 3 33.33%
Depends on whether heat is needed 4 44.44%
Lasts all summer - no winter camping 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
brania

Smile Dometic fridge question

I have noticed intermittent humming when fridge is running on propane (boon docking). It sounds like a fan of some sort . I would guess this is powered by electricity. I have noticed the need to use generator to charge batteries even though we use lights very sparingly. Could the fridge fan be the cause of the battery drain?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

im lost here....are you saying you have a domestic (ie residential ) fridge in your camper?? are you asking about propane usage in summer or winter?? what fan does your fridge have?? do you mean the little 12volt fans we all add as a mod to the cooling fins...those things will run forever on a single deep cycle battery...

either way the fridge uses little propane...i go all summer on one tank of propane if even that....tahts about 20 days of camping worth.

now in the winter, if we are up in the mts, running the heater will use up some propane quick.....

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brania View Post
I have noticed intermittent humming when fridge is running on propane (boon docking). It sounds like a fan of some sort . I would guess this is powered by electricity. I have noticed the need to use generator to charge batteries even though we use lights very sparingly. Could the fridge fan be the cause of the battery drain?
Yes it could.Our fridge has a fan that helps cool the compartment behind the fridge.It is powered direct with no switch except a thermal switch and will come on even with the fridge turned off if the compartment temp reaches close to 100 degrees,such as on a summer day.It will kill our battery in a few days if we are not using the trailer.I take the fuse out when we aren't using the trailer and the battery stays charged.Meaning to put a battery disconnect in but haven't found the right one yet.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
im lost here....are you saying you have a domestic (ie residential ) fridge in your camper?? are you asking about propane usage in summer or winter?? what fan does your fridge have?? do you mean the little 12volt fans we all add as a mod to the cooling fins...those things will run forever on a single deep cycle battery...

either way the fridge uses little propane...i go all summer on one tank of propane if even that....tahts about 20 days of camping worth.

now in the winter, if we are up in the mts, running the heater will use up some propane quick.....
he wrote domestic. I think he meant DOMETIC
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by brania View Post
I would check your climate control switch in the fridge. This dehumidifier is a 12 volt DC heater and will kill your battery quickly.

I did not answer your poll because "It depends." Camping in cold/cool weather can use a 30 pound bottle a week. Camping during summer and I have not used a bottle yet all season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1361.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	17444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1362.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	17445  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
brania

We have needed to run generator every morning for 90 minutes to recharge batteries ( 2 -12 volt). We are careful with lights and pump but still drain batteries overnight . Fridge is only other thought.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

If that switch is off, the DC draw is very low. About 1 amp on average.
WITH that switch on it is closer to 5 amps.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #8

I don't have that switch, but I occasionally have that loud hum when 30amp plugged in. Whassup?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wills View Post
I don't have that switch, but I occasionally have that loud hum when 30amp plugged in. Whassup?
If your power center is located below your fridge, it is the fan from the power center.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
GM

Fan on the fridge could be a little 12v computer type fan for drawing air over the fridge coils, or as Herk said the convertor.

Make sure ALL the lights are OFF in the compartments. If you have a 2013 Solera remember that the TV's are 12V as well as the dash radio.

Last but not least...do you have (2) batteries?

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote