Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Door Step

I have a 2016 Solera RSLED and was wondering if anyone knows how to disable to door step when parked so it does not go in and out every time the door opens. There is also a switch located on panel above sink by fantastic fan control that I can't figure out. You would have thought the walk through would have covered it..
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
2012 Solera

On our 2012 Solera "S", there are three unlabeled switches just above the entry stairs, left side when entering the coach. One of those switches effects the step operation when the coach power disconnect switch is "on" (power connected to the coach). When the step switch is "on" (the switch in ours illuminates red when "on"), the step retracts when the screen door is closed and extends when the screen door is opened. When the step switch is "off" ( not illuminated), the step stays out unless the vehicle engine is started - the step retracts when the engine is started independent of the position of the step switch and independent of the setting of the coach power switch. The step also extends when the screen door is opened "no matter what" (engine running or not, step switch on or off, coach power switch on or off). (I added a switch in series with the screen door magnetic switch so I can keep the step retracted when I open the screen door should I be parked close to a curb or in some other situation where I don't want the step to extend).
Not sure if your newer coach is the same...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
I have a 2016 Solera RSLED and was wondering if anyone knows how to disable to door step when parked so it does not go in and out every time the door opens. There is also a switch located on panel above sink by fantastic fan control that I can't figure out. You would have thought the walk through would have covered it..
I have a 2015 solera 24R. With the STEP switch(located on the left side wall of entrance) off, the step will not go in unless the engine turns on. Once the STEP switch is on, the step will move in and out every time you open and close the door.
rvcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

Door Step

Wow found it thanks to all. Was really nice to read all of the "experience" buys from all. Made it a lot nicer sleeping on memory pad and caulking the shower wall..Thanks to all.
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #5

If it is the switch above the sink by the entrance it is the outside speaker switch.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

That switch will keep the step from going in and out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I added a switch in series with the screen door magnetic switch so I can keep the step retracted when I open the screen door should I be parked close to a curb or in some other situation where I don't want the step to extend.
JLeising, I have searched the forums for every mention you've made with regard to this switch and additional detail on the install. Doesn't appear that you've provided much more detail than the description written here in the mod thread however I'd love to see some photos of your switch sometime if you care to post them. This is certainly one thing that bugs me as I'd like to completely disengage the steps so I can first verify clearance when parallel parked. Even on the normal height curb in front of my home, if I park too close the steps will hit. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #8

The steps stop when they sense excess current draw. That is what stops them at there fully extended or fully retracted position. If the step contacts the curb the step stalls and else's dive current cuts off the power. So nothing to worry about. Let the circuitry do its job.

Only time I have found a need to prevent extension is if the bottom of the step could drag across the TOP of the curb and possibly jab. in that case I would be tempted to put piece of two by four between the step and the curb.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
2012 Solera

Step extension prevent switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
JLeising, I have searched the forums for every mention you've made with regard to this switch and additional detail on the install. Doesn't appear that you've provided much more detail than the description written here in the mod thread however I'd love to see some photos of your switch sometime if you care to post them. This is certainly one thing that bugs me as I'd like to completely disengage the steps so I can first verify clearance when parallel parked. Even on the normal height curb in front of my home, if I park too close the steps will hit. Thanks!
Don't have any pictures and the Motorhome is in the storage yard. Will try to remember to take some next time I'm over there. The description you found is quite accurate. I would add that I ran the two wires from one side of the magnetic switch up under the plastic trim on the edge of the door. I mounted the switch at a comfortable height in the same trim piece (cut a rectangular hole in the trim piece and both snapped and glued the switch in - used a switch like the light switches in the coach). Works great. As noted above, the step sliding on top of a curb is the worst issue. I also don't like the motor stalling against curbs. I look out the door window and decide whether to deploy the step if any doubt.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:06 AM   #10

Thank for your input, I appreciate the insight. While I'm tempted to let the system work, I'm also tempted to install a switch. At least at my home the step clears the curb only when I'm parked far enough away, otherwise the bottom hits the top of the curb and looks like it will get caught up in the turf. Never actually allowed it to proceed further than just barely touching the top of the curb before promptly shutting the door. I suppose it may automatically retract if I let it go, but instinctively I just shut the door.

2016 Forester MBS 2401S
Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
2012 Solera

Step Switch Mod Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
I'd love to see some photos of your switch sometime if you care to post them. Thanks!
Took some pictures. The switch, the magnetic switch where I tapped into its wires, and one of the screws that hold the trim strip on (with its cap removed). Believe I was able to stuff the wire I added under the black foam piece that is below the trim strip coming off the magnetic switch.

FYI, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	92898   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0006.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	92899   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0007.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	92900  
Old 10-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #12

Super, thanks for sharing the photos! Cheers!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #13

Just use a magnet positioned close to the switch that is mounted on the door jamb.

Store it nearby when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magent position to prevnet step operation.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	93462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magent not in use.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	93463  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #14