Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Door Step - Need Help

Our door step decided to stop working and I need help locating the fuse or breakers to start diagnosing the problem. There is power to the little red switch on the wall above the foot well (switch lights up when turned on). With the switch on or off the steps do not work or the orange light under the steps.

According to the manual there should be three fuse's but I can not locate them??? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

Will the step retract when you turn the ignition on? I guess I should have asked if the step is extended or retracted.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILL View Post
Our door step decided to stop working and I need help locating the fuse or breakers to start diagnosing the problem. There is power to the little red switch on the wall above the foot well (switch lights up when turned on). With the switch on or off the steps do not work or the orange light under the steps.

According to the manual there should be three fuse's but I can not locate them??? Any help is appreciated.
For starters, is the step stuck in or out. Get underneath it and see if the toothed gear is jammed. MAKE SURE power is OFF. IMPORTANT, it is powered independant of the coach shut off. Also inspect the shaft connected to the ball fitting for corrosion. Lubricate as necessary.

If its retracted, check the screen door switch for funtionality. Might be a malfunction there. Can't help you on the wiring schematic, or the fuse locations. Keep us in the loop.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

My step main power is fused directly off the battery (connected to positive terminal) via in line 25 amp fuse.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
My step main power is fused directly off the battery (connected to positive terminal) via in line 25 amp fuse.
What year Solera is yours?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
What year Solera is yours?
Our Solera is a 2013.

The step is in the retracted position. The door sensors are in place and appear to be undisturbed. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt in tracing out the main power line through the globs of insulation. Somewhere there should be a fuse in all that mess??
Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILL View Post
Our Solera is a 2013.

The step is in the retracted position. The door sensors are in place and appear to be undisturbed. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt in tracing out the main power line through the globs of insulation. Somewhere there should be a fuse in all that mess??
Check for continuty at the motor, when the power is switched on. Also, try this. Move the switch back and forth a few times, you might have a bad contact in the switch. Check to see if you have power coming out of the switch going to the motor.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #8

mine stopped working too. was in the extended position. dealer told me that these were bad steps and they replaced it with a 'quicky' step which has been working fine ever since. if yours is in the extended position, you can disconnect the lingkage under the step and just manually push it in. secure it with a cable tie for driving around.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #9

The switchlight is only used to retract the steps. The orange step light (round under steps) only illuminates when the steps are out. The ignition interlock is for retracting the steps no matter what position the step switchlight is in. The door magnetic switch is in series or parallel (can't remember which) with the main power feed. The switchlight is in parallel with the main power feed. Suspect magnetic switch or main power feed. I think the 3 fuses are: power feed/ignition interlock/switchlight power from control center for switch bulb. Could be wrong.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

If you are underneath and the light comes on for a few seconds then goes off, its not a fuse. It is getting power...on my coach the exact thing happened. I had to remove the 5/16 screws that help the motor on and once i took that off the bind released and all was good. Re-assembled it and its been fine since. I think it sometimes goes too far and gets in a bind....at least that's what was wrong with mine.
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswiss View Post
mine stopped working too. was in the extended position. dealer told me that these were bad steps and they replaced it with a 'quicky' step which has been working fine ever since. if yours is in the extended position, you can disconnect the lingkage under the step and just manually push it in. secure it with a cable tie for driving around.
What year is your Solera? Havn't heard of bad steps.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
What year is your Solera? Havn't heard of bad steps.
I have a 2011 Solera and just had to rebuild my steps. The shoulder bolt for the main gear assembly sheared off, backed out and jammed the step. I went to lippert for a replacement shoulder bolt but it did not match the one I had and I could not find an exact replacement anywhere (Mine was approx 7/16 with an odd metric thread, the replacement and all 5/8" shoulder bolts came with 1/2-30)

I took the 1/2 30 to a machine shop and had it turned and threaded to match mine. $45 for a part that should be available for $5, but I put it all back together and it is working fine.
still better than $400 for new steps.

Word to the wise, check that pivot bolt and lubricate if necessary.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin01 View Post
I have a 2011 Solera and just had to rebuild my steps. The shoulder bolt for the main gear assembly sheared off, backed out and jammed the step. I went to lippert for a replacement shoulder bolt but it did not match the one I had and I could not find an exact replacement anywhere (Mine was approx 7/16 with an odd metric thread, the replacement and all 5/8" shoulder bolts came with 1/2-30)

I took the 1/2 30 to a machine shop and had it turned and threaded to match mine. $45 for a part that should be available for $5, but I put it all back together and it is working fine.
still better than $400 for new steps.

Word to the wise, check that pivot bolt and lubricate if necessary.
I've been under there doing maint. and repainting where needed. What is a "shoulder bolt"? Do we know the mfg. For possible parts. Bclemens any help on who the step maker is for future part needs.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #14

My steps are from Lippert Components.

Replacement parts:

Lippert Components RV Parts and Accessories|Steps|Parts

Shoulder bolt is the pivot point for the big gear that drives the steps in and out.

I believe that there is an overall diagram somewhere on the lippert web site.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #15

So, you couldn't buy that particular part and needed it machined your saying Cousin.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #16

Yes. Lippert didn't have a bolt that matched mine. It's a mystery how mine was built.

Tags
door