Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

Door stop adjustment

The coach door pressure/hydraulic stop allows the door to swing open too far on our 2014 Solera. This is not a big problem unless the awning is down/extended......then door door slams into the awning arm which has chipped the paint on the door. I cannot see any way to adjust the door stop (such as the ones we have on our screen doors at home) . The stop is cylinder in shape and mounted at bottom of door. Suggestion?
Thank you
Dale
rdjjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjjef View Post
The coach door pressure/hydraulic stop allows the door to swing open too far on our 2014 Solera. This is not a big problem unless the awning is down/extended......then door door slams into the awning arm which has chipped the paint on the door. I cannot see any way to adjust the door stop (such as the ones we have on our screen doors at home) . The stop is cylinder in shape and mounted at bottom of door. Suggestion?
Thank you
Dale

You just may have to get FR to replace with a shorter throw.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

If you change the mounting point of the strut on the door itself , you should achieve your goal. Moving the point of attachment to the door farther out should reduce the swing of the door. I looked at ours, and it looks pretty straight forward.

MIke
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you
Dale
I just looked at my 2012, the swing of the door is about 90 degrees from closed. The cylinder is mounted at the top on the '12. The door, being 90 degrees, can't hit the awning support arm, in any extended position on my unit. Does yours swing greater than ninety?
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

I think it is slightly more than 90 degrees.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I think it is slightly more than 90 degrees.
Unhook it from the door and move the door to where it doesn't hit the arm and you will know how far to move the anchor out on the door.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #7

The doors I believe are all pre drilled, so was something mfg wrong?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Robert Mayberry

Coach door stop

That door stop is a problem to begin with in that it is quite flimsy. Mine has ripped out of the door a couple times in a gust of wind. It takes very little wind to damage it and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Any ideas out there?

Bob
SanFrancisco
2011 24S
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #9

If your asking about the plastic end being damaged due to a wind gust, I know you can buy replacement ends, to effect repair. The door should open with the piston acting as a damper until it opens to its full position.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmayberry View Post
That door stop is a problem to begin with in that it is quite flimsy. Mine has ripped out of the door a couple times in a gust of wind. It takes very little wind to damage it and I'm not quite sure what to do. Any ideas out there? Bob
The screws on the door were loose on mine when I picked it up from the dealer. Moved both anchors 2-1/2" toward the hinge and used 3/16" pop rivets on the door and it's held and still holding after 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door anchor relocated.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	54180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Both anchors relocated.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	54181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up door anchor relocated.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	54182  
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #11

Door stop adjustment

Quote:
Thank you
Dale
I too had the same problem after a short while of door use on my 2015 24R.

What I noticed is the door opener piston was actually loose and could be turned in a clockwise motion to tighten. This lessened the door travel to where it would no longer bump into the awning.
Gman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman53 View Post
I too had the same problem after a short while of door use on my 2015 24R.

What I noticed is the door opener piston was actually loose and could be turned in a clockwise motion to tighten. This lessened the door travel to where it would no longer bump into the awning.
So, your saying you can spin the piston while in its fastened position, and the travel of the piston decreases. Can you explain how the adjustment process works. Thanks
Old 06-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

Door stop adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
So, your saying you can spin the piston while in its fastened position, and the travel of the piston decreases. Can you explain how the adjustment process works. Thanks
Yes, that's correct. I was able to spin the piston in a clockwise motion and hence it lessened the travel distance.

On my model, the door stop is located at the bottom of the door and is fastened to the door threshold. At the point of the threshold connection is where I "tightened" the piston by turning it clockwise.
Gman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #14

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I just moved the mounting point on the door as suggested by MikeA and that fixed it. I will take a closer look at piston closer and see if end spins clock wise and changes its range of motion.

RDJJEF

Tags
door