Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #111
another flat tire story

I have a 2013 Solera R which has the yellow valve stem extenders.
After learning from the experience of others on this board, I tied the stems to the rim with nylon straps. We put 14000 miles on the RV without any problems at all.
Then, after returning home and parking the RV in the driveway for one week, I found that the passenger outer dually had gone completely flat and I could not pump it up. So I drove it very gently to the tire shop where they told me that I had a bad valve stem. They said that there are 'regular' and 'heavy duty' stems. Guess which kind was on my RV...?
One week later, the driver side outer dually was nearly flat, but this time I was able to pump it up again. On recommendation of another member of this board, I left the valve cap off and, voila: Two weeks later, no leak.
Turns out that the tire shop fitted all new valve caps and they were pushing slighly against the protruding extender stem, causing a slow leak.
The solution to the problem was to use a nail clipper and cut off about 1/32 of the stem, so it is flat with the housing.

dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #112
Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Is it possible it was so simple !

Finally decided to fix my liners yesterday. I redrilled the holes and manage to insert pop rivets in it. Better believe the grips have never been so tight.

But I had to pry the inside rim in order to get a good fit for the pop rivets and, guess what. After I fit that liner on the rim, impossible to get it out !

I then took my second liner, the one with no rivets missing and I just pried the inside rim to make the circumference a little bit larger, it works ! Both liners are now holding solid on the rims, so simple.

BUT.....I still put tie-wraps !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3559.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	63647   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3560.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	63648  

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote