Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #111

another flat tire story

I have a 2013 Solera R which has the yellow valve stem extenders.
After learning from the experience of others on this board, I tied the stems to the rim with nylon straps. We put 14000 miles on the RV without any problems at all.
Then, after returning home and parking the RV in the driveway for one week, I found that the passenger outer dually had gone completely flat and I could not pump it up. So I drove it very gently to the tire shop where they told me that I had a bad valve stem. They said that there are 'regular' and 'heavy duty' stems. Guess which kind was on my RV...?
One week later, the driver side outer dually was nearly flat, but this time I was able to pump it up again. On recommendation of another member of this board, I left the valve cap off and, voila: Two weeks later, no leak.
Turns out that the tire shop fitted all new valve caps and they were pushing slighly against the protruding extender stem, causing a slow leak.
The solution to the problem was to use a nail clipper and cut off about 1/32 of the stem, so it is flat with the housing.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #112

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Is it possible it was so simple !

Finally decided to fix my liners yesterday. I redrilled the holes and manage to insert pop rivets in it. Better believe the grips have never been so tight.

But I had to pry the inside rim in order to get a good fit for the pop rivets and, guess what. After I fit that liner on the rim, impossible to get it out !

I then took my second liner, the one with no rivets missing and I just pried the inside rim to make the circumference a little bit larger, it works ! Both liners are now holding solid on the rims, so simple.

BUT.....I still put tie-wraps !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3559.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	63647   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3560.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	63648  

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #113
2012 Solera

Same issue as Pedrodasdas. Cut wire ties in preparation for tire change, passenger side rear wheel liner practically fell off. Three rivets gone, one more very loose.
Pedrodasdas- if you are still around - did your repair with pop rivets hold up?

(Of note - no missing or loose rivets on the driver side liner.)

Now at 88K miles - about to install third set of tires - this is my first wheel liner issue. I have had my liners tied on with wire ties since almost new, as a result of reading this thread. Glad I did.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #114

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Ho Yes, still around and certainly not the last time we hear about those Dicor wheel cover and the flex of Mercedes rims"

To answer your question, No, the repair did not last and I finally ordered two more covers directly from Dicor. A good hint is that you can separate the center piece from the outside rim and order just the rims. It will save you much money but those rims are still expensive.

In the other hand, never had any bad experience with the new ones, they seems to grip a lot more BUT I'm still using tie-wraps !

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #115
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas View Post
Ho Yes, still around and certainly not the last time we hear about those Dicor wheel cover and the flex of Mercedes rims"

To answer your question, No, the repair did not last and I finally ordered two more covers directly from Dicor. A good hint is that you can separate the center piece from the outside rim and order just the rims. It will save you much money but those rims are still expensive.

In the other hand, never had any bad experience with the new ones, they seems to grip a lot more BUT I'm still using tie-wraps !
Thanks. Also got your private message - ignore my reply, you answered here! I was afraid the pop-rivets wouldn't hold.

Regards, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #116
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas View Post

As Pedrodasdas' repair did not hold up well, I tried a different, more aggressive fix. I drilled trough the wheel cover, then enlarged the outer hole with a 3/8 inch drill, and replaced the missing and loose rivets with hardened cap screws and Nyloc nuts from Ace Hardware (Ace part #s 43844A and 3384B). Pictures should show a failed rivet next to the Ace cap screw and nut, the repaired tabs, the riveted tabs for comparison, the holes through the wheel cover with the Nyloc nuts, and the outside of the wheel cover showing the five rivets I replaced with cap screws and nuts.

I will continue to use wire ties; time will tell if this repair holds up.

FYI

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4350.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	143306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4351.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	143307   Click image for larger version