Originally Posted by joeconn
For Ilmor: How did you solve, or where did you get, extension stems after installing the new high pressure stems? (Also, I intend to get that monitoring system you have.
But I need to solve the extension stem problem first – I think.)
J.C., my dealer, TerryTown RV, located in Grand Rapids, MI, got my next extensions for me, and I installed them myself at home.
Also, with respect to the monitoring system (would apply to all brands), there is something to be away of.
The sensors, which mount to each stem, do weigh, I think about .3 ounces each. They are very light, but they do cause some issues which must be contended with.
See the photos I've included. You'll note, the metal brackets on the rear wheel bent outward during my recent trip, due to the centrifugal force. I'm not sure if I'll do anything about this, as they appear to bend only so far. I'm going to think about it.
As for the front wheel (see photo), the only way to fit the sensor on that stem (if you have wheel covers as I do), is to install a little valve extension. It appeared to me that the added weight of the extension and sensor caused a little front wheel imbalance. I tested this out by removing the wheel covers (during my trip), and making home-made wheel weights w/ two quarters and duct tape, taping them to the inside of the wheel cover. After I did this, the balance seemed fine, so I guess I was correct. Although my temporary "wheel weights" worked well over 1300 miles of wet weather travel (!), I will be doing something more permanent.
So, this is just a heads up about the added issue w/ the sensors. There's always something it seems!
Besides that, the TireTraker system worked very well. It was great knowing the tire temps and pressures during travel, especially since it eliminated any concerns that certain tires were more overloaded that others (all pressures remained fairly consistent).