Old 09-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeconn View Post
For Ilmor: How did you solve, or where did you get, extension stems after installing the new high pressure stems? (Also, I intend to get that monitoring system you have.
But I need to solve the extension stem problem first I think.)
J.C., my dealer, TerryTown RV, located in Grand Rapids, MI, got my next extensions for me, and I installed them myself at home.

Also, with respect to the monitoring system (would apply to all brands), there is something to be away of.

The sensors, which mount to each stem, do weigh, I think about .3 ounces each. They are very light, but they do cause some issues which must be contended with.

See the photos I've included. You'll note, the metal brackets on the rear wheel bent outward during my recent trip, due to the centrifugal force. I'm not sure if I'll do anything about this, as they appear to bend only so far. I'm going to think about it.

As for the front wheel (see photo), the only way to fit the sensor on that stem (if you have wheel covers as I do), is to install a little valve extension. It appeared to me that the added weight of the extension and sensor caused a little front wheel imbalance. I tested this out by removing the wheel covers (during my trip), and making home-made wheel weights w/ two quarters and duct tape, taping them to the inside of the wheel cover. After I did this, the balance seemed fine, so I guess I was correct. Although my temporary "wheel weights" worked well over 1300 miles of wet weather travel (!), I will be doing something more permanent.

So, this is just a heads up about the added issue w/ the sensors. There's always something it seems!

Besides that, the TireTraker system worked very well. It was great knowing the tire temps and pressures during travel, especially since it eliminated any concerns that certain tires were more overloaded that others (all pressures remained fairly consistent).

Old 09-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #22

Ilmor: thank u for your posting of today. That's interesting: because Terry Town (in Grand Rapids) is the same dealership we bought our Solera from back in April of last year. And they (Terry Town) got your extensions for you? Interesting.

But at the moment I can't pursue the matter with Terry Town and/or Forest River. We (my wife and I ... and two dogs and one cat) are departing tomorrow a.m. in the Solera to go to Kentucky for a family reunion. Be gone for a week or so. Once I get back, I'll pursue this matter further.

Thank you very much for your posting of today (with its images). It's very helpful - and I know it took u some time to produce. Again, many thanks &

Best regards, joe conn

Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeconn View Post
Ilmor: thank u for your posting of today. That's interesting: because Terry Town (in Grand Rapids) is the same dealership we bought our Solera from back in April of last year. And they (Terry Town) got your extensions for you? Interesting.

But at the moment I can't pursue the matter with Terry Town and/or Forest River. We (my wife and I ... and two dogs and one cat) are departing tomorrow a.m. in the Solera to go to Kentucky for a family reunion. Be gone for a week or so. Once I get back, I'll pursue this matter further.

Thank you very much for your posting of today (with its images). It's very helpful - and I know it took u some time to produce. Again, many thanks &

Best regards, joe conn

Joe,

You're welcome; enjoy your trip and please let us know ow things work out. Maybe in the end result we'll get all this resolved in a better way.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #24

Incidentally, the replacement airline extensions provided to and purchased by me are:

Dicor Air Gard VHS-GC 4 hose set

They fit very well.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
I just got my SS24SS 2 month ago and you guys really scared me with that double blowout episod. So I did some homework. Could not find any incident on the web with sprinter and tire failure so it looks it's a Solera problem.

I may be wrong but I think you see the problem the wrong way. You say the wheel cover went airborne when the tire failed. My theory is that the wheel cover went loose first and, as it is attached to the tires by the valves extension, it can not go anywhere before it ripped the valves.

Did one of you notice a shimmy in the steering wheel seconds before the blowout ?

I came up with that theory after I loose my front wheel cover !!!

Make sense to me, how about you ?

By the way, where can I get a front wheel cover in Quebec ?????

Pierre
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas View Post
I just got my SS24SS 2 month ago and you guys really scared me with that double blowout episod. So I did some homework. Could not find any incident on the web with sprinter and tire failure so it looks it's a Solera problem.

I may be wrong but I think you see the problem the wrong way. You say the wheel cover went airborne when the tire failed. My theory is that the wheel cover went loose first and, as it is attached to the tires by the valves extension, it can not go anywhere before it ripped the valves.

Did one of you notice a shimmy in the steering wheel seconds before the blowout ?

I came up with that theory after I loose my front wheel cover !!!

Make sense to me, how about you ?

By the way, where can I get a front wheel cover in Quebec ?????

Pierre
Pierre, what you say is possible and I considered that, however after seeing how tight those rear wheel covers are fastened to the wheel I don't think that was the cause. Stilll, we probably can't rule that our 100%, at least based on my case.

As for the wheel cover, I would give your dealer a call; I hunted and hunted and eventually that's the way I had to go.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Quote: however after seeing how tight those rear wheel covers are fastened to the wheel.

I agree, the wheel cover, in normal condition, is holding tight but if you look around, you will notice a considerable amount of wheel cap on the side of the road.

Just a large pothole on the road and there goes your cap !

I will go double safe: I will tie the valve extension to the wheel cover but be sure I will also tie-wrap my wheel cover to the wheel.

Pierre
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #28

I think I'll do the same!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #29

I think the same thing because I tried to pull the caps off. The one on the right comes off a lot easier than the left side.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #30

You can pull the right side off with one hand. You have to really pull with both hands to get the left side off.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote