Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #41

This is dangerous. Thank God I was on a small highway and not on route 95.
I think I will call someone is responsible if is happening to so many of us. I found Forest River very helpful in the past making good on warrantee items.
I will do some inquiring. I have recipes and photos.

gonzo
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
This is dangerous. Thank God I was on a small highway and not on route 95.
I think I will call someone is responsible if is happening to so many of us. I found Forest River very helpful in the past making good on warrantee items.
I will do some inquiring. I have recipes and photos.

gonzo
Would be awesome if they would do something to help.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #43

Stems

It's not the stem or extensions that are the problem. It's the hub cap. You can pull it off by hand. Then when it comes off it pulls stems out of rim. Caps need to be bolted to wheel.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
It's not the stem or extensions that are the problem. It's the hub cap. You can pull it off by hand. Then when it comes off it pulls stems out of rim. Caps need to be bolted to wheel.
I don't think you can know for sure. In my opinion, however, the caps are on as tight as any hubcap I've ever had on a vehicle, and I've never had one fly off in 40 years of driving. Also, I do not see or hear about these types of caps flying off all the time, and there are thousands of them on the road.

So, I don't think its the cap. I do know, however, that the problem has not reoccurred since I took my steps.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #45

Well after I had the problem and was sent a new cap. I could pull it off with one hand. That was without even pulling hard. So I bent the tabs and now you need a tool to get it off.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #46

valve extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You are on the right path, Mike Jankowski is the correct contact. The metal braided valve extensions were given to us by the supplier (not sure who) for that particular setup. I know we use another extension called "Air Flexx" on our Ford product. I helped bring that supplier (Air -Flexx) on board based on experience with a rental account. Too many of their braided valves leaked when they became loose. With the Air-Flexx extension, it is lightweight, rigid, does not need to be secured to the rim and does not pressurize. You can cut the extension in half and it will not let air out of the tire. I cannot confirm that we have switched to that on the Solera, but I know their benefits and it seems a likely replacement.

My 2012 Solera 24m has yellow solid plastic valve extensions....is this the one bclemens is refering too? My problem with these is the inner tire extensions will not show pressure on my digital tire valve reader. Outside works fine ?
ruggie4solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
I completly agree with Papap: the hub cap is THE problem.
Make sure it is solid and you won't have the problem.
I was lucky, the one which flew away was my front right and there is no stem attached to it !

If you don't succeed at first......use more tie-wrap !

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggie4solara View Post
My 2012 Solera 24m has yellow solid plastic valve extensions....is this the one bclemens is refering too? My problem with these is the inner tire extensions will not show pressure on my digital tire valve reader. Outside works fine ?
Yes, solid plastic are the Air-Flexx. The digital guage may not be depressing the middle stem, that in turn pushes in the valve stem.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
John

Sorry but this is incorrect:
""It's not the stem or extensions that are the problem. It's the hub cap. You can pull it off by hand. Then when it comes off it pulls stems out of rim. Caps need to be bolted to wheel.""

It is the braided metal valve extensions I has this happen and posted a long time ago here is the issue:
At frwy speed the weight of this extension would pull out the inner tire valve plug ( just rubber plugs actually) then the weight of the rv all goes to the outer tire, then the wheel flexes and the hub cap pops off it bangs around causing damage till the outer braided extension twists enough to break off.
An excellent post alerted me and I was going to check it when I got back from my trip then I heard the exact sound(s) he mentioned and pulled over
2 hours and $ 300 later AAA was able to get me back on the road.
All that was needed was 2 valve plugs installed from the inside

The fix is valves held in the rim with nuts on the inside. MB said the plug valves are fine and they are but cannot take the centrifugal weight of the extension.

I still have all the old parts both valves braids and dented rim. My dealer and/or FR fixed mine and the resulting damage under warranty.
SoCal Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #50

Well on mine. The hub cap is what came off first. It pulled the stem off the inside wheel and the extension on outside tire came off stem. No blowouts.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #51
John

Well Im sure you are right you were there... My inside valve came off so completely all the air @ 75# psi came out in a hurry like 1 second, the outer tire took several minutes so i was able to pull over and didn't damage either tire.
My explanation came from Limor's excellent explanation with the sounds of: Whoosh... bang bang bang.. hiss.. IIRC that exactly what happened to me thank you BTW Limor

How did you lose a valve and not lose all the air ?
John
SoCal Solera
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #52

Here's something else that happened to me when we had our first MH. The hub cap moved around the wheel. I know this because I had rubber valve stems and I noticed that the stem was laid over to the side by the movement of the cap. At first I thought maybe I put the cap on incorrectly so I R&R ed it and later noticed that it again moved. I switched to metal valve stems and that stopped the cap from moving. I believe that most MH hub caps are bolted on to prevent this from happening.
JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #53

Lost all the air on inside tire but was able to unscrew hose on out side tire before it went flat

Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #54

Centrifugal force would cause the extension to push the valve stem, not pull it.

I was not able to find metal bolted valve stems when I replaced mine. Can someone provide a link or lead on a set?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #55
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Centrifugal force would cause the extension to push the valve stem, not pull it.

I was not able to find metal bolted valve stems when I replaced mine. Can someone provide a link or lead on a set?
So if you held one in your hand and swung it around ... It would push into your hand ?
Sorry I reversed the first two letters of your handle, your post and explanation was the exact thing that happened to me.

John
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #56
2018 FR3 30DS

I think what is being said about centrifugal force is that from the center of the hubcap, when the wheel is turning, force is pushing the valve extensions towards the valve stem and not pulling it towards the center....
If the hub cap comes out, then the extensions and possibly the valve stems will be pulled out...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #57
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post

I googled metal valve stems and they can be purchased in most auto parts store (Auto Zone, etc.). When having my Solera tires balanced I asked the owner about metal valve stems and he said he would have to see what size the holes in the rim are. So, apparently, they must be different sizes diameter and length and maybe other factors..
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Solera View Post
So if you held one in your hand and swung it around ... It would push into your hand ?
Sorry I reversed the first two letters of your handle, your post and explanation was the exact thing that happened to me.

John
John, your analogy does not match the reality.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #59

Blow on our 2013 Mini Lite

Our 21' Mini Lite is almost four months old, has less than 6K miles on it. From the start, two, sometimes three tires would lose 10-25 psi in a week while parked! FR was going to fix the problem, if I could get it to a dealer. The Mini took care of itself! While driving at 60 mph, a blowout occurred on the front left camper tire; never knew it! I changed the tire - the only one that never lost pressure. But, because we were still 900 miles from home, I didn't feel good driving without a spare. To say nothing of the uneasy feeling of the possibility of another blowout. We went to a Goodyear Tire Cntr, replaced all four. FR told me to send them the receipt. I'll keep you posted. BTW, FR has discontinued using Karrier tires.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #60

Right Rear Outside Tire lost pressure

I've been reading posts about problems with the right rear tires on the Solera for over a year. Like others, my 2010 Solera's right rear wheel cover is much looser than the left rear. I zip-tied both wheel covers and thought that solved the problem. I've travelled over 10,000 miles and no problem with the valve stems. Alas, today I pulled it out of storage to find the outside right rear tire flat. I inflated the tire, and so far it seems to be holding air. Any insight on this problem? Why would the tire go flat and now hold air? Just glad it didn't go flat at highway speed. But now I'm scared to take a trip without resolving the issue.
scarlton46 is offline   Reply With Quote