Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #51
John

Well Im sure you are right you were there... My inside valve came off so completely all the air @ 75# psi came out in a hurry like 1 second, the outer tire took several minutes so i was able to pull over and didn't damage either tire.
My explanation came from Limor's excellent explanation with the sounds of: Whoosh... bang bang bang.. hiss.. IIRC that exactly what happened to me thank you BTW Limor

How did you lose a valve and not lose all the air ?
John
SoCal Solera

Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #52

Here's something else that happened to me when we had our first MH. The hub cap moved around the wheel. I know this because I had rubber valve stems and I noticed that the stem was laid over to the side by the movement of the cap. At first I thought maybe I put the cap on incorrectly so I R&R ed it and later noticed that it again moved. I switched to metal valve stems and that stopped the cap from moving. I believe that most MH hub caps are bolted on to prevent this from happening.
JMTCW
TeJay

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #53

Lost all the air on inside tire but was able to unscrew hose on out side tire before it went flat

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #54

Centrifugal force would cause the extension to push the valve stem, not pull it.

I was not able to find metal bolted valve stems when I replaced mine. Can someone provide a link or lead on a set?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #55
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Centrifugal force would cause the extension to push the valve stem, not pull it.

I was not able to find metal bolted valve stems when I replaced mine. Can someone provide a link or lead on a set?
So if you held one in your hand and swung it around ... It would push into your hand ?
Sorry I reversed the first two letters of your handle, your post and explanation was the exact thing that happened to me.

John
SoCal Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #56
2018 FR3 30DS

I think what is being said about centrifugal force is that from the center of the hubcap, when the wheel is turning, force is pushing the valve extensions towards the valve stem and not pulling it towards the center....
If the hub cap comes out, then the extensions and possibly the valve stems will be pulled out...
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #57
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post

I googled metal valve stems and they can be purchased in most auto parts store (Auto Zone, etc.). When having my Solera tires balanced I asked the owner about metal valve stems and he said he would have to see what size the holes in the rim are. So, apparently, they must be different sizes diameter and length and maybe other factors..
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Solera View Post
So if you held one in your hand and swung it around ... It would push into your hand ?
Sorry I reversed the first two letters of your handle, your post and explanation was the exact thing that happened to me.

John
John, your analogy does not match the reality.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #59

Blow on our 2013 Mini Lite

Our 21' Mini Lite is almost four months old, has less than 6K miles on it. From the start, two, sometimes three tires would lose 10-25 psi in a week while parked! FR was going to fix the problem, if I could get it to a dealer. The Mini took care of itself! While driving at 60 mph, a blowout occurred on the front left camper tire; never knew it! I changed the tire - the only one that never lost pressure. But, because we were still 900 miles from home, I didn't feel good driving without a spare. To say nothing of the uneasy feeling of the possibility of another blowout. We went to a Goodyear Tire Cntr, replaced all four. FR told me to send them the receipt. I'll keep you posted. BTW, FR has discontinued using Karrier tires.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #60

Right Rear Outside Tire lost pressure

I've been reading posts about problems with the right rear tires on the Solera for over a year. Like others, my 2010 Solera's right rear wheel cover is much looser than the left rear. I zip-tied both wheel covers and thought that solved the problem. I've travelled over 10,000 miles and no problem with the valve stems. Alas, today I pulled it out of storage to find the outside right rear tire flat. I inflated the tire, and so far it seems to be holding air. Any insight on this problem? Why would the tire go flat and now hold air? Just glad it didn't go flat at highway speed. But now I'm scared to take a trip without resolving the issue.