Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #61

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Probably more like a slow leak from the valve or a screw or nail in the tire.
I use a stud sensor, no kidding, to locate nails or screws in tire. Just pass it gently over the rolling band until it beeps.
For the valve , just put a little bit of saliva on the tip and watch for a bubble to form.
Let us know !

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #62

While not owning what most of you have, I had a flat tire, no blow out, on my dually last summer. Couldn't find the reason at all. I changed the tire. It was an out side tire. After returning to the campground, I got my air compressor out and tried to fill the tire(80) lbs.It would only go to 50 and no more. Just by accident I moved the valve stem and there was a blast of air. It was coming from the valve stem. I had and still have valve stem extenders on although not the braided type like most of you are talking about. The valve stem was rubber with a metal, high pressure end. So I figured that the the rotation of the tire when moving would pull the valve stem and extension, therefore ripping the rubber of the valve stem. My fix was to go to a tire store and I had all the valve stems removed and all brass installed. They are the type that have a nut on the inside of the wheel to hold them in place. The extension aren't really long enough for me to get my hand into the rear duals to either put in air or let air out so I have a tool to take the rear inserts off the wheels. Now everything is good to go. Stay safe.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
This is scary, it begs the question tho, what does your average dually truck have, or semi's have, surely FR only need to duplicate what the industry have to produce something safe. How difficult can that be?
Stainless steel bolt on is what semi's use. I also use short stainless valve stems on my purdy 15 in. rims on my Jeep.

Years camping....52
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #64

TPMS with AirFlexx

I have a 2012 Solera with the factory installed Air-Flexx extenders mentioned by BCLEMENS on the rear duals. These extenders are not secured to the rims in any way, and apparently this is not required.

So the question now arises... I want to add TPMS sensors on my tires. Adding them to the end of the Air-Flexx extenders would add more weight to those extenders, possibly making them want to whip freely when the wheel is rotating. Seems to me as though this would likely cause damage to the extenders and/or the TPMS sensors. I don't really want to go through the agony of removing the Air-Flexx and installing a different set of extenders, and I'm not sure what the best ones would be if I did this.

Anyone have a suggestion? Or a Solution? I noticed in an earlier post someone had secured their extenders to the outer wheel/hubcap with cable ties. I wonder if I should try this!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #65

Metal Valve Stems

I finally feel like I can get back on the road with confidence. I took my 2010 Solera to Bears Tires in San Diego - great shop! I highly recommend them! They found the slow leak in my right rear inside tire was caused by a leak in the valve stem. They installed metal valve stems on all six tires ($13 per tire). The original braided extensions worked with the new valve stems just fine. Then I bought the heavy duty zip ties and tied down the rear wheel covers (the right wheel cover has always been very loose). So I think I'm good to go.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #66
GM

I was at a show this weekend and a customer was trading in their view on a Solera. Funny thing is he complained that their right rear wheel liner came off on their View.

Its like the right rear of the Sprinter is in the Bermuda triangle.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #67

I just encountered this older thread and realized that I had a similar problem on my Born Free 24 ft. Rear Bath Class C Motorhome. I had added a set of TPMS sensors and braided valve stem extenders for the inner wheels of the duals. The extenders were anchored to the rim. After a 350 mile drive in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, I discovered that the inner left rear tire had deflated, with a missing valve stem and extender. I put on my spare and removed the extender and TPMS sensors and safely made it to my destination. I then researched the issue of tire stem and tire stem extension failure on RV dual tire setups and found a set of all metal tire valve stems which were specifically designed for access to the inner tires and were compatible with very high tire pressures. I installed them, added my TPMS sensors and have never had a problem since. These are made by Tire Man and are sold by internet purchase only. The link for more info is: ridgecrest.ca.us and the stems for the Sprinter 3500 dual chassis are their model 4-6DS. This will be one of the first mods I will make after I take delivery of the Solera 24S.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGRUN View Post
I just encountered this older thread and realized that I had a similar problem on my Born Free 24 ft. Rear Bath Class C Motorhome. I had added a set of TPMS sensors and braided valve stem extenders for the inner wheels of the duals. The extenders were anchored to the rim. After a 350 mile drive in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, I discovered that the inner left rear tire had deflated, with a missing valve stem and extender. I put on my spare and removed the extender and TPMS sensors and safely made it to my destination. I then researched the issue of tire stem and tire stem extension failure on RV dual tire setups and found a set of all metal tire valve stems which were specifically designed for access to the inner tires and were compatible with very high tire pressures. I installed them, added my TPMS sensors and have never had a problem since. These are made by Tire Man and are sold by internet purchase only. The link for more info is: ridgecrest.ca.us and the stems for the Sprinter 3500 dual chassis are their model 4-6DS. This will be one of the first mods I will make after I take delivery of the Solera 24S.
Frank: There are lots of "Fun" mods to make on the Solera, but the solid tire stems are a safety issue and in my opinion should come first.

After reading about problems here on the forum, I had tried to add my TPMS sensors to the end of the plastic extenders, but never felt safe cause I had to zip tie them to the rim, and that meant bending them a little. I put on the solid extenders and never looked back, and never had to add air but once after installing them. I had the Truck Tire Systems unit; they worked well, with adjustable alarms, etc. My tire guy only charged me $8 per tire, to remove, install the stem, and balance them up. Another guy had quoted $16/tire and I had thought that was a good price before I found the better price. Either way, a good investment.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso
Got them here (here's a link) - Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops
You might want to go ahead and give them a call. Speak to Bill Falkenborg
Phone is 800-300-2674
Bill has apparently sold Metal stem sets for several Sprinter Motorhomes. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I called. I got this referral from another post on the forum.

Just a Quick Note, I had Stainless Steel "Extenders" installed on my tires for my first trip in my 2013 Solera 24S to hopefully alleviate any tire problems two months ago. Anyway, I had nothing but problems with the “Airless Extenders” from Orlando-Tucson-Albuquerque-Dallas-Canyon Lake-Orlando. The main problem was the extenders were vibrating off the rubber tire stems in the wheel well and leaking pressure. I ended up loosing an inner tire enroute. They were not one piece tied into the 16" steel tire wheel well. Now they are and I would highly recommend them. You can also install a tire pressure monitor with these at a later date if it meets your needs. Just some "Food for Thought." Good Luck and Happy Travels.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #70

Sprinter needs to make the wheel covers bolt to rim. End of problem.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote