Old 02-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #71

Just to clarify my earlier post, I was referring to all-metal valve stems that are specially shaped for access to the inner and outer tire of the duallys. Not extenders. The all metal valve stems do not require any additional support to mount TPMS sensors as well. The
Taylorgso link vendor has both extenders and all-metal valve stems.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGRUN View Post
Just to clarify my earlier post, I was referring to all-metal valve stems that are specially shaped for access to the inner and outer tire of the duallys. Not extenders. The all metal valve stems do not require any additional support to mount TPMS sensors as well. The
Taylorgso link vendor has both extenders and all-metal valve stems.
Got them here (here's a link) - Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops
You might want to go ahead and give them a call. Speak to Bill Falkenborg
Phone is 800-300-2674
Bill has apparently sold ALL-Metal stem sets for several Sprinter Motorhomes. Happy Travels.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #73

Been reading through this thread and thought I would give my thoughts on the subject. We have a 2011 24S that did not come with any extensions. The brackets for attaching them were on the hubcaps but no extensions.

I thought about getting some to make it easier to check/add air pressure but immediately thought about what would happen if the hub cap decided to break free. Even if the hose didn't break, having the hubcap attached to a flexible line thrashing the daylights out of the wheel well doesn't appeal to me.

A simple truck air gauge and filler attachment is available at just about any auto parts store and allows one to check / fill tires with the standard rubber stems without removing the hubcaps. Its a bit of a pain because the stems bend and it's not easy to get a good connection to the gauge or filler but it's not too bad.

My hubcaps are a bear to get off and I think it's unlikely that they would come loose while driving but the idea of attaching them to the valve stem via anything just sounds like asking for trouble to me. If I could pull mine off with one hand as some have experienced, I would either fix them or put them one a shelf somewhere as they will likely fall off regardless of whether they have extensions attached.

At some point in the future I will replace the stems with metal ones and maybe a U-shaped one for the one that faces inward. This should greatly simplify the checking/filling process and provide some peace of mind.

I realize my current setup isn't all that convenient, but I'll take it over worrying about a sudden loss of air pressure any day.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #74

This is a very interesting and timely thread for me. After traveling for a month in our 2014 Solera, I noticed on our last day of travel our right rear hub was missing which I am sure was there the day before. I do not recall loud bang. RV is in storage now but I will check it tomorrow after reading this thread to see if valve extenders are damaged. I do not think tires are low.

Two questions.

Will Forest River replace hub under one year warranty? If not, will Mercedes?

If I take RV back to dealer to check valve extenders, what do I tell them I want specifically?

Sorry, that is three questions.

It does bother me that this problem has continued for sometime.

Thanks to all.
dale
Old 04-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #75

BClements, any thoughts? Is FR going to fix?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #76

Don't know maybe I just got lucky (so far), I have 15000 on my 2013 Solera have not had any tire or rim problems. I just had the tires rotated and new valve stems put on. I asked the guy at the tire company about extenders to which he stated that he didn't trust them as he's never found one that didn't have a problem sooner or later.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #77

Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
Got them here (here's a link) - Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops
You might want to go ahead and give them a call. Speak to Bill Falkenborg
Phone is 800-300-2674
Bill has apparently sold ALL-Metal stem sets for several Sprinter Motorhomes. Happy Travels.

How do you rotate the tires with these installed
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #78

Talked to Tire Man that also sells steel stems and he is very informative Tire-Man: Kit #4-6DS Upgrade with Wheel Liner.
He says that most RV tires "age out" before they need rotating. Of course that would depend on how many miles you travel on a set per year. He suggests only rotating side to side due to the way RV tires wear. I am no expert but what he was saying sounded logical. I think I will buy my stems elsewhere so I don't have to modify my front wheel covers as required with Tire Mans stems.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #79
GM

PaDawg,

Just a heads up, if you read the whole thread I have already responded. Post #38.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #80

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Hello gang,

I never thought I would have to post something on that subject again but I do !!!

What I found will be useful even for those with the ridgid extension (since 2012 I think).

Just today, went for a short ride, arrive to the beach with a funny (well, not so funny) noise from the rear right wheel.
The hubcap was trying to escape !!! The only reason it stayed there were the 2 tie-wraps I put un 2011 when that thread begins.

From 2011, I think nobody really found why we were loosing hubcap. These are made by Dicor.

Examining my wheel liner, I discovered it was holding to the rim with little grips or teeth, name it as you wish. These teeth, in pair, hold to the liner with rivet. Ten rivets for the right rear liner.

On mine, 7 out of 10 were gone ! Where and why, don't know ! There is no damage at all on the liner. The rivets are just gone and the teeth are loose son they don't hold to the rim anymore.

I will update tomorrow when I remove my three other liners.

Picture 1 shows rear right liner, no damage.
Picture 2, teeth with rivets in place.
Picture 3, rivets vanished, as you can see, no rust no damage, just gone with the wind !

Mr Clemens, I will also send a copy of this thread to Dicor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6077.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	57053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6078.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	57054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6079.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	57055  

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote