Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Dry Camping Water Pump Problem

Just pulled my Solera out of storage and getting ready for the summer trip. Noticed when I turn on the water pump it runs and runs but their is no pressure of water coming out of the Faucets . Finally after one minute or so turn the pump off. I have over one half tank filled with water. Any ideas or thoughts of the problem appreciate it-Thanks.
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #2

Valve is still in antifreeze position?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Valve is still in antifreeze position?
X2

Bruce
Old 05-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

If its not the antifreeze valve (in which case it will never self-prime), it may be that your unit just takes a long time to prime (i.e. draw water from the FW tank using vacuum caused by pumping out the air in the line).

Patience, Grasshopper: RV water pumps are built to be able to run dry like this for quite a while.

P.S. make sure you have at least a cold water faucet open when running the pump for priming... that air its sucking out of the FW-tank-to-pump line has to go somewhere.

If it doesn't prime in about 5 minutes, then you might have either a bit of debris in the pump check valve (unscrewing the pump head and cleaning manually might be necessary) or if you didn't use the pump to suck the FW tank dry (and then some) before switching the input to AF, you might have cracked a fitting in that line due to freezing water and it will suck air forever.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #5

Experienced the same thing on my last wk's trip since I didn't use the WP for a long time. It worked after 1~2 minutes with the faucet valve open. Try it again.

2015 Solera 24R
rvcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
Just pulled my Solera out of storage and getting ready for the summer trip. Noticed when I turn on the water pump it runs and runs but their is no pressure of water coming out of the Faucets . Finally after one minute or so turn the pump off. I have over one half tank filled with water. Any ideas or thoughts of the problem appreciate it-Thanks.
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"

I had a similar issue and after blowning some air
through the inlet side with the outlet line disconnected it started pumping again. Either there was some debris in the pump or the check valve was stuck closed.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
If its not the antifreeze valve (in which case it will never self-prime), it may be that your unit just takes a long time to prime (i.e. draw water from the FW tank using vacuum caused by pumping out the air in the line).

Patience, Grasshopper: RV water pumps are built to be able to run dry like this for quite a while.

P.S. make sure you have at least a cold water faucet open when running the pump for priming... that air its sucking out of the FW-tank-to-pump line has to go somewhere.

If it doesn't prime in about 5 minutes, then you might have either a bit of debris in the pump check valve (unscrewing the pump head and cleaning manually might be necessary) or if you didn't use the pump to suck the FW tank dry (and then some) before switching the input to AF, you might have cracked a fitting in that line due to freezing water and it will suck air forever.
I use the low point drain to allow the pump to prime, only because it is closer to the pump. I suppose I could also use the outside shower.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"

CaptDan, try this trick. Reset lever to winterize, take your garden hose (no nozzle ) butt it up to the end of the winterizing pickup hose, so as to apply a low pressure volume stream of water. Turn on a faucet, thus activating the pump circuit, and that should get enough water in the plumbing system to prime your pump. I would wrap a towel around the butt connection as you hold it, to minimize splash back.
That will charge the system with enough water to allow you to go to normal mode and get you back online.
This method works when your pump has lost prime due to no water/anti-freeze in the circuit to enable it to return to operating pressure.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #9

From what I understand all later model pumps are self priming if the water level in the tank is above the pumping element.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
From what I understand all later model pumps are self priming if the water level in the tank is above the pumping element.
Yep. But sometimes a situation occurs where the self priming just can't pull the long air slug along to the pump, allowing to push water
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Yep. But sometimes a situation occurs where the self priming just can't pull the long air slug along to the pump, allowing to push water
Yep. Disconnecting the inlet to the pump and allowing water to drain until air is gone will get rid of the slug.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

Thanks to all for your responses. I will go back to my storage facility and try to get it working. Just do not want to leave the motor running too long-might burn up. Thinking of buying an extra motor just in case I have any other problems as a backup. Thanks again!!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
PS: See you all on the road by 15 June 2016.

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #13

I had the same problem with.mine after "blowing " the system out. I only use a little antifreeze to protect the pump. I had to put the winterize section of hose in a bucket, above the level of the pump and let it run for a couple minutes. Then presto, I had water in the pump and I could switch back to drawing from the tank.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #14

Worth checking -

pump in "normal" mode, not winterize
low point drains closed
hot water tank drain closed
hot water tank pressure valve closed
hot water tank valves in normal operation mode, not bypass
filter canister properly connected
exterior hose or sprayer disconnected or closed off
exterior sink faucets closed

Tags