Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Northern Most Member ?

Electric step fuse location?

My 2013 24R electric step has stopped working.
It has 12v to the modual (light comes on), switch next to door lights up but no power on the yellow wire from the ignition.

Does anyone know the location of the fuse for the yellow ignition wire?

Thanks for the help
Tim
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #2

Try this. My step jammed in the closed position one time. Nothing I did would activate its travel. My light came on and the step switch light lite as well. I applied foot pressure to the top of the step until I heard a slight pop noise. It was a guess on my part since it had been operating a bit funny prior to the stoppage. I assume the step linkage had gotten out of joint somehow, and it has not happened since. I know frequently keep it lubricated, monitoring it for any gunk buildup, because the step is so exposed to the elements during flight.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Northern Most Member ?

Still Kickin,

Thanks for quick response but I have had the steps removed from the coach and all is well will it's motor and movement.

I have tested all wires and I am getting no signal (12 volts) from the yellow wire when the ignition is energised.

That wire disappears into the wireing loom and I don't know where it's fuse is or where it terminates within the coach.

If someone knew where the fuse was located or where it is attached so I could check its condition that would probably solve my problem.

Thanks for your help
Tim
Old 08-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #4

Not sure what your problem is by your write up. Has the steps stopped working in the out or in position? You say the amber step light is on when the step switch is set to on. That would indicate the steps are out and will not retract. If this is so sounds as though perhaps the door magnetic switch has failed or the magnet has become misaligned or open wire. The ignition interlock is an added feature but the magnetic switch is also a part of the equation.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Northern Most Member ?

I have bench tested the step operation and the motor extends and retracts as designed, no binding....smooth as silk.

The step does NOT go in or out when installed and plugged into the coach wireing. The magnetic door switch is functioning properly.

I have tested the coach wiring and all is well except for the ignition circuit..no power when key is energized.

This is why I am looking for help to find the fuse location for the ignition wire.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

But that ignition tie in is not necessary for the proper operation of your steps. It doesn't even come into play unless the steps are out and you start the engine. You should be concentrating on getting the steps to function without the ignition interlock. The steps should deploy when you open the door and stay out when you close the door unless the step switch is on (the switch is only used to retract the steps). If the switch is off and the door is closed then the ignition interlock will retract the steps. Your steps don't even function without the ignition interlock. If you could get the steps to work normally then troubleshoot the ignition issue is the way I would go. I think the fuse for the ignition tie in is in the fuse panel under the dash. Anyway, that's my input. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Northern Most Member ?

I see what your saying bubbles,

So if the step works without binding, the motor functions properly, There is power to the switch then would I need to replace the modual?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Last input. The ignition input to the steps is looking for 12VDC or OPEN. I do not know what would happen if that input was a GROUND (wire shorted to chassis ground) and not open. Not sure how the module would look at it if this happend. If you can disconnect (cut) that wire (splice back later) that would eliminate the ignition circuit entirely.

Tags
cat, electric, fuse, location