Jim, the "pedestal" is what we call the box on the "shore" that you plugged your "shore power" cord into. Standard procedure is to turn the circuit breaker inside that pedestal OFF before you plug into it, and then if course you have to turn it back on after that. (You also turn it off before you unplug, and most would just leave it off.)
The "transfer switch" is what is responsible for changing your power wires from your internal generator to the shore-power. I don't know where it's located (but probably not a part of the converter).
Another possibility is that your unit has a "Surge Protector" which has left the shore power disconnected because of faulty wiring in the pedestal. If you have one, it should have a display somewhere.