Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Robert Mayberry

Engine starting roughly

Hi,

My Solera has a 2010 Freightliner chassis. About a year ago I started the engine and it ran like it was missing a cylinder or something. So I shut it down and started it again and it ran perfect so I did nothing and subsequently forgot about it.

Then last week after we had a few cold nights - keep in mind I'm in San Francisco so cold means 38 degrees - and when I started it it ran real rough and made a metallic scraping noise in the engine. I immediately shut it down and tried to start it again. It was turning over good but after three attempts it would not start so I had it towed to Mercedes Sprinter in San Francisco.

Their door was not high enough to get the tow truck in there so they told me to start it and drive it in. After two tries it started right up and ran smoothly.

They kept it for a week and could find nothing wrong. No codes in the computer or anything and wondered why I had brought it in. So I paid the $950 bill - they did the 50k service too - and drove home. It ran perfect!

OK, anybody have any ideas on what the heck is going on?

Thank you.

Bob Mayberry
San Francisco
2011 Solera S
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

I don't know about the rough running....but the noise could be accessory drive.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Look at this forum for a possible answer to what you expierenced. Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum Let us know if you find anything intetesting.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Just a thought, was it parked on an incline for an extended length of time, before that start with the metalic scrapping noise?
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Robert Mayberry

Nope, perfectly level..............
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote