Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Entry step - an experience

The automatic entry step on our 2012 Solera is jammed. The motor runs and it moves a little, but is stuck out. I am going to take a closer look and see if it is dirt/gravel that stuck in a track.

What I would like to do is turn off the motor while I work on it. Anyone have experience with this issue and how to solve it?

Thanks, Steve

Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #2

Thats a tough one being it activates anytime the door triggers a sensor in the door jam. Serviced mine, grease, paint touch-up, etc. The step is always energized as a safty feature. If you make sure the door remains open while you work on it, there shouldn't be a problem. There is a electrical socket connection, right at the steps (underneath) that supplies power. I'd be extra cautious of the moving parts in case it cycles unexpected.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Either disconnect the motor or disconnect all the batteries (house and motor) and no shore power.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Thats a tough one being it activates anytime the door triggers a sensor in the door jam. Serviced mine, grease, paint touch-up, etc. The step is always energized as a safty feature. If you make sure the door remains open while you work on it, there shouldn't be a problem. There is a electrical socket connection, right at the steps (underneath) that supplies power. I'd be extra cautious of the moving parts in case it cycles unexpected.
I found the electrical connection and unplugged it. I put WD40 on all the rubbing parts and it moved better, but now it's stuck at the open position. It's beyond my mechanical ability, so I will have to try to get service before heading out to the Oregon desert. If they are full, I will just take the step off for the this trip. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Steve, if you take a look at the mechanism it has several pivot points when actuated. There is a shaft that has a swivel connection that goes to what looks like a steel ball. I would make sure that is lubricated with a grease, because the turbulance applied to that stair mech. while driving on wet, salty or dusty roads can cause it to hang up. Apply some lubricant to those piviot points as well. Hopefully that saves you a trip to the stealer. Good luck. Let us know how it turned out.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Hey Success! I sprayed all the moving parts - side hinges, ball joint, rachet mechanism - with Silicone Spray lubricant. And then used a little foot power to push the step in when the motor activated.
I found out that WD40 is the wrong stuff to use in this situation since it will attract dirt and turn gummy. So, lesson learned is to power wash that mechanism and then spray it with Silicone.
Thanks Still Kicking. Steve
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #7

Good to hear. Go easy with the power washer in that area. You have an electrical plug going to a controller box of some sort. I have no idea what water under pressure would do to that controller. Also, there is a courtesy light under there that might get wet beyond design fuction. Take a little vasaline, seperate the plug, and coat the terminals on the electrical plug, in case the high pressure water got on the pin connections. Just a dab of grease on that ball will go a long way.