Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Equalizer Systems and Bigfoot stabilizers comparison

In April and May we took a trip from Arizona to Florida and back using the Bigfoot stabilizers which were located in the rear of our 24S. For stabilizing they did a good job but do not have an auto retract and they hung low and would drag on entry/exit if not very carful.
We just returned from a trip to Yellowknife NWT, Canada and we had removed the Bigfoot stabilizers (only the jacks, not the pump etc) and had the Equalizer system installed for the trip. Never dragged the Equalizer scissor jacks and the retracted whenever the emergency brake was released and di a good job of keeping the drivers side from sagging when the room was extended but they did not stabilize the coach the way the Bigfoot stabilizers do.
So there is a tradeoff and you will have to judge for yourself what is best for you. Next trip I may try it with both systems operational and see how that works.
Each trip was about 45 days in length and the slide was extended every night so I think the results are fair in comparison.
I have received a lot of good information from this forum so thought maybe we could share our findings on the stabilizers.
Part time
2012-present
groupleaderpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Commercial Member

The new Bigfoot system has been modified forward, closer to the axle so they no longer drag. We too looked at the Equalizer system...but all those components seemed to flex more than that straight throw of the big foot. So big foot came in and just changed the design to solve the one issue we had...clearance. (although there is still the auto retract...but I'm guessing there is a way to do that if you wanted)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The new Bigfoot system has been modified forward, closer to the axle so they no longer drag. We too looked at the Equalizer system...but all those components seemed to flex more than that straight throw of the big foot. So big foot came in and just changed the design to solve the one issue we had...clearance. (although there is still the auto retract...but I'm guessing there is a way to do that if you wanted)
Brian,

Just a comment on the new location...it doesn't work very well. Our "W" rocks pretty good even with the jacks down. It is particularly noticeable when someone is in the shower. It appears to me the legs are too far forward and too far inboard to do much stabilizing. I think a set of electric scissor style jacks mounted in the outboard corners would be much more effective.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Some of that is inherent with the soft chassis suspension. I've been in them without stabilizers, with the old bigfoot version, the scissor style and the new bigfoot style.

The old big foot location is no doubt the best. We tried scissors in a similar location (corner) and it did not have the same stability that the straight hydraulic did. The relocated bigfoot was in between those two.

The problem with the scissor is that even though the LEG is at the outside corner...it is transferring the support back to the frame rails anyway. In addition just the geometry of that design allows more flex within the leg...there is more give even when extended.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

Big foot does make a forward stabilizer system for the MB chassis, I put one on my Solera last Spring and used it this Summer. system installs behind the front axle, Works very well for additional stability. Only bad part is the area it fits in is very tight and hard to get to the pump. May have to look at re locating the pump.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

I guess the smaller SunSeekers are different. I have a 3100SS and just had the Equalizer System installed on ours after Goshen. There is some movement, a lot less than scissor jacks I used before. Best up-grade I have made yet!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

My Bigfoots are in the original location.

Just got back from a 700 mile trip and did not use them at all, as a test.

Have SumoSprings all the way around and they performed like a champ.

Conclusions:

A. Bigfoots are no longer dragging

B. Sumo's really keep the rig stable when parked and when on the road

C. Rig is more level with Sumo's (Prior, the rear was always low)

D. Did not require or miss the rear Bigfoot's on this trip

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I guess the smaller SunSeekers are different. I have a 3100SS and just had the Equalizer System installed on ours after Goshen. There is some movement, a lot less than scissor jacks I used before. Best up-grade I have made yet!
Your 3100 should be a 4 point system. The Sprinters only have 2 point (unless you do an aftermarket addition)

Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

Pod2Vibe, so good to hear. I've got the Sumos (front and rear) and installation is scheduled for this Friday. If they stabilize the rig (stop the Bigfoot touchdowns and brave the wind a little better) they'll have been worth every penny.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, stabilizers