Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
ESP ASR & BAS lights during crosswinds

Has anyone else experienced these lights appearing during serve crosswinds? Is there a software upgrade from MB that will reduce this occurence?

13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Those systems are reacting to instability in the steering and braking system - apparently due to weight shift on the axles simulating impending slipping, which is a real possibility due to the height and wind loading surface of the Solera. Got a feeling MB has throughly researched the action of these systems, but you might check with a dealer and see if there is a firmware upgrade. For me, if those lights start blinking, telling me the systems are reacting to conditions, I'll just pull over and wait out the storm!!

Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

On our trip to Yellowstone last year the wind was blowing about 40mph. We had to drive very slow to stay on the highway. Never had any lights come on. But after just a few hours fighting the cross wind we found a campground for the day.
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
2012 Solera
My Solera "S" ESP light came on while driving on a highway in a severe crosswind. No other warning lights. It went out when I shut down and re-started; came on again in a heavy crosswind; out again at a shutdown/re-start; stayed off after that. I believe this behavior is "normal" - the ESP intervenes and the warning light latches on if the ESP computer sees a steering anomaly; re-sets on vehicle shutdown.
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
same here

Last month in New Mexico, the wind was so strong that I was driving 45 mph. After one particularly hard gust, the ESP light came on. I pulled over and shut it off. Opened the manual and read about the light. Restarted the engine, and the light stayed off. Winds calmed down, and it has not come on again in the last two trips...
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Same thing happened to me. Steady 20 mph crosswinds, gusts 35+, going about 60 mph, millisecond later I'm in the passing lane. Same warning lights came on. My guess is one of two things happened - the gust was strong enough to move the whole unit over or the gust was strong enough to lift the upwind wheels up, transferring all the power to the downwind wheels. They bit in shooting me in the passing lane. Any thoughts?
rvbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Yeah, thank god your able to talk about it is my comment. Based on what you just reported, i'll reduce speed to something under 55 mph. Did you need an underwear change after that! Thanks for the heads up.

2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote