Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #1

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system Failure (Stuck Open)

Just getting ready to get on the road when backing up Engine Check Warning Light came on with loss of power-Thought I was in the LIMP Mode. Had a friend run a Scanner Tool for Check Engine Light & Diagnostics and found my EGR Valve was the problem (Stuck Open). Now have my Solera 24S at the Mercedes-Benz dealer getting fixed. Only problem getting to the MB dealer was getting power to accelerate but after getting up over 35 MPH seem to run okay. Has anyone that owns a Solera had this problem with their EGR Valve?
CaptDan
Roseburg, OR
2013 Solera 24S
30,030 Total miles

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #2

I had my EGR valve fail at 105k miles on my 3.0L mercedes diesel powered Grand Cherokee. I'm going to delete all of that BS this summer.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I had my EGR valve fail at 105k miles on my 3.0L mercedes diesel powered Grand Cherokee. I'm going to delete all of that BS this summer.
Same here on delete-Thank God it happened here in the U.S. as I was heading to Alaska. I guess it is rare on the Solera! All Good!!

Old 06-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

UPDATE: For Solera Owners, Bought a 2012 Forest River Solera "S" new and had some Anomalies with maintenance for several years. When my extended warranty came up (Which I usually do not buy on anything) I had some doubts, but pulled the trigger and glad I did. On my way to Alaska June 2017 had some power issues in Oregon and went to the local dealer and found out at the Mercedes dealer that I had blown the Turbocharger today not the EGR valve that came up on the engine check light Scanner Tool. Thank God I had the warranty. My warranty is good for 175,000 miles to 2020. I only have 30,030 miles on my Sprinter 3500. I am sure the cost of the warranty to replace the Turbocharger will pay for itself!!
Respectfully,
CaptDan

Old 07-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Capt Dan

Who do you have your extended warranty with?
2015Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
UPDATE: had some Anomalies with maintenance for several years.
Do you have any ideas about why the turbo bit the dust? There's been repeated mention of improper reassembly after a fuel filter change ... could that have happened? Or do you know of something else?

Turbos ain't cheap!

Dave
Old 07-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

Happened to me. Dealer pinched the gasket when he put the intake back on after replacing fuel filter. Sucked the rubber into intake and damaged fins on turbo. Warranty covered it but took four days for Mercedes to figure out who would pay.
2015Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

Extended Warranty bought and covered by Mercedes-Benz (approximate cost less than $4,000-Costly, but I did not want another provider contesting maintenance issues by not paying, etc.). Fuel filter change done by Mercedes-Benz dealer-Mercedes-Benz of Boerne, Texas on a trip through at 20,000 miles- had Mercedes-Benz do due to reassembly issues I read on this blog . I do all oil changes with filter. More to follow on the Turbocharge failure as they are changing it out now and I do not know , but will update as soon as I talk to the Service Rep. on Monday or Wednesday next week. "Happy Fourth."
CaptDan

Old 07-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

I don't know enough about the electronics of engines to know if there is a relationship between the ERG and Air Mass Meter, but if there is the tech needs to review bulletin LI07.04-N-060527.

When my check engine light first came on MB ran a scan which indicated a faulty air mass meter which they replaced.

Later it came on again and the scan reported the same failure. The tech then found the above bulletin which let him know it was a false reading and it was an electrical part before the mass air meter. Have no idea if that part is somehow controlling the ERG or not.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #10

Mass air flow is the amount of air entering the engine.
The egr is used to recirculate against gases back into the engine to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

on my 2015 solera, the check engine lite came on at about 30k. Took it to MB dealer. Cause was egr valve, replaced under warr. No problem after repair. Also I believe they extended the warr on egr valves on some model years.
pcbikenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #12

Thanks Kenny. But I was wondering if the electronic whatsit I mentioned that was giving false readings might somehow be connected to the ERG as well. Hate to see the poster get several hundred miles from the MB warranty shop and have the same check engine light again like I did.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
I don't know enough about the electronics of engines to know if there is a relationship between the ERG and Air Mass Meter, but if there is the tech needs to review bulletin LI07.04-N-060527.

When my check engine light first came on MB ran a scan which indicated a faulty air mass meter which they replaced.

Later it came on again and the scan reported the same failure. The tech then found the above bulletin which let him know it was a false reading and it was an electrical part before the mass air meter. Have no idea if that part is somehow controlling the ERG or not.
The Tech reviewed the bulletin and it does not have the same faults as indicated off the scan-Thanks!! Still working on the Solera and will be out on Wednesday. More to follow. Have a "Great Fourth!
CaptDan

Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #14

The Tech finally got into my Turbo Charger and the suspect is an "O" Ring (Rubber) that somehow got from the Air intake through to the Turbo-He thinks it happened last year when I had the Fuel Filter replaced at 20,000 miles. Pick up my RV on Friday and try to place all in the rear view mirror. "Happy Camping"
CaptDan

Tags
gas