Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Extended warranty

We are going to sign on the dotted line and pick up our new Solara on Saturday. Im trying to get the dealership to send me info on the extended warranty that im sure they are going to pitch. But i havent gotten anything yet. Which is better, in y'all's opinion, the one the dealership will offer or Good Sam's? Or do I just wait until Sat to decide? I've got the quote from Good Sams and it seems reasonable and covers most things. Thanks
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Have you checked to see if forest river offers an extended warranty for your unit ?
They may not but someone should know on here for sure .
IMO I would truly check around for prices on extended warranty other than the dealer .

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We are going to sign on the dotted line and pick up our new Solara on Saturday. Im trying to get the dealership to send me info on the extended warranty that im sure they are going to pitch. But i havent gotten anything yet. Which is better, in y'all's opinion, the one the dealership will offer or Good Sam's? Or do I just wait until Sat to decide? I've got the quote from Good Sams and it seems reasonable and covers most things. Thanks
Forest River gives you 1 year warranty. After that you only have the Ford warranty for the engine, transmission and drive train. See your owners manual or ask dealer before buying.

Save your money and don't buy any extended warranty. All it is is an insurance policy. It can be $2,000 and up. Put that money in a bank account and don't touch it until you are sure all is well.

Make sure you register all the appliances which have 1 year warranties.
Use the Solara a lot in the first year and if you have a bad appliance it will show up right away. Just before your first year is up make sure you get the dealer correct all problems.
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

Solera is Ford now?

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

It is on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I dont know if Forest River will offer an extended warranty, I just assumed they would because car dealerships do! Oh well, guess that is another lesson learned on the difference between a car and an RV! The good sams quote was a little over $1,600 for 4 full years, which includes tires and just $100 deductable. I didn't think that was bad.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Solera is Ford now?

I don't know I was guessing and was wrong.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

From what I have read on here, RV's have many more "quarks" to work out than cars, and we should expect to have several issues, so that is why I don't want to take a chance and not get an extended warranty. I am also going to purchase the roadside assistance from good sams. My husband is not "mechanically" inclined, and i have no clue either!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #8

Many of the appliances, AC, and other major components carry longer warranties with their respective manufacturers, typically 2 - 3 years. In a moment of weakness I took the 5 year warranty at the dealer to the tune of $1700. I later had buyer's remorse and cancelled it within the 60 day window. It's a gamble either way, but I believe the laws-of-averages say you will never get your money's worth.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #9

The MB warranty is longer than a year.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #10

We bought the warranty. First time I have ever but we bought it second hand with 4000 miles on it. Wife was scared. I usually fix everything anyway. But you do what you have to too keep her happy. LOL

Old 10-05-2012, 02:24 AM   #11

Didn't go for the warranty and no regrets so far.

Drivetrain on MB is 5 (or 7?) years or 100k miles. I'm sure it lasts much longer :-)

As said before - use it a lot and fix the things that are wring right away. No issues since then.

Warranty companies offer them to make money - guess from where this is coming from....

Reiner
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #12

Thanks for everyones input. And i think yall are right, we can wait a year to get the warranty. Looks like good sams will sell you one when the rig is "used". I'm not one who wants to waste money, but i dont have a problem with a company selling something to make money.