Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Finally have my Canadian 24R

Well after over a year of waiting and a number of missed delivery dates, I finally have my 24R built on a 2014 Canadian chassis. I was told it was the first Canadian unit off the line. It was just delivered early this week. It took FR a long time to make it happen but it finally all came together.

The unit looks great and we have our first tripped planned down to Florida and South Carolina over Christmas. I was originally planning on pulling a car along, but the unit is so maneuverable compared to the Georgetown we had. Drives a lot like a car.

I started the process of inspection and would like to know what are the common things to look for in terms of problems. I have already installed Max vent covers and I am planning to rebuild and enlarge some of the drawers. I design bathrooms for a living and I can not believe how much space is wasted inside these units.

Mike

Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Congratulations Mike, hope your as lucky with your 24R as we have been with our 24S, post some pic when you get the chance.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #3

Mike, just curious, what is the difference with a canadien MB chassis, and does the warranty finally cover you up there.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #4

I am not sure if there are any substantial differences between the two. There are of course some minor ones like daytime running lights, metric speedometer and there is a French language owners manual. This unit also has a CSA certification which probably means not much more than a Canadian company collecting a fee for a sticker to put on the side of the unit.

I was surprised to find only 4 seatbelts. My understanding is that Canadian vehicle specs for motorhomes require a seatbelt for every sleeping spot, which would mean six seatbelts not four.

The unit does of course also have a full Canadian warranty from Mercedes Canada. This adds several thousand dollars to the cost of the new unit, but is worth it if you run into problem on a northern highway.

I am currently doing a complete check of the unit. Normally we would do a short weekend outing close to home to "shake" down the unit but with winter here and ski season open that won't be possible. We are taking it on the road in a couple of weeks to the southern USA and would like to have a trouble free trip.

Does anyone know a link to an exhaustive PDI checklist on this forum?

Mike
Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Try this one....hope it helps

RV Inspection Checklist
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

Congrats! I hope you have as good luck with yours as we do with ours. We really didn't have too many start up problems, and nothing that we couldn't work around until we got it back to the dealer. At least that is my memory. Enjoy :-)
Old 12-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the checklist, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Mike
Old 12-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #8

One thing they left out of that extensive list. Time.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
GM

I heard your plight here in the office a few times, it's like you're famous. We told the dealer they were coming and he thought that meant soon, we simply meant we were working on it.

Glad to hear it finally worked out. My first one just shipped to Western Canada. Looking forward to them being in the January shows.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #10

Well, it is nice to finally have the unit here. Cannot tell you how many times we considered cancelling the order. It always seemed that the unit would ship in a month or two.

Finished the inspection and found only minor issues. Tested all the systems and everything works great. The stand for the BBQ seems much too large, is this normal?

I was surprised that the unit only had 4 seatbelts, I had expected 6.