Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
2012 Solera

Flip-up Countertop Extension

Could be a hazard! Mine fell off and just missed hammering my foot. Too convenient for someone to hold onto entering or leaving. anyway, its held on with 9 staples that penetrate about 1/8 inch through 1/2 plywood into the counter top. won't stay on long.
I'm using epoxy to bond the plywood. you may want to do something about yours.

I'm not complaining, just trying to help. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0958.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	17499  
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #2

Watch what type of plastic you are gluing the plywood to. If it's HDPE (high density polyethylene) you can't glue to it. Even if you are sure it's not, you might want to test the bond strength after it's set. You don't want to end being more upset than you are now....

I tried to glue some bare plywood to some factory finished plywood on the cabinets in our TT with PL400 construction adhesive. Would not stick at all. Almost seems like they must finish the plywood with silicone or teflon or something that nothing will stick to. I couldn't even get self-adhesive Velcro to glue to the same plywood. Makes no sense.

I made the flip-extension in our trailer and used through-bolts to attach the hinges to the cabinet sidewall, which I re-inforced also on the inside. You can almost jump on it.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #3

MyRedRacer, I am not positive but if you treat it with a chemical I think you can glue to it.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

Namchief, assuming you mean HDPE, that would be great if you could.

I went to a plastics shop and they said there is nothing for HDPE. They did say that they thought their *might* be a high-tech space age glue out there, possibly 3M, but I found nothing on the internet. They typically use HDPE for all sorts of containers since stuff (like solvents, gas, chemicals, food) doesn't stick to it or dissolve it.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Actually you can use 3M 5200 to glue HDPE. It works in the boating community quite well. Just be sure it has a good mating surface and the surface/material will actually support the load you will be placing on it. Through bolting and "sandwiching" the extention is the only way you can be reasonably sure it will stay where you intended. The finish put on the cabinetry is so slick most glues will not adhere. The surface needs to be lightly sanded first. A mechanical connection would be the safest bet.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Just a heads up...those countertops aren't plastic. The counters are out of a lightweight plywood material. The extension, I'm not 100%. Moisture resistant MDF I think.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Could be a hazard! Mine fell off and just missed hammering my foot. Too convenient for someone to hold onto entering or leaving. anyway, its held on with 9 staples that penetrate about 1/8 inch through 1/2 plywood into the counter top. won't stay on long.
I'm using epoxy to bond the plywood. you may want to do something about yours.

I'm not complaining, just trying to help. Good luck.
Well, I tried 5 min epoxy that seems to be holding. The extension is a mystery material?
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote