Old 08-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #11

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Transit is coming and in larger payloads at some point. I don't envision us having anything on a Transit for another 12-18 months and that is pure speculation at this point since we haven't seen the first chassis yet.
That's a shame. The wife retires shortly & we will soon be in the market for our first RV, a smaller, short class C.

Keep us posted on the latest F.R. thinking on the Transit chassis, will ya?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

Thor has two new MHs built on the Transit diesel. What are your thoughts on it now?

2016 Compass Motorhomes

2016 Gemini

Old 10-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
GM

I figured 12-18 months and that was back in April of 2014. So I think I was pretty darn close in my prediction. I'm sure you'll see others popping up shortly
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalseeker View Post
Comparing specs on the Sprinter vs. the Transit it appears the currently available Transit does come up short in terms of GVRW when compared to the Sprinter, but the Ford's 5 cylinder diesel puts out 350 ft/lbs of torque vs. 265 ft/lbs for the Sprinter. The Sprinter currently has a 30" longer wheelbase than Ford currently offers, too, but I could easily see Ford beefing up the suspension and stretching the wheelbase for the RV industry if the demand is there, particularly if Ford intends to replace the E-series with the Transit.
The Sprinter V6 has 325 ft/lbs, by the way. That 265 number is the 4 banger.

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #15
GM

The other issue is towing. Sprinters get beat up because they only tow 4,220 (figuring GCWR minus GVWR). Transit even less at this time.

However the Transit is more comparible to the Promaster anyway.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #16
Tinkerer and Putterer

One thing to keep in mind is that delivery vans do a lot of start / stop driving. These class C RVs do some long distance driving. While the loads are high on the engine, trans and rear differential the load on the brakes should be minimal when compared to a UPS delivery van.

Another item to consider is that the RV maintains its speed and loads so while the loads are high they are constant. Acceleration puts a lot more wear on parts than sustained driving. I wouldn't worry too much about the repair reports from fleet use when buying an RV unless you're planning to drive the RV in a city setting every day, all day. You will never put that kind of mileage or wear and tear on an RV or at least I wouldn't
Old 10-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhevoice View Post
Thor has two new MHs built on the Transit diesel. What are your thoughts on it now?

2016 Compass Motorhomes

2016 Gemini

They look pretty nice.
Lighter load and tow.
I hear the 5 cyl pulls good though.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #18

Not Just Cost, Inconsistent Quality of MB Service

I ran into a couple at an RV park who purchased a new '14 Solera. After running into several other Sprinter RV owners with similar and chronic issues with systems reliability, they were so intimidated that they traded in their new Solera for a 30 foot gas Class A. They were fortunate in being financially able to absorb the hit.

So far we love our '15 Solera. After a flaky routine service and documented overcharging (DEF tank was full when we brought it in ... they charged for 2 gallons ... entire engine compartment covered with white DEF residue when we got it back) I have grave concerns about their ability to meet their obligations on the 36 month drive train warranty. As Sprinter dealerships are widely dispersed, there is no competition.

What I find inexplicable is the lack of MB corporate concern over shabby dealership service. The correspondence below is MB USA, "head in the sand" attitude and their weasel word smithing. They need to be reminded of which part of their anatomy is sticking up in the air when they bury their head in the sand. I think the Ford based Class B will be their wake up call.

These are the actual responses from MB USA:

Dated Sept 12, 1015

Dear _____,

Thank you for your letter regarding your recent service experience.

Not being directly involved with the circumstances you have described, we trust you understand why we are not in the position to comment with specifics. Despite these limitations, we take your concerns seriously, and are sorry that you have been left with a negative impression of Mercedes-Benz of Seattle.

Mercedes-Benz dealers are independently owned and they are responsible for their own business operations. We have forwarded your email to the Service Manager at Mercedes-Benz of Seattle, who would be in the best position to review this matter.

We cannot overstate your importance to us as a customer, or our regret for any inconvenience you have experienced.

This opportunity to respond is appreciated.
Kind regards,

E_____
Mercedes-Benz USA
(800) 367-6372

Dated Sept 29, 2015

Dear _____,

Thank you for your additional email.

We regret your expressed frustration regarding your communication with Mercedes-Benz of Seattle and apologize for any inconvenience experienced.

Since Mercedes-Benz dealers are independent businesses, they are responsible for their own operations and Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC isn't directly involved in their retail sales transactions. Your feedback is valuable in gauging the achievements or shortcomings of this organization and our dealer network. We have shared your comments with the appropriate parties in this organization.

We recognize our apology will not negate the circumstances that prompted your correspondence, but extend it most sincerely.

Kind regards,

E_____

Mercedes-Benz USA (800) 367-6372

PS: As of today, have not heard back from the dealer .. no call .. no letter. This dealership is owned by a holding company, not a family as it was previously.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataHoarder View Post

PS: As of today, have not heard back from the dealer .. no call .. no letter. This dealership is owned by a holding company, not a family as it was previously.
This is a segment wide problem.
Many manufacturers dealerships are becoming corporate held.
I see it everyday on my job (insurance inspector).
The service "writers" are becoming like used car salesman.
If they don't upsell enough, they are in trouble.
Think used car salesman as a service writer.
When there is an issue- they point the finger at the "tech"...and visa versa.
I use the term "tech" very loosely. Many of the good ones get tired of the corporate nonsense and leave to independents or to start their own shop.

Don't think this is confined to Merc. I had an issue with my local Ford dealer recently. A customers XM Sat unit magically became "missing" when it was sent o them for a diagnosis. They charged for the diagnosis even though they claim the vehicle came in without the unit...and we have photos that shows it did. They denied our claim to replace it and held their ground.

Typical day in my world.
If I can't fix it myself or with a trusted person...I don't want it now in this day and age.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #20

There is a subtle difference ... Ford said "no" while Benz said "not our problem." My local Ford dealer didn't replace a valve stem cap after checking pressures during routine oil change. I never said a word to them, but, I mentioned it on a follow up customer service survey from Ford. They called to invite me to stop buy and they'll give me a replacement; in addition, for my trouble, they gave me my next oil change for free. We've had similar good service from less prestigious brands like Dodge, Chrysler and KIA.

My story could be atypical of Benz had I not read similar accounts from others here and on other forums.