Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Freeze Check After a Long Hard Winter

Ok, now that this severely cold winter is wrapping up, and we start to get our RV's ready for the coming season, can we report in this thread; How your RV's plumping system fared?

Reply, how you winterized, 1. Air blowout method, 2. antifreeze method, or 3. Other. And what the damage, if any, you incurred.

I am curious how we all held up this winter, seeing it was one for the record books, and surely will lend some useful data for all of us to use in the future.

Thanks.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Welcome to Forest River Forums....
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

Our winters here in central Texas are mild as compared to what some parts of the country have experienced tho ours was colder than "normal"this year. When I needed to winterize I blow out the lines, drain the water heater and tanks and add the antifreeze to the traps. This year we were lucky and spent January in So. Florida. Normally I winterize 3 or 4 times a season as we camp year round as the urge hits us. Had to winterize when we returned to Texas in February. If I lived in the North the entire plumbing system would get the pink stuff not using the RV till the snow melted or just head south, we are Retired.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

3. Other=Both. Blew the system out, drained HWH, bypassed HWH, flushed with antifreeze. My system was still under pressure when I traded it in.

Antifreeze protects the low points and inside the faucets, I blow it out with air to make the antifreeze process easier.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Still Kickin

What kind of RV do you have? I have a Solera 24S I do a drain followed by a blow out then fill with anti-freeze. Of course I close the WH by pass the remove the water filter. I just de winterized my rig, flushed the system with water then because of the continued cold weather I blew the lines out with air and dumped the traps on the sinks.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

Our winter was the typical long and cold.
There were some -30's celcius.
Not sure that would make much of a difference once it hits -10/-20c.

In a few more weeks I'm about to find out how my winterizeing faired.

First I by-pass and drain the HW tank first.

I usually run 4 gallons RV anitfreeze through the system. I know thats more than needed but for the additional $5/$10 I'm running it through.

Once all the antifreeze has gone through I open the low point drains, open all the taps, just to make sure there is no presssure in the line and then I open all the tank valves. I have a pail to catch all the draining.

Then I spend the rest of the winter thinking..........did I do the.....

John

Oh yes, Welcome Still Kickin.
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #7

I think we understand the process of winterization, the point of this thread is to get some feed back on what, if any, damage was incurred, from the method used in winterization. The purpose is to try and determine which method, due to the severe cold winter, worked the best.

I belive that the extreme cold temperatures expierenced, lends itself to getting data we can all use in the future.

This is not meant to reply back which method, or how you went about winterization but rather, which method and what was the outcome after getting it ready for the upcoming season.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Thanks, guys. I'm trying to get my equipment in under my user name. 2012 Solera S
Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

Well, correct that, Yes the method is important too. But I think knowing if one seems to be better than the other, taking into account methods (proper procedure) is important to reply back as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Chicago/Chiberia.... Used the blow out method. Started blowing farthest from the air inlet up to the outside flush station. Pulled the zinc plug from the water heater, just left it open there. Oh by the way most refer to a hot water heater? Do they make a cold water heater? Removed the factory water filter and bowl assembly, just left it open there too. Put antifreeze in the drain tanks/S-Traps. Even pulled it to the repair shop three times this winter -15F. Filled her up and turned on this week. Absolutely no problems. Thank you Lord...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

For my 24R I left the heat pump system set to 60, opened all the cabinet doors where plumbing is located including filter access and drain valve access in the basement. No problems!. I do live in north Florida where we only had a few below freezing days.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

I do the antifreeze pumped through the whole trailer after I remove the filter cartridge and then pour some down each drain, also drained the HW heater. Winter was typical here down to abt -39 just seemed to last longer and as usual nothing broke or got out of sorts.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #13

The lite came with the A/F install kit so I went that route.

Do to "unsettled weather" I have not ran water thru the system to check for leaks.

Saw a low of 28 and heard of some snow in the valley but I did not see it myself.

More rain is called for this weekend So doing any work on the trailer will have to wait, I dislike working in the rain.

So much to do yet, with so little time left to do it in....
Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #14

Just wondering what we expierenced from the last post a month ago.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #15

We had a b**** of a winter and our spring is non-existent. temps still dipping into the low 30's at night. Lakes in northern Wisconsin still have ice on them! Hopefully we'll turn the corner soon.

In answer to your question - we used the blow-out method and I de-winterized about a week ago. No leaks, and everything appears to be working fine. We've used this method for 3 years now and haven't had any problems. Our first camping trip is in 6 days. Can't wait to sit in front of a roaring campfire and snuggle in my nice warm comfy bed afterwards!!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #16

I de winterize about the 1st of April as I had a trip in mid April. I took out the on board water filter and replaced it with a 4" copper pipe. The first trip I suddenly realized that I hadn't tighten it down enough and it was spraying water every where. Had to wait to get home to fix it, fortunately it was just an over night trip and the CG rest room was close by. Live and learn as they say, any case we're getting set for a trip to New England this summer just have to wait for school the let out. Happy camping everyone.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
2012 Solera 24S

Blow out then fill with antifreeze, no problems here.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #18

Black Water Cleaner 24R

Just spent $240 to fix my tank cleaner because I did not winterize it last November. Not sure why but there is some stuff between the hose fitting and the tank in the wall and between the floor and bottom of the MH. When I went to use it this spring I had water coming out on the floor and running out the bottom of the unit. I used the pink stuff with an empty pop bottle in the filter housing. This fall the blue hose will get hooked up to the cleaner fitting too!
3886john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter