Old 08-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Fridge on 110

Is it my understanding the dometic fridge will work on 110 volt at home to cool off prior to travel? Should batteries be on? Want to save my LP if possible. Thanks

Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #2

Batteries on or off. Either way no problem!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #3

See how simple that was, much obliged!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

I do it all the time (in fact it's in the driveway keeping my weekend's food cold now). I've traveled up to 5 hours with the power shutoff (I never use Propane to run the fridge when I'm driving), and never had a problem.

When I have the camper plugged in at home, I can't run the air conditioner and the fridge at the same time, but otherwise it works great. You may want to experiment if your house breaker can support everything turned on at once so you don't get surprised with a warm fridge and make adjustments as needed.

2 Kids
sequoiaguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

The fridge will run on 110, but the buttons at the top are 12v. You will need a good 12 power source hooked up to it no matter what mode you use and the control board is 12 VDC. This means that your batts may not be hooked up, but your converter will be putting 12v juice into it a all times. I would say that it would be best to hook up your batts and 'charge' them (trickle charge) them while you have the fridge on. When the batts are fully charge the converter will slow to a mim and the fridge will draw a lesser amount of power from the converter as it will have the batts. With no batts, the 110v will go to the converter and change over to 12v and the converter will always (imo) be too 'hot'.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiaguy21 View Post
I do it all the time (in fact it's in the driveway keeping my weekend's food cold now). I've traveled up to 5 hours with the power shutoff (I never use Propane to run the fridge when I'm driving), and never had a problem.

When I have the camper plugged in at home, I can't run the air conditioner and the fridge at the same time, but otherwise it works great. You may want to experiment if your house breaker can support everything turned on at once so you don't get surprised with a warm fridge and make adjustments as needed.
1) Do not experiment on how much 'load' that your breakers can hold. Your camper comes with a 30/ or 50 amp plug. Many people will use a reducer and on the end and end up using a 15/20 amp exstention cord to a 15/20 amp breaker. You can easily heat up this cord and cause a fire/melting/short. The lower amperage in the camper if you try to hit the AC (need a big jump of amp to get going) can mess with the electronics and cause hard starts which is not good for the AC unit.
A) If you only have a house plugin that you use with your camper, never turn on the AC.
B) Have a good electrical person wire in a dedicated 30/50 amp plug that is only for your camper and make sure that your House electrical box can handle the load and install a 30/50 amp breaker for it.

2) Why do you not use propane when running down the road? Tens of thousands of campers have been doing that for years (me 25 years). It (imo) is safer that overloading a home breaker.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

1) Very good point about the load and the A/C. I never really thought about that, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing out a pretty dumb mistake on my part.

2) Regarding the propane -- I didn't tell him not to, I just don't. I've never needed to - the fridge keeps things plenty cold for at least 5 hours.

2 Kids
sequoiaguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiaguy21 View Post
1) Very good point about the load and the A/C. I never really thought about that, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing out a pretty dumb mistake on my part.

2) Regarding the propane -- I didn't tell him not to, I just don't. I've never needed to - the fridge keeps things plenty cold for at least 5 hours.

1) We are all trying to help each other and we (I hope) mean well.

A proverb goes: 'we are all correct in our own minds until another comes along and points out our errors'.

I am always grateful (and sometimes red faced) when someone points out my errors.

2) I am not judging at all on the propane and driving issue. We make many a long trip with days on the road and hundreds of miles each day. Our food would be bad if we did not have the gas on.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #9

All good info. This Class C only has a 9/10 tank and I wasn't sure how much the fridge would drain, therefore wanting to save lp for cooking, etc and not worrying about running out.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
All good info. This Class C only has a 9/10 tank and I wasn't sure how much the fridge would drain, therefore wanting to save lp for cooking, etc and not worrying about running out.

very very little. It is basically a pilot light.