Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #1

Front End Alignment

After a recent 3,000 trip, I noticed that the front tires on my 2010 Solera were badly worn on the outside edges. With only 14,000 miles on the mh, I was surprised at the unusual wear. I took it to Alignments Plus in San Marcos, CA - it's hard to find alignment shops that do motorhomes. I couldn't find an RV dealer in San Diego that did alignments. Weird. Anyway, Alignments Plus took care of it. They said they see this all the time with Class C rigs. They think that the alignment is originally done by Freightliner/Sprinter. But after the "house" is installed on the chasis, the mh manufacturer does not do an alignment before delivery. So the extra weight that is added throws off the alignment. Anyone have a similar experience? I guess my advice to new Solera owners would be to insist on a front end alignment by the dealer before taking delivery.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Drats... wish you had posted this 7 weeks ago (before I took delivery on my Solera)!!! Thanks for the post - it'll be something I'll be aware of now and I'll be watching the wear pattern on my front tires!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlton46 View Post
After a recent 3,000 trip, I noticed that the front tires on my 2010 Solera were badly worn on the outside edges. With only 14,000 miles on the mh, I was surprised at the unusual wear. I took it to Alignments Plus in San Marcos, CA - it's hard to find alignment shops that do motorhomes. I couldn't find an RV dealer in San Diego that did alignments. Weird. Anyway, Alignments Plus took care of it. They said they see this all the time with Class C rigs. They think that the alignment is originally done by Freightliner/Sprinter. But after the "house" is installed on the chasis, the mh manufacturer does not do an alignment before delivery. So the extra weight that is added throws off the alignment. Anyone have a similar experience? I guess my advice to new Solera owners would be to insist on a front end alignment by the dealer before taking delivery.
Sorry for your issue .....
This is well known that they are aligned from the factory but not re-aligned after forest river is done with it .
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

We had the same issue on our 2011 Solera. We did find a Mercedes dealer that is selling Sprinters that can handle an RV sized Sprinter. Not all of the Mercedes dealers selling a Sprinter have the setup to do this work as I learned along the way.

I tried independent ones but none did have the specs fir the updated 2010 Chassis.....

Reiner
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5

I have not picked my new 24r up yet. Are RV dealers capable of front end alignment?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solera blazer View Post
I have not picked my new 24r up yet. Are RV dealers capable of front end alignment?
Its doubtful...... call them and ask !

TURBS
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

Wow, another thing to worry about :-(
Old 03-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #8

I will call and ask. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
2012 Solera

2012 Solera "S" with 10,000+ miles on it - tires look like new - no abnormal wear patterns.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Wow, another thing to worry about :-(
Not to be concerned about, take a cell phone pick of the treads from the front every thousand miles, compare the progressing photos to the orig.
Easy to pick up abnormal wear that way. Don't leave to memory!