Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Fuel Filter Solera

Anyone change their own fuel filter on their Solera. Estimate at the Mercedes dealer was $318. Sounds kind of rich to me. But on the other hand $200 for a oil change sounds high also.
I also have developed a oil leak and found out it is the power steering hose. The dealership said that has been a issue on the sprinters for a while. Need to replace the hose and flush the power steering and go back with a full synthetic power steering fluid also. Of course that’s another $250.
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #2

I think some folks have done their own fuel filter changes. My recollection is that you need to be very careful with the process because there's a gizmo that can be sucked into the turbocharger if things aren't reassembled correctly.

I also think you may be getting overcharged. For peace of mind, I decided to have my local dealer do the fuel filter and an oil change and, as I recall, a few other minor things. The whole price came out under $500, tax included...

Dave
Old 04-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

That's about right for fuel filter, fuel filter change and oil change together was a little under $500. I let them do my first fuel filter to learn what to order next time when I do it myself. I will be out of emissions warranty by that time. The problem is that there are 4 different fuel filter choices that were used in assembly. That count includes the water sensor used and whether it is integrated. Even Mercedes needs to visually confirm the choice at time of replacement. I have the part numbers for my vin and build now from the receipt. I'm sure you could do the change but you may need to be ready to bring the filter back if not a match once you take the current one out.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

I was quoted $358 at the MB dealer last week for a fuel filter change. I declined the offer.
I had a local "Sprinter certified" shop do my last fuel filter change (on my prior rig that I just sold, change was about 2 months ago) for $175.
Keep in mind that the fuel filter is not just a simple cartridge: it has electronics associated with it. The filter alone costs in excess of $100.
I opted to have a "certified" shop do it for me last time since there have been issues with the O-ring getting sucked into the turbo if not properly installed. Besides, it is a rather intensive maintenance procedure that, at least from the experience with my local certified service center, makes more sense to have them do for me.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

Here is a detailed video on changing the sprinter fuel filter. Hope it helps.
https://youtu.be/2gebKsi5x-U
Old 04-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #6

Thanks , it looks like something I might tackle.
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckirby50 View Post
Thanks , it looks like something I might tackle.
I changed mine myself. I did follow the MB procedure and replaced the compensation seal at the same time. Very easy job to accomplish, but caution must be used to ensure you get the seal in the duct correctly prior to slipping the duct on the turbo. Seal was $42.00 from MB. Five pin fuel filter was $69.00 online. The filter is all one piece with the heater included.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #8

How often does the fuel filter need changing?

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
2012 Solera

On our 2012, every 20,000 miles.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

Ok thanks.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, solera