Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Fuel gauge accuracy

I have my Solera now for just over one year and 14000miles on it - and I just saw it carries 26 gallons of fuel.

As far as I remember I never filled up more then 19gal of fuel...normally when I see 3bars on the gauge I start looking for a station and end up with 2, very rarely with 1 bar and that's when the low light comes on.
But that would mean I still have something like 6 -7 gal left, about 80 miles??????
Does anybody have any experience with the fuel low light coming on how long you theoretically can go? What was the max distance you drove with the light on?

Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

I have had the low fuel light come on, surprised me that I still had about 5 gallons left in the tank when I filled up. It is nice to know that there is a reserve there just in case you over look the fuel gauge at the last gas station you passed.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

I've heard that you should be able to drive XX? 50? miles after the needle hits E.
Anyone else hear that?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
I have my Solera now for just over one year and 14000miles on it - and I just saw it carries 26 gallons of fuel.

As far as I remember I never filled up more then 19gal of fuel...normally when I see 3bars on the gauge I start looking for a station and end up with 2, very rarely with 1 bar and that's when the low light comes on.
But that would mean I still have something like 6 -7 gal left, about 80 miles??????
Does anybody have any experience with the fuel low light coming on how long you theoretically can go? What was the max distance you drove with the light on?
Remember with any fuel tank there is a vent space at the top of the tank and the emergency reserve at the bottom. Running any closer than the "yellow light" is really skirting with disaster, especially with a diesel engine. Very expensive to get the air out of the injectors, filters and tubing. Usually requires a mechanic to purge the fuel system after running out of fuel. 3 bars is a good thing!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
2012 Solera

X3. Light came on, took about 20 gallons as I remember. Five or six gallons left in tank.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
. Very expensive to get the air out of the injectors, filters and tubing. Usually requires a mechanic to purge the fuel system after running out of fuel. 3 bars is a good thing!
I doubt it .....but do not want to find out!
I friend of mine working as an engineer at the MB Stuttgart plant told me its no problem anymore if you run out of fuel....get a 5gal can, fill up and off you go...
Even in the manual it describes what to do after flameout...according to my friend its even easier.

I am pretty sure with that many RVs with the MB engine there must be one with actual experience! Please speak up!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

the last 3 fills I have added 22.X gallons of fuel. The tank is 26 gallons. The low fuel light was on for 25+ miles and the last bar was blinking. Does this last bar go away or stop blinking? since I still have 3.x gallons of fuel remaining?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #8

Just remember propane tanks leave 20% for vapor space. Thinking gasoline and diesel tanks also leave "vent space" .
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

Here is a prior discussion on fuel capacity. Fuel gauge reading
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Just remember propane tanks leave 20% for vapor space. Thinking gasoline and diesel tanks also leave "vent space" .
That is THE Question! Do we have 26 gallons or is it similar to the propane tank?