Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

Fuel gauge accuracy

I have my Solera now for just over one year and 14000miles on it - and I just saw it carries 26 gallons of fuel.

As far as I remember I never filled up more then 19gal of fuel...normally when I see 3bars on the gauge I start looking for a station and end up with 2, very rarely with 1 bar and that's when the low light comes on.
But that would mean I still have something like 6 -7 gal left, about 80 miles??????
Does anybody have any experience with the fuel low light coming on how long you theoretically can go? What was the max distance you drove with the light on?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

I have had the low fuel light come on, surprised me that I still had about 5 gallons left in the tank when I filled up. It is nice to know that there is a reserve there just in case you over look the fuel gauge at the last gas station you passed.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

I've heard that you should be able to drive XX? 50? miles after the needle hits E.
Anyone else hear that?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
I have my Solera now for just over one year and 14000miles on it - and I just saw it carries 26 gallons of fuel.

As far as I remember I never filled up more then 19gal of fuel...normally when I see 3bars on the gauge I start looking for a station and end up with 2, very rarely with 1 bar and that's when the low light comes on.
But that would mean I still have something like 6 -7 gal left, about 80 miles??????
Does anybody have any experience with the fuel low light coming on how long you theoretically can go? What was the max distance you drove with the light on?
Remember with any fuel tank there is a vent space at the top of the tank and the emergency reserve at the bottom. Running any closer than the "yellow light" is really skirting with disaster, especially with a diesel engine. Very expensive to get the air out of the injectors, filters and tubing. Usually requires a mechanic to purge the fuel system after running out of fuel. 3 bars is a good thing!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
2012 Solera

X3. Light came on, took about 20 gallons as I remember. Five or six gallons left in tank.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
. Very expensive to get the air out of the injectors, filters and tubing. Usually requires a mechanic to purge the fuel system after running out of fuel. 3 bars is a good thing!
I doubt it .....but do not want to find out!
I friend of mine working as an engineer at the MB Stuttgart plant told me its no problem anymore if you run out of fuel....get a 5gal can, fill up and off you go...
Even in the manual it describes what to do after flameout...according to my friend its even easier.

I am pretty sure with that many RVs with the MB engine there must be one with actual experience! Please speak up!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

the last 3 fills I have added 22.X gallons of fuel. The tank is 26 gallons. The low fuel light was on for 25+ miles and the last bar was blinking. Does this last bar go away or stop blinking? since I still have 3.x gallons of fuel remaining?
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

Just remember propane tanks leave 20% for vapor space. Thinking gasoline and diesel tanks also leave "vent space" .
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #9

Here is a prior discussion on fuel capacity. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-29478.html
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Just remember propane tanks leave 20% for vapor space. Thinking gasoline and diesel tanks also leave "vent space" .
That is THE Question! Do we have 26 gallons or is it similar to the propane tank?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #11

So has anyone filled more than 22.3 gallons, that is my max fill. Does the fuel gauge stop blinking??
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

We're not trying to do a Jack Ward (judge) in the movie, In justice for all, are we. Seriously, at 0, tank gauge reading, the little gas pump begins to flash soon after.
I know some might think its similiar to running a gas motor out of fuel, but if you read up, there are more things going on in a diesel, so all I read says don't run it out. The fuel delivery system is under much greater pressures, than a gas fuel system.

MB says 26.4 gal capacity. That x the Avg. Mpg =total distance per full tank.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Robert Mayberry

Fuel Gauge Accuracy

Tank holds 26 gallons.

When the last bar goes off and the fuel warning light goes on, you have 5 or 6 gallons left.

I pushed it too far once and ran out of fuel after about 80 miles after the last bar went off and the fuel warning light went on.

The engine started again after I added some fuel. No mechanic necessary. No need to bleed lines or injectors.

Bob
24 S Solera 2011
San Francisco
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #14

Great info thank you! I knew there must be somebody who has done it - pretty sure more then one. So no panic when the light goes on and 20 miles to the next station..
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmayberry View Post
Tank holds 26 gallons.

When the last bar goes off and the fuel warning light goes on, you have 5 or 6 gallons left.

I pushed it too far once and ran out of fuel after about 80 miles after the last bar went off and the fuel warning light went on.

The engine started again after I added some fuel. No mechanic necessary. No need to bleed lines or injectors.

Bob
24 S Solera 2011
San Francisco
So how far did you walk for that Camel??
Old 12-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #16

Not a good feeling when in a new area and that light starts flashing

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #17
'79 Bonneville

empty?

I agree with the comments so far - you will probably have plenty of fuel when the last bar is reached. We were on a secondary road in Texas last year when all the bars were gone we ended up stopping at a boat yard knowing they would have diesel for the boats but it was off-road and they wouldn't sell to us. They did give us directions to a convenience store some distance away which did not have a sign out front indicating diesel but they did have it and the amount put in was still about a gallon less than the tank capacity.

It is standard practice for fuel gauges to have enough left at "empty" to stop at the next convenient station rather than go out of your way.

I did buy a 1935 Chevy once and driving it home after purchasing it the needle touched the E mark and the engine immediately died when I was on an interstate. I put it in neutral and coasted off an upcoming exit ramp which had a gas station convenient to it and without touching the brakes coasted to a stop right next to a gas pump. I always filled up when it got to 1/4 full after that. I assumed the previous owner never let it get to the E mark. I made sure the guy who bought it from me years later knew about it.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote