Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Stay Classy San Diego

Unhappy Furnace Woes

Yesterday I tried to run the furnace in my Solera 24M, and it would not kick on. It's a Suburban. I know it worked when we did the PDI, but I can't remember if I've used it since. I think so but...

The propane tank is 1/3 full. The stove works no problem. I can hear it make a high pitched sort of whine, but no 'whoosh'. On a good note, I finally figured out that you can turn the fan from the Hi/Low setting to Aux so it doesn't run all the time. Yay!

Could there be a blown fuse or something? I should just be able to turn the thermostat to heat and the desired temp and it should just come on, right? It was in the 30's here yesterday so it was cold enough! Oh, and it's plugged in. I tried it with the generator too and nothing.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Hi Merry - It should come on with the thermostat. A few thoughts -
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Oops - somehow posted reply prematurely -

Thoughts -
-Is the main switch (in the stairwell) "on"?
-CO/Propane detector "happy" (Solid green light - also in the stairwell)?
-House Battery okay (check the charge level on the panel)?
-You said the thermostat is set to "heat", "auto" fan, and to a reasonable temp. That sounds right to me.

On my unit, the furnace first starts a fan - I think to vent the burner area to the outside. This fan runs for a while - suspect to ensure no residual propane in the area - before it attempts to light the burner. I was surprized how long this delay is on my unit - I remember a minute or more. Is it possible you aborted during this (long) delay?
After the delay my unit lights the burner. Then another delay before a second blower starts blowing heat into the RV via the lower vents.

Good luck. By the way, did you get your outside shower working?

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

As you are from the San Diego area (as I am) the first time I tried to test the furnace the ambient temperature inside the RV was above the highest temperature settable on the furnace (90 degrees I think) - so it wouldn't come on. At first I thought it was malfuctioning ... but then I had a "duh" moment.
:-)
socalron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Yesterday I tried to run the furnace in my Solera 24M, and it would not kick on. It's a Suburban. I know it worked when we did the PDI, but I can't remember if I've used it since. I think so but...

The propane tank is 1/3 full. The stove works no problem. I can hear it make a high pitched sort of whine, but no 'whoosh'. On a good note, I finally figured out that you can turn the fan from the Hi/Low setting to Aux so it doesn't run all the time. Yay!

Could there be a blown fuse or something? I should just be able to turn the thermostat to heat and the desired temp and it should just come on, right? It was in the 30's here yesterday so it was cold enough! Oh, and it's plugged in. I tried it with the generator too and nothing.

Thanks for your help!
Yes there is an 15 amp fuse in the panel with all the 12VDC fuses marked furnace, by itself. You should hear a soft whirr when the combustion fan starts, its job is to circulate the air, purge the furnace and prove on start up its running by closing a "sail" switch. That permit the gas valve and ignitor to work and starts producing warm air. Not sure what you heard whine, the A/C circ fan or the furnace. Now you know that the comb fan will start and operate maybe 20 seconds, if no combusion it will trip out. If fuse is good and fan runs only for a moment, I'd try at least a few cycles to make sure gas is reaching the furnace having not been used. Otherwise could be bad sail switch or circuit board causing your problem.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Stay Classy San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Oops - somehow posted reply prematurely -

Thoughts -
-Is the main switch (in the stairwell) "on"?
-CO/Propane detector "happy" (Solid green light - also in the stairwell)?
-House Battery okay (check the charge level on the panel)?
-You said the thermostat is set to "heat", "auto" fan, and to a reasonable temp. That sounds right to me.

On my unit, the furnace first starts a fan - I think to vent the burner area to the outside. This fan runs for a while - suspect to ensure no residual propane in the area - before it attempts to light the burner. I was surprized how long this delay is on my unit - I remember a minute or more. Is it possible you aborted during this (long) delay?
After the delay my unit lights the burner. Then another delay before a second blower starts blowing heat into the RV via the lower vents.

Good luck. By the way, did you get your outside shower working?

Regards,

Jim
I bet I didn't wait long enough. I waited maybe 30 seconds, then got nervous and shut it down. I'll go out right now and try it again. And no, we sort of gave up on the outside shower since we knew we'd be winterizing. We'll concentrate on it next month when we get to Florida and de-winterize. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalron View Post
As you are from the San Diego area (as I am) the first time I tried to test the furnace the ambient temperature inside the RV was above the highest temperature settable on the furnace (90 degrees I think) - so it wouldn't come on. At first I thought it was malfuctioning ... but then I had a "duh" moment.
:-)
Ha oops! I'm not from San Diego (WNY) but Anchorman is one of my all time favorite movies. Visiting your beautiful city is on my list! Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Yes there is an 15 amp fuse in the panel with all the 12VDC fuses marked furnace, by itself. You should hear a soft whirr when the combustion fan starts, its job is to circulate the air, purge the furnace and prove on start up its running by closing a "sail" switch. That permit the gas valve and ignitor to work and starts producing warm air. Not sure what you heard whine, the A/C circ fan or the furnace. Now you know that the comb fan will start and operate maybe 20 seconds, if no combusion it will trip out. If fuse is good and fan runs only for a moment, I'd try at least a few cycles to make sure gas is reaching the furnace having not been used. Otherwise could be bad sail switch or circuit board causing your problem.
I'm going outside right now to try it again...I'll check the fuse and make sure it's good. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Stay Classy San Diego

Well no luck getting it to kick on. I haven't driven it in almost a month so I took it for a nice Sunday ride and put 50 miles on. I thought maybe that would help but still nothing. I'll work on it again today
Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry
Well no luck getting it to kick on. I haven't driven it in almost a month so I took it for a nice Sunday ride and put 50 miles on. I thought maybe that would help but still nothing. I'll work on it again today
Since this is a propane appliance I woundn't go beyond your comfort zone but still relay here what you see and hear when attemting to start. Since your unit has been outside and not fired for awhile, good chance a nest has been built inside the furnace tube. Compressed air in both openings is best, short of that a piece of insulated wire can be used to dislodge anythimg. It's happened to me and others. Mine was straw out of sight at first. Obsrurction can prevent airflow needed for purgel and lightoff.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
2012 Solera

Disappointing. Hopefully something easy such as VinceU has suggested. A note - to winterize you will need to get the outside shower flowing - need to blow the water out of it or run RV antifreeze through it.
Good luck -
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Stay Classy San Diego

My husband has an air compressor, so I will have him use it on both the furnace vents and the outside shower. Hopefully he can find time tomorrow. I bet that does the trick!
Thanks again
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #11

I have a new 24S Solera. When we took it out on our first campout the heater did not come on. (below 40 degrees F, so we heated a bit with the stove!) The fan came on but the heat never kicked in although the furnace worked when we first tried it at home. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed a new part - I believe they said furnace switch. At any rate, this was a dealer repair.
Good Luck, Steve
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #12

Mine didn't work the first time we needed it as well and used the stove. My dealer replaced the limit switch which is in series with the sail switch I believe.

It's very possible there's air in the gas line as well.

The order of operation is:

- Thermostat on
- Relay click , Blower motor starts
- Sail switch closes
- Gas valve opens (audible click)
- Ignition (audible clicking)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #13

Furnace not working

We had the same experience. took delivery on used 2011 Solera. Furnace worked great at checkout.

Got it home and tried again a few days later. No Go.

Back to dealer who replaced the "Dinosaur Furnace Board"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater invocie.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	21562  
cousin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Stay Classy San Diego

Mystery Solved!

Took it to the dealer today. A wire had come loose from the board. Although it sounds like an easy fix, they had to take the stove out to reach it. The Buffalo location of RV Direct is really wonderful to work with. They go above and beyond.
It's nice and toasty now
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Took it to the dealer today. A wire had come loose from the board. Although it sounds like an easy fix, they had to take the stove out to reach it. The Buffalo location of RV Direct is really wonderful to work with. They go above and beyond.
It's nice and toasty now
Sounds great, thats true troubleshooting! How long did it take?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
Stay Classy San Diego

I think I was there maybe 2 hours? I looked at the new units and time went by fast.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #17

Glad you got it fixed. We took ours in for a few minor fixes this past week, all is well now. I sure wish the holidays werent so busy - can't wait till we can take it out for a couple of days! We tailgated with it last weekend at the LSU game, fun! But couldnt stay overnight because we left the dogs home, and had too many people with us. We havent tried the heat yet, and with our weather, it maybe a long time before we do!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote