Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Generater

I'm new to the motorhome with a built in generator but I was thinking about using my Honda 2000 inverter instead of my onboard
It runs everything but air and all day on a gal of gas and can locate away from coach and is small
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #2

It's not a bad idea. We carry a back up just in case. Don't know what you have for an onboard but they can be pricey to fix. I see no problem with saving it for the days you really need it. Just remember you still need to run it with some kind of load about every 2 weeks or so. They need exercised and the fuel will gum up in the carb.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
It's not a bad idea. We carry a back up just in case. Don't know what you have for an onboard but they can be pricey to fix. I see no problem with saving it for the days you really need it. Just remember you still need to run it with some kind of load about every 2 weeks or so. They need exercised and the fuel will gum up in the carb.
When you say run with a load every 2 weeks are your referring to the on-board genny on the Honda 2000?

I have had my Honda 2000 since April 2005. I only use it when we go camping. I run it for an hour each day to charge the batteries in my TT.

I used to use Stabil.

I use to let the gas run out.

Now I do neither.

I have never had a problem. It still starts on the second pull.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #4

I was referring to your onboard generator in the RV.

Some people go about a month in between starting theirs, but the first time I did that I ended up having carburetor problems. I keep a 1500 W electric heater in the camper to use as a load. I run it for about 10 minutes, that seems to be Long enough to burn up the older gas in the carb and the fuel line. I've gone four years now without any issues so I just continue to use this method.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
I was referring to your onboard generator in the RV.

Some people go about a month in between starting theirs, but the first time I did that I ended up having carburetor problems. I keep a 1500 W electric heater in the camper to use as a load. I run it for about 10 minutes, that seems to be Long enough to burn up the older gas in the carb and the fuel line. I've gone four years now without any issues so I just continue to use this method.
The next assumption is that you are referring to propane.

I'm new here. The 24R is on order. Standard generator is propane. Diesel is an option. I have the standard.

My earlier post about my Honda 2000 was for gasoline.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

If you have a gasoline generator, you need to run it once a month to keep the fuel from gumming up the carb. I have had that issue and it's not cheap to fix.

Now, if you can get what power you need from the Honda and the fuel useage is really that low, by all means, use it. My 5500 watt unit burns 0.6 gals per hour from the MH fuel tank and, unless I need A/C, I seldom put much strain on it.

By the way, I always use Stabil in my MH, my car that sits while we winter in FL, my genny in the shop and any spare gas I leave behind over the winter.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

Honda 2000 really is thrifty, and the onboard gen is propane. It just seems like I could use the Honda to charge batteries and other minor uses
And save the propane for the refer,cooking and a hot shower or two. Of course just whenever we dry camp
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

Sorry, my bad! I was assuming your onboard was gasoline.

But as far as using the Honda goes, I completely agree with you. Unless you need to run the air there is no reason why you couldn't use it as your main power source.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #9

I had not thought about it until now, but it makes some sense to use the Honda, seeing as I already own it. It may not make sense to go buy one, but for me it is a sunk cost already.

Time will tell on the 24R, but for my previous TT I ran the Honda for 45 minutes each morning to top off the pair of Interstate RV/Marine Deep Cycle batteries. That consumed about a pint of gasoline.

We almost always have the 2 ATVs and 2 or more motorcycles with us, so I already have a fuel source for the Honda.

I have not heard the noise level of the on-board generator, but my guess is that the Honda 2000, especially in eco mode, is quieter.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #10

When operating sensitive expensive electronics equipment, which is a cleaner power source, a Honda inverter or the on-board Onan?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #11

I don't really see the savings carrying a generator when you have one built in. You have to store it and a gas can somewhere - space that can be used for other things to make your travels more fun. LP is cheap, cheap, cheap! So if you want to carry extra hardware, get yourself a couple of lightweight FRP LP bottles. Since you are paying for the built it genset, and paying to lug around the weight, use the heck out of it and get your money's worth.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #12

I will say when I went looking for a toy hauler a on board Onan was a must for me because we boondock camp almost 99% of our trips. And when I seen the price for it I was shocked but it has been more than worth it's weight in gold.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #13

One of my points is the sound level of the Honda generator versus the onboard generator.

Can two people stand next to the onboard generator and have a conversation using the same voice level that they would use if the generator were off? If not, then the Honda has a modest value because it is quiet.

My Honda 2000 will lower the idle speed when the load is very low. This reduces gas consumption. The only thing I have ever used my Honda for was to charge a pair of 12 volt batteries. This only requires the lowest idle level that the Honda generator has.

I run the generator every morning for an hour. This requires 1 pint of gasoline to recharge the batteries after a days use. I carry 15 gallons of gasoline for the ATVs, so I do not need to carry any extra gas for the Honda generator.

Wasting exterior storage space was mentioned. The Honda generator is about 2 cubic feet. My 24R has 75 cubic feet of exterior storage. I think I will be able to find room for it if I want to take it along.

Weight is not a factor. I can carry two at a time, one in each hand.

I think it would be silly to purchase a Honda generator to go with my 24R, but I already have it.

I'll figure it out next season.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #14

The onboard gen is pretty loud even while your in coach. That is one of the reasons to bring my Honda and locate it away from the coach for battery chArging and morning cup of java using our keurig. The gen is located right under the awning and the Honda could be plugged in on the opposite side of the coach away from where we hang out
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
The onboard gen is pretty loud even while your in coach. That is one of the reasons to bring my Honda and locate it away from the coach for battery chArging and morning cup of java using our keurig. The gen is located right under the awning and the Honda could be plugged in on the opposite side of the coach away from where we hang out
That is what I wanted to know. Thanks