Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We're working again on the Onan. They are back into production from what I understand, but not full production.

We're working on either that or doubling the LP tank...hopefully both.
Brian,

Thats great news, I hope it works. That is what I would be waiting for.

Thanks for the info.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #22

Diesel -VS- Gas or Propane Generator:

Diesel con: Much higher initial cost

Diesel Pro: Longer lifespan, far lower fuel consumption and Onan Quietdiesel line is often quieter than a gas generator.

As a note, I ran a 7.5Kw Onan Quietdiesel over 10,000Hours without any major repairs and even at those incredible hours I never needed to add oil between changes(250hrs on Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic)(recommended interval was around 50-100 hours?)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #23

Diesel Gen. on Solera update?

Hi,

We just ordered a 24R and were told that the factory is not installing Onan diesels at present due to a lot of warranty issues with Onan. Anyone know if they're now available?
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
Commercial Member

It was various issues. The diesel gen plant stopped producing, then they had a fire. We physically could not get them. Working on it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #25
2012 Solera

Just to add some thoughts, I like the propane generator. When we bought in 2012, the offered diesel generator was smaller - 3200 watts vs 3600 for the propane (not sure what size the new diesel gen will be). From what I can tell, the exhaust of the propane generator is essentially odor free. Not sure what exhaust emission controls will be on the new diesel generator, but doubt it would be "Blue Tech". With propane, I don't have to worry about fuel gum forming should I not run it for a while. Diesel also has the "water separator fuel filter" complexity - not on propane. While diesel has more energy per gallon - and therefore uses less fuel - until recently (propane shortage driven by severe weather) propane is a lot cheaper (about half to two thirds the price per gallon in my experience).
I rarely use the generator - occasionally to microwave some food while dry camping; to run the aircon for the dog while we have dinner or lunch on the road. The propane generator seems more trouble-free given my intermittent usage pattern.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #26

We would have liked a larger LP tank. There is not enough LP for a winter weekend at the ski slopes. Big disappointment. The incremental weight and cost difference would be well worth it.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #27

I just ended up purchasing a Honda EU6500IS for our unit for the time being.

I really miss our Onan 7.5Kw Quiet Diesel, it was noticeably quieter than the Honda and lower fuel consumption. Something that would be very nice would be if the Honda had a small catalytic converter to kill the gas engine exhaust odor.

Propane fuel for a internal combustion engine seems like a major rip-off if you use the genset much. Fuel consumption is naturally higher due to the lack of energy in the fuel. The BTU of propane is around 85,000Btu/gal VS 130,000btu/gal for diesel....pretty significant.....thus why I went with gasoline for now.(approx. 112,000btu/gal)

Gasoline gallon equivalent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At $3 a gallon, the price per BTU of Propane fuel is much more expensive , not to mention the fuel consumption is also higher....netting a double whammy on cost to operate.

However, if you don't use the generator or don't plan on using it, maybe the LP genset is the best option......however if it's not going to be used, why even spend the money in the first place on a genset?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
2012 Solera

My last propane fill preceded the recent "winter freeze" induced shortage and price run-up. I believe I have been paying $2 to $2.50 a gallon for propane. I have been paying $4 to $4.50 a gallon for "ultra-low sulfur, <5% bio" diesel. Using above "BTU/Gallon" numbers, about 37,500 BTU per dollar with propane; 30,500 BTU/dollar with diesel. Even at $3 per gallon of propane, propane is close to diesel (28,300 BTU/dollar).
Gasoline out here is hovering around $3.80 to $4 a gallon for regular unleaded - putting it 28,700 BTU per gallon - about the same as diesel or $3 per gallon propane.
As noted above, I only occasionally use the generator - but am very glad I have it when I need it - e.g., leaving the dog in the air-conditioned coach while we have a leisurely dinner or tour and outside temp is 100 degrees; running the microwave to thaw out dinner; etc...
Clearly, the diesel generator has the advantage of pulling fuel from the much larger and easier to fill vehicle tank. For my purposes, I like the propane generator's clean burning (no exhaust smell) and low maintenance (wrt fuel gum and fuel filter). In my experience, fuel cost is not the issue.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Diesel gens are back on the option sheet.

Please note, the 15k BTU A/C with heat pump is not available with the diesel gen. Diesel gen is only 3.2k. Propane gen is 3.6.

I still hope to get a larger LP tank some day, but the tank itself is 100lbs heavier not even counting the added propane weight.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #30

Quote:

Please note, the 15k BTU A/C with heat pump is not available with the diesel gen. Diesel gen is only 3.2k. Propane gen is 3.6.

I still hope to get a larger LP tank some day, but the tank itself is 100lbs heavier not even counting the added propane weight.
BC - you've made a lot of friends with that post. Seems most would go for the diesel gen if they have a choice. But, can't figure out why the A/C w/HP is not optional - only 12% difference in output, and I can't think of anywhere else using enough power to overload the 3.2KW.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #31

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
My last propane fill preceded the recent "winter freeze" induced shortage and price run-up. I believe I have been paying $2 to $2.50 a gallon for propane. I have been paying $4 to $4.50 a gallon for "ultra-low sulfur, <5% bio" diesel. Using above "BTU/Gallon" numbers, about 37,500 BTU per dollar with propane; 30,500 BTU/dollar with diesel. Even at $3 per gallon of propane, propane is close to diesel (28,300 BTU/dollar).

Wow, I wish we could get propane that cheap here in PA. It's been between $3.50 and $6 a gallon around here...LOL(Way more expensive per BTU)

Quote:

No offering of the 6Kw or 8Kw QuietDiesel ? Booooo !!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #32
Commercial Member

We only have so much space on a 24' unit. Eventually you have more generator than living space.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #33

We just looked at the 2015 24R and fell in love with it. I asked the dealer how big the propane tank was, and he said 20 gal. I didn't look at the tank to verify. However, when I got home, I looked up the spec sheet and found out the LP tank is only 9.8! We mostly dry camp and during the summer need to run the A/C most of the afternoon. With an LP tank that small, we'd run out way too quickly. So was the dealer wrong, or do the newer models have a larger tank?
Hmnbrdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #34

Make sure you are not equating pounds to gallons.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #35

It's probably 9.8 gallons but you can fit a larger tank. The larger tanks are heavy. When doing extensive dry camping, I bring along a Honda EU2000 generator. It weighs around 70 lbs and will run the A/C all night long on just over a gallon on of gas. It's also VERY quiet.
Sure a diesel generator would be nice, but they weren't available when I purchased my 24S a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mphair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair View Post
It's probably 9.8 gallons but you can fit a larger tank. The larger tanks are heavy. When doing extensive dry camping, I bring along a Honda EU2000 generator. It weighs around 70 lbs and will run the A/C all night long on just over a gallon on of gas. It's also VERY quiet.
Sure a diesel generator would be nice, but they weren't available when I purchased my 24S a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

We have the 15K AC Unit and are considering the Honda EU2000 Companion inverter generator because of the 30A plug. Does anyone here know if that would be enough power to run the 15K AC unit? Otherwise, we would additionally purchase a EU2000 and a parallel cable. Also under a full load the 1 gal. run time is only about 4 hours according to the Honda website.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #37

I don't believe the Honda 2000 will run a 15k AC...I could be wrong, there are some others with more direct experience with this issue around here...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I don't believe the Honda 2000 will run a 15k AC...I could be wrong, there are some others with more direct experience with this issue around here...
Absolutely correct Taran. You'll be a bit shy there with your Honda 2000. Well.. not really even close.

Without shore power I'll typically run my 2 Yahama 2000's in parallel if I'm just desperate for a little A/C, but even then it's quite a load. You can forget ecomode.

Life saver?? A 12v socket and one of these:

Amazon.com: Fan-Tastic Vent 01100WH Endless Breeze 12V Fan: Automotive
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #39

Yes, I have had both and have a very strong opinion. It all boils down to the on- board availability of fuel. With diesel in a diesel coach, fuel is readily available and no special effort is required to refill the tank the generator draws from. Propane sucks up your propane from your tank, is limited by how much propane you have and is basically a pain in the a-- because filling with propane is certainly not as convenient as going to the diesel pump!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #40
Commercial Member

We're still looking at a larger tank...but the tank is 200lbs not including the extra weight of the propane.

Can't someone make a nice lightweight aluminum LP tank?

Tags
diesel, generator, propane