Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Generator Issue

We have a 2013 Solera 24r with the diesel generator we bought this spring. The generator kicks off after a couple of minutes when the air conditioner is turned on and shows an overload error on the display. (The generator only had a couple of hours on it at the time.) We've taken it in twice and the first time they replaced "the capacitor" in the air conditioner and told us it was fixed. When I picked it up it blew immediately when I tried it. We had a 2 week trip planned starting the following day so they said to bring it back after. I tried it a couple of more times while we were traveling with the same result. Well we took it in and now the shop can not make it blow. I suspect this is because the temperature is no longer in the 90s.
My questions are:
1. Anyone else have this issue?
2. Our dealer says that they will report to the factory that we are having the issue and it will be covered under warranty if this happens next summer. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Thanks
EagleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Very few of us have the diesel gen. I have the propane, it seems to work fine.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Our salesman told us the diesel generator could only run the smaller air conditioner so if u have the larger upgraded unit with the heat pump maybe that's the problem
That's why we went with propane
Wanted bigger unit
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #4

What size generator do you have: how many running watts?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #5

We have the smaller air conditioner to match the diesel generator. 3.2KW generator and the standard 13,500 air conditioner.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

We had a similar problem. First we were told before putting the AC to wait for the Microwave to come on. That worked but then we started having problems keeping the generator running. The change oil code came on so we had the oil changed in the generator and everything is working properly.
Marque74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #7

We have the 3.6kw Propane Genny. SWMBO just HAD to have her Keurig on board… found out cannot run the Keurig, the microwave, and the AC all at once!!! Guess we need to go to a Prevost next time for her to have ALL her conveniences!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Navion IQ 24V

I have pretty much the same set up with the Coleman 14,800 BTU Heat pump & 3200 watt Onan Diesel genny. It has performed flawless thus far. I would bring it to the cummins dealer & have them load test it to be sure.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #9

At 3.2 kw, this will give you 26 amps available to run 120 volts appliances and converter. AC will take app 14 amps, water heater app 11 amps which already gives you 26 amps. So any more load on it will cause an overload eg: converter supplying battery and lights, tv on, microwave alone takes 13 amps on high setting. So maybe your generator is OK and you need to manage use of electricity more closely. If you put your water heater on propane only when using AC it will let you have more amps for other appliances.... Have a look at this post it will help with amps draw for appliances in RV......

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #10

It overloads with nothing on but the AC unit. Water heater is propane only, fridge was off. Microwave clock comes on and the battery charger would have been on a trickle since we were fully charged, but that was it. It has LED lighting, but they were off too.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhog56 View Post
I have pretty much the same set up with the Coleman 14,800 BTU Heat pump & 3200 watt Onan Diesel genny. It has performed flawless thus far. I would bring it to the cummins dealer & have them load test it to be sure.
Great advice. I'm going to follow it.
Thanks!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #12

We have a 2013 24R and have had generator problems since we have had it. The generator is an LP model and the A/C I believe is the 13,500 BTU model.

The generator starts fine and runs until you start the A/C. Outside temp was above 90 degrees and inside the coach was over 85. Generator ran fine for about 18 minutes and then just quit. No error codes displayed. Only thing running was the A/C. Have taken it to Cummins twice and they can't find the problem. So far they say no problems with the generator, and CW says they can't find the problem seems I'm the one with the problem!
Tinbender1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbender1947 View Post
We have a 2013 24R and have had generator problems since we have had it. The generator is an LP model and the A/C I believe is the 13,500 BTU model. The generator starts fine and runs until you start the A/C. Outside temp was above 90 degrees and inside the coach was over 85. Generator ran fine for about 18 minutes and then just quit. No error codes displayed. Only thing running was the A/C. Have taken it to Cummins twice and they can't find the problem. So far they say no problems with the generator, and CW says they can't find the problem seems I'm the one with the problem!
Oh man, sounds just pretty close to my problem. Not good. Anyone else?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Are any breakers tripping? I know at one time the A/C breaker next to another breaker (can't remember which) one created enough heat to trip. If the Gen is just cutting out???? no breaker tripped, that is strange.

Again, I know there are fuel pump issues with Onan but that has been on gas, not LP.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Are any breakers tripping? I know at one time the A/C breaker next to another breaker (can't remember which) one created enough heat to trip. If the Gen is just cutting out???? no breaker tripped, that is strange.

Again, I know there are fuel pump issues with Onan but that has been on gas, not LP.
Nope no breakers are tripping for the A/C. After a few minutes you can restart the Generator, and wait 2-3 minutes and restart the A/C. Most times the a/c will only run for a minute or less. We had the Coach at Cummins twice and the last time they load tested the unit for several hours without a problem. However the problem still persists. Camping World can't find the source of the problem either. Now it's a little too cool to run the A/C, will have to wait til warmer weather.
Tinbender1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #16

For what it is worth I have the LP unit on my 24R and took it to the dealer 3 times because it would backfire under load and quit. They had some back fires when putting it under load, but it would not quit. They would run it for an hour or two and pronounce it fixed. End result was 5 more hours on my unit and still backfiring when you started it on a warm day. Cold day with no load it would kill. I purchased a new $2.55 Champion spark plug at the auto supply store, threw away the NKG, and problem solved. Used it last week cold enough for snow on the ground running an electric heater in the rig and it works just fine.
3886john is offline   Reply With Quote