Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
2011 Georgetown 350TS

GPS in Solera

Newbie here...I am picking up my 2013 Solera s in 3 weeks. What GPS system does it come with and are you satisfied with it's peformance?
Leismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Worked great for me on my trip from Indiana to Georgia. Still have much to learn about it. It is quick to tell you when you are over the speed limit. Was impressed with the accuracy of all side roads and exits. You will have a blast with your new Solera. Drive safe.
Trail blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leismom View Post
Newbie here...I am picking up my 2013 Solera s in 3 weeks. What GPS system does it come with and are you satisfied with it's peformance?
Your Solera will come with the Magnadyne M4-LCD in-dash radio. There have apparently been some problems with this unit in the past, apparently corrected with a firmware upgrade a few months back. I have this unit in my solera (Delivered in January) and have had no problems. The GPS has a lot of nice functions. Map software is updateable only by removing the unit from the dash to access a connection in the rear, and you must partiallly disassemble the dash to gain access. The radio is wired into the TV and DVDs played on the radio are viewable on the TV. Although the radio is "Sirius/XM ready, you'll have to purchase a Sirius/XM receiver and antenna for this feature. There is a built-in connector for an iphone/ipod/ipad (using the older 30-pin connector). One problem you'll notice is the dim lighting during daylight driving: the problem is that the MB headlights come on whenever the ignition is on, and the radio is connected into the headlights and automatically dims - you have to manually go back to the home screen and change the display to brighten it. If you pull the radio to install Sirius/XM or do a firmware/map update you may consider clipping the wire which senses the headlights - then of course you'd have to manually dim the display at night.

All in all, the M4-LCD is a feature-packed unit with adequate power. I've been pleased with it in my Solera, but there have been numerous negative reviews of it on the forum.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

I have a Magnadyne in my Solera and the problem I had last year was it would shut down on me just at a time when I really needed it. I take my Garmin along now for GPS and just use the Magnadyne for the other features on it.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
2011 Georgetown 350TS

Does the garmin have any special features that would warn you about low height tunnels and other places that the RV should not go?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

My nuvi 255W version does I keep it updated on a regular basis.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Could you elaborate further on the firmware update. Specifically on how and where the update is added. Thanks
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

I took the SD card out of the unit and put it into my computer, went through the update process and received a message stating that the unit and software were up to date. If you know any thing else on the matter I'd appreciate the help.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Well said Taylorgso...that saved me a lot of typing. I rarely use the GPS portion, because I have TomTom on my iPhone..but lately I've been using Google Maps on my iPhone with turn by turn directions. It is sooooo much faster than any nav unit I've used.

With most (if not all nav units) you have to type in the address...number, city, state. Or navigate to a POI.

Google maps...you basically do a google search for what you want...it searches, then you just hit the "Car" icon and it will give you route options and everything. Pretty slick I must say.

There is a ton that the M4 can do...it just whether you want it to. One of my favorite features is to connect your bluetooth enabled phone for hands free calling...if your phone has music...just hit play and it will stream the music via bluetooth. So you don't need to use the iPod dock. I prefer to use the phones music controls over the M4 on screen display.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

I decided to try to update my SD card yesterday, after running it through the update which came back again stating that my software was up to date. BUT when I put it back into the unit and ran the navigation system I got a message stating that the software was out of date. I don't get it?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Did you get my PM with the Magnadyne contact?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I decided to try to update my SD card yesterday, after running it through the update which came back again stating that my software was up to date. BUT when I put it back into the unit and ran the navigation system I got a message stating that the software was out of date. I don't get it?
I really have been trying to stay out of this thread, but can't help myself :-(

After we contacted Magnadyne and they sent us the updated SD card, we had our dealer put it in. Worked fine for one week. Then it started doing the crashing thing again when we put on the GPS. It really got to where it was more of a headache to reset everything - so we quit using the GPS. I really didnt use it much for directions anyway - but I did like to know approx time I would arrive at my destination. Anyway, we replaced the Magnadyne with a top of the line Kenwood unit. Made a world of difference, not only can I use the GPS, but the sound is incredible!

As I've said many times, I love my Solera, the Magnadyne, not so much.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #13

Yes I did get the contact info am waiting for the tech to contact me now.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #14

For new readers here - I decided that the Magnadyne wasn't worth trying to fix, so I replaced it with a Kenwood, just like DebbieMH did, and I am now a happy camper.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #15

Magnadyne is sending me the SD cards to update and fix the problem and it's not costing me a dime. Plus they told me if I need any more help just call them up and a tech will be there to help.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Magnadyne is sending me the SD cards to update and fix the problem and it's not costing me a dime. Plus they told me if I need any more help just call them up and a tech will be there to help.
Hope it works for you.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #17

I agree with bc
Stream music and navigate with iPhone
Can even charge iPhone when dry camping
Magnadyne was wonderful when we had problems and authorized a new one right away
when i had issues, plays DVDs great
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I agree with bc
Stream music and navigate with iPhone
Can even charge iPhone when dry camping
Magnadyne was wonderful when we had problems and authorized a new one right away
when i had issues, plays DVDs great
The fellow we talked to at Magnadyne was also very helpful. To be fair, after the Magnadyne crashed after putting in the new SD card, we never called Magnadyne to let them know, so we never gave them another chance to fix it. I am old fashioned and wanted a knob to be able to turn up and down the volume. To the OP - we all have different likes and unlikes - wait to make a decision until after you have gotten used to it.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
2011 Georgetown 350TS

Thanks for all the responses...I will give the magnadyne a chance..
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #20

DebbieMH, can you tell me which model kenwood you bought. Our magnadyne is brand new in our 14 Sunseeker, but is already a dud. We lost a speaker channel, it grinds like a coffee grinder for about 5 min. when you turn it on. It's under warranty, but I know that will be long and drawn out. We are taking a cross country trip on June, so I'd rather just pay for DVD radio that will be reliable. Thanks for any info.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote